Top 5 Hitchcock

zen

I am planning to rewatch some of the Hitchcock films. And therefore, it is a good time to discuss some of his top films. The films that I usually tend to like are -> Vertigo, To Catch a Thief, North by Northwest, The Lady Vanishes, North by Northwest, Strangers on a Train, Notorious, 39 Steps, Rebecca, Suspicion, etc. .... Films such as Torn Curtain, I confess, are a good watch too 

What are your top 5?

Among non-Hitchcock films in the romantic/comedy/mystery, along with Film Noir, genre:

• The Third Man
  • Night Train to Munich
  • Charade 
  • The Counterfeit Traitor 
  • The Stranger 

Others:

• Chinatown
  • Basic Instinct 
  • Jewel Thief (Dev Anand's) 
  • Frantic
  • The Manchurian Candidate
  • Tell No One (French)
  • Get Out
  • From Russia w/ Love (If Hitchcock had directed a Bond Movie) 
  • The Fugitive 
Edited by zen

12 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

My top 5

I love The Third Man btw. Would probably take it over every Hitchcock film I've seen.

Third Man is brilliant and is an example of a film that I can watch anytime!

Yesterday, I checked out "To catch a thief" was was impressed by it. Highlights:

• The interaction b/w Grant and Kelly 
  • Picturesque French Riviera
  • This is a 1950s film. Some of the senses were recreated in Bond films like when Kelly is driving the car fast and Grant is nervous (In Thunderball where Fiona gives Bond the lift), Grant and Kelly park for lunch to give the panoramic view of Monaco (In Goldeneye where Brosnan and the evaluator stop the Aston Martin after the race with the Ferrari, and we seen the views of Monaco)     

3 minutes ago, zen said:

Third Man is brilliant and is an example of a film that I can watch anytime!

Yesterday, I checked out "To catch a thief" was was impressed by it. Highlights:

• The interaction b/w Grant and Kelly 
  • Picturesque French Riviera
  • This is a 1950s film. Some of the senses were recreated in Bond films like when Kelly is driving the car fast and Grant is nervous (In Thunderball where Fiona gives Bond the lift), Grant and Kelly park for lunch to give the panoramic view of Monaco (In Goldeneye where Brosnan and the evaluator stop the Aston Martin after the race with the Ferrari, and we seen the views of Monaco)     

I need to see more of Hitchcock's work in the late 40s-mid 50s. Have only seen Strangers on a Train, Dial M for Murder, 39 Steps apart from the films I mentioned in my top 5. To Catch A Thief sounds interesting :nice:.

1 hour ago, zen said:

I also like films that take place on a train -> Source Code, Murder on Orient Express, Commuter, From Russia w/ Love (a part of the film was on train), etc. .... below is Hitchcock's the Lady Vanishes:

You seen Snowpiercer? Not exactly a masterpiece or anything but it's rare to see a dystopian sci-fi thriller set on a train.

5 minutes ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

You seen Snowpiercer? Not exactly a masterpiece or anything but it's rare to see a dystopian sci-fi thriller set on a train.

Saw Snowpiercer. It was timepass but does not have repeat value 

PS there is Transsiberian as well which is a good timepass (may not be high on repeat value though :lol: )

Edited by zen

Looking at the sharp latest trailers of restored Vertigo and North by Northwest, I was checking amazon to see if the new 4k restored Blue Ray (or even better the 4K UHD HDR Disc :woot:) is available for some of these classics. Unfortunately, they have old ones from 2014 

From those listed above, I would have the latest Blue Ray of From Russia w/ Love (all Bond films). Among others - I may have (I hope Blue Rays not DVDs) of Charade, Odessa File, The Stranger, Strangers on a Train, Jewel Thief, etc, laying around. Have to check old boxes :lol: