****Maharashtra Assembly Elections 2014 Thread***

G_B_

Amit shah probably wont work in maharashtra. In UP is was one party the bjp he was controlling (apna dal as well). You cant do what Amit Shah did in UP in maharashtra with two relatively equal allies in the Sena and the BJP. The MNS will play a spoiler but the smaller parties like RPI and SSS will add about 15 seats between them and aid the Sena BJP in another 15-20. I think the Sena-BJP should concentrate on their own strengths.

how long he can go?
a lot longer than people think. The true key to sena power is victory in the BMC municipal elections which yields them close to 400 crore a year. Thats how they fund their cadre and other activities in assembly and lok sabha etc. Without the BMC the sena would have faded away a long time ago. Similarly MNS at the moment is funded by Nashik municipal corporation. Raj T wants to become a kingmaker in the BMC elections in 2017. That will give him a financial leverage. In maharashtra if you are not in power the municipalities you control give you power. Sena have Mumbai. NCP have Navi mumbai and Pune region and BJP have Nagpur. The congress have nothing.So if the NCP Congress do lose there is going to be a major deficit of money considering they dont have anything to fall back on.

^ Amit shah don't have to do what he done in UP, here it should be easier. Important thing is not become complacent & underestimate opposition.
42 of 48 seats have gone to the alliance. The RSS seat of power is in Nagpur. More than Modi in rural maharashtra there was a large scale RSS deplyoment. That RSS infrastructure is still very much intact for the assembly. So the strategy is simple. Have 2-3 Modi rallies in the Mumbai region. Leave the rest to the RSS.

42 of 48 seats have gone to the alliance. The RSS seat of power is in Nagpur. More than Modi in rural maharashtra there was a large scale RSS deplyoment. That RSS infrastructure is still very much intact for the assembly. So the strategy is simple. Have 2-3 Modi rallies in the Mumbai region. Leave the rest to the RSS.
Still no need to complacent. This is golden opportunity. Who is that SS idiots who want plum posts in Central govt,looks like they don't know about Modi nor know about total number of seats BJP having.

Still no need to complacent. This is golden opportunity. Who is that SS idiots who want plum posts in Central govt,looks like they don't know about Modi nor know about total number of seats BJP having.
The sena wants plumb posts in central cabinet as the oldest partner of the BJP and because assembly elections are coming up so they can boast that a vote for the sena is a vote for your voice in the state and nationally. Plus its bargaining. Say you want the biggest posts and you settle for more lower rung posts. If you say you are ok with what the BJP give then you will get nothing good of note. Truth be told both the sena and akalis do need to be rewarded for sticking with the bjp through thick and thin.

and one thing the alliance can do is register voters. They won despite a scam to delete names. I feel without that they would have won 46 seats with all the names in the hat. Register those who could not vote.

Cong-NCP will do a lot better in the assembly elections as compared to LS because MNS, which has significant local presence in many areas, will divide the BJP-SS votes. On the ground, MNS seems to be gaining in popularity while SS seems to be in a bit of a decline. This will ultimately benefit Cong-NCP. I won't even be surprised if Cong-NCP can win the elections.

Cong-NCP will do a lot better in the assembly elections as compared to LS because MNS' date=' which has significant local presence in many areas, will divide the BJP-SS votes. On the ground, MNS seems to be gaining in popularity while SS seems to be in a bit of a decline. This will ultimately benefit Cong-NCP. I won't even be surprised if Cong-NCP can win the elections.[/quote'] Yes, would agree. Although the impact of LS elections would be felt in the assembly elections. Their would be a lot of demoralized booth workers and not a united party or partnership Cong-NCP.

Ex-CM Ashok Chavan could be disqualified for ‘paid news’

MUMBAI: There seems to be fresh trouble in store for former chief minister Ashok Chavan with the Election Commission asking him to appear before it on May 23 for allegedly giving incorrect accounts of his poll expenses during the 2009 state legislative assembly elections. In case the poll panel disqualifies him as an MLA (from Nanded), he may face similar action in the event of his being elected as an MP from Nanded in this election. "If the EC accepts my contention, he will be disqualified as a legislator for three years with immediate effect. As such, he will be disqualified automatically even if he wins the Lok Sabha election,'' Madhav Kinhalkar, the complainant who had lost to Chavan in the 2009 elections, told TOI. Chavan was not available for comment. Last week, the Supreme Court had dismissed Chavan's plea that the EC had no power to probe the allegations of 'paid news' against him. Kinhalkar said Sections 77 and 78 of the Representation of Peoples Act provide for election expenses and filing of accounts with the district election officer, while Section 10-A deals with disqualification for failure to lodge an account of election expenses. Chavan did not respond to TOI's attempts to contact him. Kinhalkar had approached the EC saying the former CM's expenditure account submitted to the returning officer did not provide details of the money spent on paid news. Providing the EC specific information on media reports, which he claimed was paid news, Kinhalkar urged it to disqualify Chavan on the grounds of providing wrong information. After hearing counsels for Chavan and Kinhalkar, the EC pronounced a comprehensive order, saying it was empowered to probe complaints of paid news. Subsequently, Chavan moved the high court and the Supreme Court. On May 5, the apex court held that it was well within the jurisdiction of the EC to probe into the election expenditure by a candidate. Further, a bench of the Supreme Court observed that the EC was authorized to disqualify a person for submitting false accounts of election expenditure. A senior Congress leader felt that Chavan was in fresh trouble after the SC dismissed his special leave petition. "The EC can seal his political fate by barring him from contesting elections to the state assembly or the Lok Sabha,'' he said.
http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/home/lok-sabha-elections-2014/news/Ex-CM-Ashok-Chavan-could-be-disqualified-for-paid-news/articleshow/35038986.cms

BJP may swap seats with Sena for Maharashtra Assembly polls: Devendra Fadnavis

Nagpur: Buoyed by the resounding victory of the saffron alliance in the Lok Sabha polls, BJP's state unit on Sunday said that it may swap some seats with the Shiv Sena in Maharashtra for the assembly polls due in October. "The 'mahayuti' (grand alliance) did extremely well in the just-concluded general elections and we did discuss the possibility of swapping some of the seats which are favourable to both the parties. Primary discussions have taken place and there is no dispute on the issue," BJP state unit president Devendra Fadnavis told reporters here today. Citing an example of Nagpur-East assembly constituency, Fadnavis said, "Earlier the seat was with Shiv Sena, but somehow victory had eluded it. When the BJP contested in the last state polls, the party nominee (Krishna Khopde) won by a margin of 34,000." Besides BJP and Sena, the 'mahayuti' comprises five opposition parties namely Raju Shetty's Swabhimani Shetkari Sanghatana, Mahadeo Jankar's Rashtriya Samaj Paksha and the Ramdas Athawale-led Republic Party of India (RPI). "As per the assembly constituency-wise statistics of the recent Lok Sabha polls results, BJP and Shiv Sena have taken huge leads and it clearly indicates the mood of the electorate in the forthcoming Assembly elections," the state BJP chief said. Riding a "Modi wave" and capitalising on anti-incumbency, the BJP-Shiv Sena led alliance dealt a severe blow to the ruling Congress-NCP combine in Maharashtra winning 42 of the 48 seats in the state. "The saffron alliance got 2.50 crore votes in Maharashtra, which was close of 52 per cent. Out of that BJP got 1.33 crore voters, which was 28 per cent and Sena received one crore votes (21 per cent)," he added. Amidst reports that the state BJP wants to tap 'master strategist' Amit Shah for assembly polls in the state after party's good performance in Uttar Pradesh, Fadnavis said Shah would be consulted and his help would be taken whenever required. He ruled out any tie up with the Maharashtra Navnirman Sena (MNS) for the assembly elections.
http://zeenews.india.com/news/general-elections-2014/bjp-may-swap-seats-with-sena-for-maharashtra-assembly-polls-devendra-fadnavis_933134.html

AAP sets eyes on Maharashtra and Haryana assembly polls

Aam Aadmi Party, which contested more seats across India than the Bharatiya Janata Party, is now set to test the political waters in upcoming assembly polls in states like Haryana and Maharashtra later this year. Party immediately, however, is waiting for the results of the 2014 Lok Sabha polls due on May 16, with a bated breath hoping to achieve its goal of becoming a national party. AAP is also dismissive of the exit polls by different news channels telecast on Monday after the end of ninth phase of polling as almost all of them showed them getting less than 10 seats across India. The maximum they were getting as per majority of polls were seven seats and the main two states where opinion polls are giving the new political outfit any seats are Delhi and Punjab with a couple of them giving a seat in Maharashtra. AAP leaders believe these surveys and opinion polls have underestimated them. One such leader is AAP’s political ideologue Yogendra Yadav, who himself was a psephologist, before turning a politician with AAP and fighting elections from Gurgaon Lok Sabha seat in Haryana. Having been in the business of predicting election results himself for long, Yadav cannot disregard the polls completely, but he stated that these exit polls may have underestimated their performance especially in Punjab. “Opinion polls may have underestimated us, especially in Punjab … We are a new force in Punjab and opinion polls, not just here world over, have a tendency to underestimate new and upcoming political parties,” Yogendra Yadav told dna. He stressed that exit polls may have underestimated AAP’s tally by a couple of seats in Delhi. In Delhi, majority of the exit polls have given AAP 0-2 seats out of the seven Lok Sabha seats. AAP, which is less than two years old, fought on 434 seats. When asked as to what is next for a party and whether it would fight assembly elections in other States, Yadav talked about AAP fighting in upcoming assembly polls scheduled in Haryana and Maharashtra later this year. “We are looking forward to (elections) in Maharashtra and Haryana (where assembly elections are due later this year),” Yadav said. AAP is also geared up to fight Delhi assembly elections again which is in suspended animation after Arvind Kejriwal-led government had resigned in February 2014. In December 2014, AAP had made a dream debut for a year old political party winning 28 out of 70 seats. Yadav, meanwhile, said they are keeping fingers crossed on achieving national party tag. “This (elections) is a very encouraging debut for us … Getting 3-4% vote share on national level (on debut). That is almost unprecedented for any political party. We are looking forward to 16 May (when Lok Sabha results are due),” Yadav said. To get recognised as a national party, a party needs to secure at least six percent (6%) of the valid votes polled in any four or more States and in addition win at least four seats from any state or States. AAP is expecting to get over 6 % votes in Delhi, Punjab and Haryana but to get a national party status it need 6% votes in a fourth State as well. Yadav said thus they would wait to see which could be the fourth State where they would get over six percent votes that enables them to get the national party tag.
http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-aap-sets-eyes-on-maharashtra-and-haryana-assembly-polls-1988078

I think they have one more.... who just crossed over the line. I think it was 1600 votes.
Just checked....yeah they have 2. Read this on twitter today: if u start walking from Nariman point, u will have to go all d way to Ludhiana to find a cong mp - nothing in between

and about AAP they should have concentrated on assembly to begin with. They can make inroads in mumbai and pune especially. But they are extremely short of funds. As mentioned before my cousin in mumbai does work for aap. He is a college student and has had to spend Rs10,000 from his pocket allowance. Not saying AAP candidates eat all the money but to organise rallies etc takes a lot of money and effort. I feel AAP need to forget about costly rallies and go, door to door.While they dont have the money, they do have a large army of volunteers. (my cousin was saying 6000 strong). Now even if we assume he has bloated it (cause i do tease him about aap) and its 3000. The population of greater mumbai area is about 21 million. The adult population is about 15 million. So they can reach each and every mumbaikar. Even i want AAP to do sufficiently well to keep all the parties on their toes. I predict AAP will finish with 10-15 seats in maharashtra. Making inroads into both alliances in mumbai and pune. In mumbai they should make inroads in ncp-congress. While in pune they will make inroads in sena-bjp

and about AAP they should have concentrated on assembly to begin with. They can make inroads in mumbai and pune especially. But they are extremely short of funds. As mentioned before my cousin in mumbai does work for aap. He is a college student and has had to spend Rs10,000 from his pocket allowance. Not saying AAP candidates eat all the money but to organise rallies etc takes a lot of money and effort. I feel AAP need to forget about costly rallies and go, door to door.While they dont have the money, they do have a large army of volunteers. (my cousin was saying 6000 strong). Now even if we assume he has bloated it (cause i do tease him about aap) and its 3000. The population of greater mumbai area is about 21 million. The adult population is about 15 million. So they can reach each and every mumbaikar. Even i want AAP to do sufficiently well to keep all the parties on their toes. I predict AAP will finish with 10-15 seats in maharashtra. Making inroads into both alliances in mumbai and pune. In mumbai they should make inroads in ncp-congress. While in pune they will make inroads in sena-bjp
Well ideally they should have started from the municipal elections. But this is a party in hurry, they believe in top to bottom model.

to be fair they were not a party when the municipal elections happened. cant blame them for that. But with the maha assembly i feel had they played their cards right they could have become the king makrers.