'Hitler' shop upsets Jewish community, others in Ahmedabad

1983-2011

You weren't thick enough to believe he was a hero to ALL INDIANS just because the book is freely available there? Pretty straightforward stuff but I didn't realise you needed it to be explicitly spelled out!
It was a generalization. Why don't you make a generalization for Australia - Hitler is looked upon as some sort of hero in Australia because Mein Kapmf is sold there? Why the eagerness for "some nut cases"?

It was a generalization. Why don't you make a generalization for Australia - Hitler is looked upon as some sort of hero in Australia because Mein Kapmf is sold there? Why the eagerness for "some nut cases"?
It is implicitly implied in the criticism of Mein Kampf not being country specific. Otherwise, it can be safely assumed that Hitler is a worldwide hero given that Mein Kampf is available in most countries!

By way of illustration, Mein Kampf is available in America. Do you take that to understand that he is a hero to ALL AMERICANS merely because the book is freely available there? or A hero to some nut cases who read his book and subscribe to his ideology? Even if the phrase "some nut cases" was not explicitly present in the second statement, I have no idea how anyone will choose the first statement. Seems like you did, care to explain how? :facepalm:

It is implicitly implied in the criticism of Mein Kampf not being country specific. Otherwise, it can be safely assumed that Hitler is a worldwide hero given that Mein Kampf is available in most countries!
That's what your Lahori logic implies. In fact you even tried to make us believe that Mein Kampf is banned in Australia through some fairy tale legislation in order to distance Australia from the bloody disgrace that India is doing by allowing it to be sold. :hysterical:

By way of illustration, Mein Kampf is available in America. Do you take that to understand that he is a hero to ALL AMERICANS merely because the book is freely available there? or A hero to some nut cases who read his book and subscribe to his ideology? Even if the phrase "some nut cases" was not explicitly present in the second statement, I have no idea how anyone will choose the first statement. Seems like you did, care to explain how? :facepalm:
If I use the phrase, "Hitler is a hero in America because Mein Kampf is freely available in America", it is a generalization implying that a significant percentage of the population if not the majority consider Hitler to be a hero. That's how English language is used in most places outside Australia. Mein Kampf is available in Germany as well, would anyone in his right mind say, "Hitler is a hero in Germany because Mein Kampf is available there"?:facepalm:

You debunked your own logic. Thanks for saving me the trouble, I was getting no where. Mein Kampf being freely available means nothing without the context - People may read it out of curiosity, people may read it because they may harbour Nazi sympathies, people with comprehension problems like yourself may read it when they got nothing better to do. Hitler being considered a hero in Germany because Mein Kampf being available in Germany is the reasoning of an idiot - No person with any understanding of Second World War would ever come to that conclusion! Seems you have tho!

You debunked your own logic. Thanks for saving me the trouble, I was getting no where. Mein Kampf being freely available means nothing without the context - People may read it out of curiosity, people may read it because they may harbour Nazi sympathies, people with comprehension problems like yourself may read it when they got nothing better to do. Hitler being considered a hero in Germany because Mein Kampf being available in Germany is the reasoning of an idiot - No person with any understanding of Second World War would ever come to that conclusion! Seems you have tho!
Similarly no sane person would say that since Mein Kampf is freely available in India, Hitler is a hero in India. Oh wait, never mind, I said sane.

Similarly no sane person would say that since Mein Kampf is freely available in India' date=' Hitler is a hero in India. Oh wait, never mind, I said sane.[/quote'] Your comprehension problems are being highlighted once again. India was largely un affected by Hitlers atrocities during World War 2. The reason for its popularity in India is merely due to peoples's curiosity over why Hitler was so reviled in the West. For that reason, it is just another piece of literature. If the book is freely available in a country that harbours significant Neo Nazi sympathies, than their reasons for the the book's popularity would be different. I can't explain it any simpler than that! If you think I was making generalisations, than thats due to your misinterpretation. Given your history of purposefully misinterpreting others statement, I am not too fussed! :fishing:

Your comprehension problems are being highlighted once again. India was largely un affected by Hitlers atrocities during World War 2. The reason for its popularity in India is merely due to peoples's curiosity over why Hitler was so reviled in the West. For that reason, it is just another piece of literature.
Curiosity = Being considered a hero? Keep them coming.:hysterical:

^ There are Neo-Nazi groups in the US as well. Would anyone in his right mind make a statement that Hitler is a hero in the US? There are some people in India who consider Hitler to be a hero. Would anyone in his right mind make a statement that Hitler is a hero in India? You just made that statement. What does it say about your mind?

Personally, I don't think this has anything to with history or is used to disrespect the Jewish community in India or elsewhere. Its just that in the Indian context, 'Hitler' is used as a substitute for strict. A strict disciplinarian is called a Hitler. My mother often uses the term 'Hitler' for referring to her father in law while talking with her siblings/friends . Its just one of those words/names we Indians use in a harmless context, mostly driven by our lack of GK. There was a Mithun da movie too which was called Hitler. Like all other Mithun movies, I couldn't watch it past the 20 mins mark, but I'm sure Lurker must have seen it completely. He could tell you all more about it. :P

There are Neo-Nazi groups in the US as well. Would anyone in his right mind make a statement that Hitler is a hero in the US? There are some people in India who consider Hitler to be a hero. Would anyone in his right mind make a statement that Hitler is a hero in India? You just made that statement. What does it say about your mind?
Hitler is not an obscure figure people forget in a hurry. I would question the rationale of the person who cannot differentiate the implicit assumption in the statement of him being a hero to the minority. Either they have no understanding of history or they are just being pedantic over wording. Which category do you fall under?

Personally, I don't think this has anything to with history or is used to disrespect the Jewish community in India or elsewhere. Its just that in the Indian context, 'Hitler' is used as a substitute for strict. A strict disciplinarian is called a Hitler.
Yeah, that's true. School level books in India mainly focus on World War II in the context of Hitler. There is little mention of the holocaust. Anyway, the shop owners have agreed to change the name if the Jewish community can compensate them for it for Rs. 40,000. That should put an end to the matter.

When cornered, do a runner! Typical :fishing: In before you get your buddies to close the thread!
Sree_OZ: Hitler is a hero in India because Mein Kampf is sold there. But, Mein Kampf is sold across the world including Australia. Sree_OZ: No it is not sold in Australia. It is banned by legislation. But, here are links of bookstores selling it. Sree_OZ: It's a Nazi conspiracy with messed up search engines. Okay, but they also show availability in stores. Sree_OZ: It's banned by legislation. Which legislation? Sree_OZ: I don't know but any country who sells it is a disgrace. Why did you single out and generalize against India? Sree_OZ: Blah Blah Blah. Chalo, thanks for the entertainment. Look forward to reading the legislation tomorrow. Later!