The US OPEN 2013/US OPEN SERIES

Cricketics

He has been a good player for a while but quite inconsistent. Hard hitter and plays his shots. Very highly rated as a youngster. In Hindsight, this being Murrays first few matches for a while and Gulbis being in good form recently, not a huge shock. Still no one saw this coming.

gulbis is in the form of his life,should have defeated nadal in miami.. hopefuly he can make the most of it at USO and cause some major upsets.. murray will be back to his best at cinci and USO,he`ll most likely win both

Major upsets. Murray, Delpo, Berdych, Ferrer all out before quarters. From top seeds we have only Nadal, Djoko and Gasquet left. You can include Raonic as well if you consider 11th as top. Lower half is completely open and we may have Djoko and Nadal in top half.

^Rafa beats Novak ! 6-4 3-6 7-6 (7-2). A little surprising perhaps' date=' goes on to meet Raonic in final[/quote'] Yes. Rafa wins..:two_thumbs_up: and I am waiting for people to come and say it was a slow hard court :cantstop: This win has huge significance in context of US open and in general in men's tennis. Now Djokovic has lost his last three crucial meeting against top players - Nadal (FO), Murray (Wimbledon) and now again Nadal. Now Djoko has lost 5 off last 6 matches to Nadal. Nadal defeats Djoko first time on hard court since US Open 2010. Seems like Nadal has completely exorcised ghost of Djoko which he had in 2011, when he lost to 7 consecutive finals to him.

Yes. Rafa wins..:two_thumbs_up: and I am waiting for people to come and say it was a slow hard court :cantstop: This win has huge significance in context of US open and in general in men's tennis. Now Djokovic has lost his last three crucial meeting against top players - Nadal (FO), Murray (Wimbledon) and now again Nadal. Now Djoko has lost 5 off last 6 matches to Nadal. Nadal defeats Djoko first time on hard court since US Open 2010. Seems like Nadal has completely exorcised ghost of Djoko which he had in 2011, when he lost to 7 consecutive finals to him.
I would not read THAT much into it, though yes it is significant. Rafa has exorcised the Novak ghost but think Novak is strong enough for it not have a big bearing, even this match seemed to come down to very narrowest of margins. Rafa will beat Raonic, itll be nice if Raonic can take a set at least though- he might do. Home crowd behind him. I like Raonic would be good to see him progress into later stages of slams more often

Yes. Rafa wins..:two_thumbs_up: and I am waiting for people to come and say it was a slow hard court :cantstop: This win has huge significance in context of US open and in general in men's tennis. Now Djokovic has lost his last three crucial meeting against top players - Nadal (FO), Murray (Wimbledon) and now again Nadal. Now Djoko has lost 5 off last 6 matches to Nadal. Nadal defeats Djoko first time on hard court since US Open 2010. Seems like Nadal has completely exorcised ghost of Djoko which he had in 2011, when he lost to 7 consecutive finals to him.
That was the quickest court of the year so far, usually Cinci is the quickest, so it might get even more wild next week. Overally it was a very good match, some very good exchanges from the baseline, a bit of variety in between it all, but by in large it was baseline exchanges with lots of free points. Djokovic has been very weak in big moments recently, a far cry from what he's done in the last 2 years. Nadal was very aggressive yesterday and starting out the blocks like a sprinter. Had Djokovic not gone in with such over confidence, he'd probably have countered Nadal's furious start. I don't read much in this match, only fools would read too much into it. The biggest defeat of the year was the RG SF to Nadal, other than that, it's been a pretty ordinary show from Djokovic. He'll recover I'm sure, but he needs to find that never give attitude, once he does, normal order should be restored. One other thing, I don't read too much into stats unless it shows the full story, you said Nadal has won 5 out of 6 meetings, well how many of those were on his favoured clay?

Good on Rafa but please let's not make much out of his victory today and put it that he has edge over Djokovic. They played a very close game today and if someone really needs to be worried about consistency then it got to be Murray and not Djoker. Djokovic would be disapointed to lose again but he is a tough player. He would come back and beat Nadal eventually.

I think it's safe to say, when both finally call it a day, Nadal and Djokovic, this rivalary will go down as the greatest rivalry that the sport has ever seen. They're just 2 matches short of the Lendl-Mac records, so you'd imagine they'd comfortably surpass and leave a legacy so massive you'll feel the effect for years to come. Nadal holds the overall H2H advantage, 21-15, if they continue to play for the next 3 years, it could end up 30-15 to Nadal or 25-21 to Djokovic, or more probably 26-22 or something like that. They have so many epic matches, not all of them have been 5 sets, it's a joy to watch. I mean if you go through the past matches, there's just so many epics, so so many. 2010 USO 2011 USO 2012 AO 2013 FO 2011 RM 2012 MM 2011 Miami 2011 IW 2009 Madrid I think the highest quality of tennis I've ever seen is the 3rd set of the 2011 USO.

I think it's safe to say, when both finally call it a day, Nadal and Djokovic, this rivalary will go down as the greatest rivalry that the sport has ever seen. They're just 2 matches short of the Lendl-Mac records, so you'd imagine they'd comfortably surpass and leave a legacy so massive you'll feel the effect for years to come. Nadal holds the overall H2H advantage, 21-15, if they continue to play for the next 3 years, it could end up 30-15 to Nadal or 25-21 to Djokovic, or more probably 26-22 or something like that. They have so many epic matches, not all of them have been 5 sets, it's a joy to watch. I mean if you go through the past matches, there's just so many epics, so so many. 2010 USO 2011 USO 2012 AO 2013 FO 2011 RM 2012 MM 2011 Miami 2011 IW 2009 Madrid I think the highest quality of tennis I've ever seen is the 3rd set of the 2011 USO.
Your first post which I wholeheartedly agree. It is not just the number of matches, the way they compete against each-other is just awesome. They bring best out of each other. They already have so many epics. More or less it has been rivalry among equals. Though there have been spells where one dominated other but then other always manages to fina a way to come out of that grip.