Wicket Keeper for Indian test team

Chandan

Ever since MSD has retired, the uncertaincy over this place has begun once again for the Indian. Who is a player, who is first a very good and then a very good batsman to nail his place vacated by Dhoni. If you ask, I can't any. But who are the options?

1. W. Saha: He is current keeper and was supposed to be the best keeper in the country but that proved to be myth when he fluffed a few important chances behind the wicket. In batting he is not fit to come even as a #9 batsman, hence far from an all rounder we are looking for. Still the first requirement is keeping.

2, D. Kartik: I hope I don't need to write much here. India has tried that route, tested it from every angle and then discarded it after proper trial.

3. P.Patel : Same story as Kartik and don't think India would ever repeat that mistake.

4. Sanju Samson : Is a young lad but has ke kept wickets in the longer formats? Iffy there. Even his IPL team is not having faith in his keeping ability. As a batsman too, isn't very reliable and to graduate to test cricket, needs time and exposure.

5. Naman Ojha: Is a 32 yrs old domestic veteran and played a test for India last year. Did reasonably well in batting but how was the keeping? I've forgotten. anyone remembers? Please enlighten. Did he drop any catch on soinners, miss any stumping??

6. K.L. Rahul: Is a very good batsman.  Has opened for India in 5 tests too. But he doesn't keep for even his Ranji team Karnataka. So he just can't be considered as a keeper. If he evolves in a good opener, that too will be boon for India, as its a rare breed.

So who will be the keeper for Indian test team??

Give you views fellows and start a discussion.

Edited by Chandan
2 hours ago, tweaker said:

Saha,Ojha,Karthik, Patel are above 30 .Samson, Rahul are not regular wicket keepers for their side.Pant,Kishan have just played u19 Wc.

Instead of choosing repeated failures, we should blood younger keepers.

Other who can be considered be Aditya Tare,Uday Kaul,Sheldon Jackson, S Bharat etc

Who is the one who can be chosen for India A team if they play for an unofficial test? Saha won't be be dropped IMO.

4 minutes ago, diehardpacer said:

KL Rahul should be asked to keep regularly.Having him at 6/7 will mean he gets to face 2nd new ball.He did really well as keeper in test vs SL for a day.Naman Ojha is better batsmen than Saha.

His own Ranji team too doesn't trust him with full time keeping. Means they want him to develop as a pure opener and Rahul has no problem there.

His own Ranji team too doesn't trust him with full time keeping. Means they want him to develop as a pure opener and Rahul has no problem there.

Karnataka Ranji team have Gautham as keeper who is very good with bats as well. Next there is Uthappa of required,so Rahul getting keeping job is out of the question.

37 minutes ago, Chandan said:

Talking about India here. 

Even to get in India team as keeper in tests  he need more practice in domestics whenever possible are different though as you can try a part time WK if he very good in batting.

Just an example , Jos Butler has to move from Somerset to Lancashire as Somerset preferred Kieswetter as first choice keeper. [it turned out a loss for Somerset as Kiesweeter has to prematurely retire due to a eye issue]

29 minutes ago, bulbul said:

Even to get in India team as keeper in tests  he need more practice in domestics whenever possible are different though as you can try a part time WK if he very good in batting.

Just an example , Jos Butler has to move from Somerset to Lancashire as Somerset preferred Kieswetter as first choice keeper. [it turned out a loss for Somerset as Kiesweeter has to prematurely retire due to a eye issue]

I hope you read the opening post that I wrote. After that, what are your views? Continue with Saha? Try someone else? Who? Why? 

21 minutes ago, Chandan said:

I hope you read the opening post that I wrote. After that, what are your views? Continue with Saha? Try someone else? Who? Why? 

I am not suggesting any names...just replied to post of Rahul as wicket keeper...

We are not going to get a similer WK/Batsman as Dhoni for some time so have to go to best domestic Batsman/WK or WK/Batsam depending on team composition...

3 hours ago, Chandan said:

Who is the one who can be chosen for India A team if they play for an unofficial test? Saha won't be be dropped IMO.

In. Irani trophy these year Sheldon Jackson ,S Bharat,Naman Ojha were selected by selectors.So I think selectors have now started looking beyond Saha.Ojha& Saha can a short term options until the younger lot gains some experience by playing in Ranji & A tours

So we have to keep an eye on the next India A tour or Duleep trophy matches. Hope we get a good keeper. Also hope selectors first look for the good keeping abilities and then his batting pedigree. MSD has been the best keeper in the Indian test history and was the best batsmen of lot too, if you look at the stats.

Wonder when will a player like him appear again!!

23 minutes ago, Chandan said:

So we have to keep an eye on the next India A tour or Duleep trophy matches. Hope we get a good keeper. Also hope selectors first look for the good keeping abilities and then his batting pedigree. MSD has been the best keeper in the Indian test history and was the best batsmen of lot too, if you look at the stats.

Wonder when will a player like him appear again!!

But this will depend on we go with 4 good bowlers and a decent all-rounder , if not Batsman/Keeper will be more useful....

Also Gilchrist changed entire concept of Wicket keeper now no going back.....

4 hours ago, Chandan said:

Srikar Bharat it should be.

9 hours ago, Chandan said:

What happened?

No one wants a discussion on this topic? Everyone is satisfied with Saha?

Saha has done okay in tough situations 

13 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Srikar Bharat it should be.

Saha has done okay in tough situations 

Srikar Bharat? Plays for Andhra, doesn't he. Has superb keeping stats but I have not seen him keeping. Have you? If yes, how is he? Especially against spinners? And then his batting? He opened for RoI, but didn't keep.

14 hours ago, bulbul said:

But this will depend on we go with 4 good bowlers and a decent all-rounder , if not Batsman/Keeper will be more useful....

Also Gilchrist changed entire concept of Wicket keeper now no going back.....

Sorry to say, but we can't even think of getting like the all conquoring Aussies, They had a terrific attack where they could take a fluffed chance here or there in the beginning. India has a pop gun attack where opportunities to get a batsman out are created with too much of hard work. Can't fluff it because of a poor keeper. And no one is as good as Gilly the bat too. Can't take that chance, 

Kohli wants to play with 5 bowlers.  This means that the keeper will have to bat at no. 6 until and unless we find a good batting all-rounder in test matches.

A no.6 batsman in tests must be a proper test batter who can score fast when needed and bat with the tail.

While keeping he must also be dependable against both pace and spin.

Keeping these points in mind...what are the realistic options  ?

Edited by express bowling