ICF All Time Test XI : Openers

ICF All Time Test XI : Openers  

1. 1.

I dont think there is a huge difference in any of these guys. They all are worthy of it and anyone can make it because if one is 9.5 than another one is 9.6 and then it has always been a fashion to glorify the old age.
That's true actually. However, the new trend is dangerous too - compare them to lesser than average players and belittle the old players. I am against glorifying and deprecating. Also, meaningless comparisons are bred and then "you would be shying away from this great opportunity."
That's true actually. However' date=' the new trend is dangerous too - compare them to lesser than average players and belittle the old players. I am against glorifying and deprecating. Also, meaningless comparisons are bred and then "you would be shying away from this great opportunity."[/quote'] :agree: I will mostly only like talk about players which I have seen or we have enough footage available.
Len Hutton and Sunil Gavaskar would do very well for me. Hobbs coming in a close third. I could have gone with either of these three gentlemen really. Hayden in the line-up? Nah. Nor should Gooch and Boycott in my opinion. Then again whether you placed Morris, Greenidge etc my pick wouldnt have changed so its all good. Now if Barry Richards was in that would have made me think a bit ;)
That's true actually. However' date=' the new trend is dangerous too - compare them to lesser than average players and belittle the old players. I am against glorifying and deprecating. Also, meaningless comparisons are bred and then "you would be shying away from this great opportunity."[/quote'] I tried to maintain a balance in the poll choices across the eras - the software does not allow more than 10 poll options. Guess will add Barry Richards as the tenth option since there have been 2-3 voices for him.
:agree: I will mostly only like talk about players which I have seen or we have enough footage available.
RKT - This is what most sensible people will do as well. We all have our favorite players but we should always be a little bit apprehensive as personal bias can always lead to fanatic reactions. A little bit of introspection never hurts and then "you can hold a straight face in real life while saying it". :winky:
:agree: I will mostly only like talk about players which I have seen or we have enough footage available.
In which case... 1. You should call ur team as - My XI of those that I saw or have watched - and not all time XI. 2. Be equally appreciative that just as u have ur own criteria of selection so would the others.

i picked gavaskar and hayden thought it will be perfect combination.... hayden isnt a bad player he was bad in england in2005 but after tht changed his gae a bit played well in south africa too moreover he always scared me when we played against australia :D

hayden is a far better opener than motu..cant even think of having motu in the X1..just cant bat if theres a tinge of grass, and please dont tell me he scored 100 in saf nd england in difficult conditions, yes he did, but that was 10 years ago, presently he is a liability outside asia

RKT - This is what most sensible people will do as well. We all have our favorite players but we should always be a little bit apprehensive as personal bias can always lead to fanatic reactions. A little bit of introspection never hurts and then "you can hold a straight face in real life while saying it". :winky:
:--D
In which case... 1. You should call ur team as - My XI of those that I saw or have watched - and not all time XI. 2. Be equally appreciative that just as u have ur own criteria of selection so would the others.
I am not denying the players I have not seen cannot be all time great They will be, but as I do not have much idea about them and cricket has changed a lot since 1920s, 30s, 40s and we will be choosing players based on today's criteria, not for 1900s.
I am not denying the players I have not seen cannot be all time great They will be' date=' but as I do not have much idea about them and cricket has changed a lot since 1920s, 30s, 40s and we will be choosing players based on today's criteria, not for 1900s.[/quote'] Just being curious here, If you decided to make an All time Indian XI who are the contenders for the coveted all-rounder slot?? This is for Test cricket of course.
Just being curious here' date=' If you decided to make an All time Indian XI who are the contenders for the coveted all-rounder slot?? This is for Test cricket of course.[/quote'] I wont even have contenders. Only one guy all the way.
And that would be Kapil Dev I presume? Nobody else was even considered? Why so if I may ask. By the by how much of Kapil Dev did you see? As in his prime years say 1980-1985?
Not much live, have only seen him live at the end of his career, that too faint memories, but have watched him through old match footage telecast on TV. His out swinger was one of the best a fast bowler can have.
Not much live' date=' have only seen him live at the end of his career, but have watched him through old match footage telecast on TV.[/quote'] Which old footage are we talking about here? 175* against Zimbabwe 9-83 against West Indies 8 odd wickets against Pakistan Century in Tied test 85 Benson Hedges semis and finals. Which one? Lets be specific since that seems to be your criteria here.
Which old footage are we talking about here? 175* against Zimbabwe 9-83 against West Indies 8 odd wickets against Pakistan Century in Tied test Which one? Lets be specific since that seems to be your criteria here.
Not anyone of these. Ab jo bhi TV pe aye hain vahi dekhe hain. 86 England tour videos. World championships 85 and 86 in Australia, cannot be more specific because they just show highlights. I know what you are trying to apply. I have not seen his top years, but still I have some clue about him. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2SoSL9pU8U]Kapil Dev 5-28 vs Aus Melbourne 1980-81 - YouTube[/ame] [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AsSJw_QnKk]Kapil Dev 97 off 93 balls 3rd test vs England 1982 - YouTube[/ame] [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxlon6PWMOM]Kapil Dev 4 sixes in a row (To avoid Follow On) - YouTube[/ame]
Not anyone of these. Ab jo bhi TV pe aye hain vahi dekhe hain. 86 England tour videos. World championships 85 and 86 in Australia, cannot be more specific because they just show highlights. I know what you are trying to apply. I have not seen his top years, but still I have some clue about him.
Tamaam umr ka hisaab maangti hai zindagi ye mera dil kare to kya?..ke khud se sharam-saar hai. Bhai saab you are gonna judge the greatness of 130 odd Test and 200 plus LOI by a 10 minute highlight? And then claim you pick Kapil Dev because you "saw" him play? You realize how weird that sounds? Without having a personal go at you, maybe its time you realize that your criteria of picking players based on "who I saw play or watched" is hugely compromised. Maybe next thing you gonna say is you have picked Shivlal Yadav as the offie because you never saw a clip of Erappali Prasanna on YouTube as well. :winky: