Hail Warne!

He is seeking German passport to play in English county as a non-overseas player. Why is he so much attracted to Pommies? Even in the Football WC, he gave out quotes supporting England over Australia. He must have developed a liking of Pommie girls after all. Warne investigating prospect of German passport August 18, 2007 11:41 IST Top Emailed Features Former Australia leg-spinner Shane Warne [Images] is trying to find out if he qualifies for a German passport in order to represent Hampshire as a non-overseas player. "My mum was German," the Hampshire captain told reporters on the eve of Saturday's domestic one-day final against Durham at Lord's. "She came over to Australia when she was, I think, four or five. "With only one overseas (player allowed) next year, it's something we're looking at." English counties are currently allowed two overseas players but that will be reduced to one next season. Players holding European Union passports, however, do not count towards the quota and if Warne could obtain a German passport it would allow Hampshire to sign another overseas player. The 37-year-old Australian retired from Test cricket in January but is contracted to Hampshire until the end of next season. Warne took a world record 708 wickets in 145 Tests.

Seriously speaking , this is pathetic. What is happening is a deliberate manipulation of rules so that "law" isnt broken. The primary reason for the English to say only one overseas players per season was to encourage local talent. That whole aim is destroyed if some player , who is not british even in a single sense , manages to get an EU passport and has a backdoor entry. The rule and rule-makers are made to look really stupid here. If i were the person who originally drafted that " Single overseas player per season" rule , i would immediately call an emergency meet of the committee and add a clause which says that foreign nationals who acquired EU citizenship in the last 5 years will not fall in this category.

In fact, I don't think just one overseas players would be doing much good to England. Two overseas players had brought quality competition, and just 9 local players per county had made their pyramid sharper. I wonder why they reverted back to just one overseas per county!

This happens in football (soccer) as well. In countries like France, Italy and Spain, clubs can only have 3 or 4 (depending on the country) non-EU players in their squad. It's a fixed quota which can't be violated. Foreign players can get around this by obtaining EU passports - many South American footballers in particular, have roots in European countries, which makes it easier for them to obtain work permits

Donny, I know all this news of Warne considering German citizenship is mere speculation and rumor-mongering at best , but what would your reaction be , if it were later known that this was true. A hypothetical question i know , but would like your thoughts on this dearly.