India A team's tour of South Africa

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

No. only 2 pacers Rajpoot and Saini are playing. Two spinners Gowtham and Nadeem.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/series/11130/scorecard/1099006/South-Africa-A-vs-India-A-2nd-unofficial-Test-ind-a-in-sa-2017

Espncricinfo was initially showing the team I stated.

They have changed it now.

Should have played Siraj too after last match performance.

Ok...I do agree with the first comment of this string regarding the pitch quality. International pitches are way different than these, we have seen a battling line up of the likes of Sachin, Azhar, Sourav, Rahul folding like a pack of cards....we were bundled for 100 and 67 in the Durban Test back in the 90s..SA met the same fate in 2007 when Zak & Sreesanth bowled those probing lengths...yet A teams have been able to do exceptionally well in the tri series....but in the recently concluded unofficial test...we could not withstand the pace/swing....

35 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Navdeeep Saini should be on board for SA test series. He can be our own Philander, Hazelwood type of bowler. Quicker than Philander.

Bumrah is more accurate and quicker than Saini and showed that he has the stamina for 5-day matches by performing really well and bowling lots of overs in the last Ranji season.

38 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Bumrah is more accurate and quicker than Saini and showed that he has the stamina for 5-day matches by performing really well and bowling lots of overs in the last Ranji season.

Test bowling is completely different. Bumrah doesn't have that kind of control needed in test cricket and lacks discipline. You need to look at what type of bowlers really succeed in test cricket. The bowlers who get the edges and are able to get LBWs. Bumrah with his bowling action and wide of the crease approach, with mainly inswing isnt going to do that. He wont get many bowleds in tests. LBW wont be easy for him because of the angle. You need bowlers who can hit that corridor of uncertainty and get the edges.

Edited by rkt.india
31 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Test bowling is completely different. Bumrah doesn't have that kind of control needed in test cricket and lacks discipline. You need to look at what type of bowlers really succeed in test cricket. The bowlers who get the edges and are able to get LBWs. Bumrah with his bowling action and wide of the crease approach, with mainly inswing isnt going to do that. He wont get many bowleds in tests. LBW wont be easy for him because of the angle. You need bowlers who can hit that corridor of uncertainty and get the edges.

Bumrah's  bowling style is very different in 4-day games compared to one-day games.

I don't agree at all that he lacks discipline.... quite the other way around.  I have seen him bowl channel deliveries 6 balls out of 6 in 4-day matches.

Most wickets in test cricket are caught-behinds .... Bumrah has the ideal line, length, bounce and seam movement for that.

As far as I remember, he has got quite a few bowled and LBWs too in 4-day matches.

He has the mind-set to bowl all 6 balls in the same area .... which most Indian seamers don't.

Edited by express bowling
20 minutes ago, express bowling said:

Bumrah's  bowling style is very different in 4-day games compared to one-day games.

I don't agree at all that he lacks discipline.... quite the other way around.  I have seen him bowl channel deliveries 6 balls out of 6 in 4-day matches.

Most wickets in test cricket are caught-behinds .... Bumrah has the ideal line, length, bounce and seam movement for that.

As far as I remember, he has got quite a few bowled and LBWs too in 4-day matches.

He has the mind-set to bowl all 6 balls in the same area .... which most Indian seamers don't.

i dont see him getting those edges with his action. His test cricket chart will be like Ishant.  

12 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

i dont see him getting those edges with his action. His test cricket chart will be like Ishant.  

We won't know for sure  till we play him.

Ishant has played 70+ tests and still getting chances while averaging 36 ,  why can't Bumrah get 5 or 6  tests ?

Umesh lacks accuracy, Bhuvi lacks sufficient pace, Ishant lacks wicket-taking ability ..... why can't we try out new test pacers when 2 of our test pacers are averaging 35+  ?

Why does Ishant and Umesh deserve automatic test spots while Bumrah is written off theoretically  ?

7 minutes ago, express bowling said:

We won't know for sure  till we play him.

Ishant has played 70+ tests and still getting chances,  why can't Bumrah get 5 or 6  ?

Umesh lacks accuracy, Bhuvi lacks sufficient pace, Ishant lacks wicket-taking ability ..... why can't we try out new test pacers when 2 of our test pacers are averaging 35+  ?

Why does Ishant and Umesh deserve automatic test spots while Bumrah is written off theoretically  ?

we need to look at bowling styles of the bowlers. Umesh and Shami's bowling styles are ideal for test cricket. Whether they succeed or not is a different thing. Bumrah's style suits more to LOIs. Yes, we can try him in tests but for me likes of Saini and Ankit Rajpoot are more suited to test bowling overseas. You need high class consistency as you barely get reverse swing in those places. They are not much slower than Bumrah.  Look at Rajpoot 24 overs 47 runs 1 wickets in the ongoing A game. You need figures like these even if you are not taking wickets. This is straight of McGrath book of fast bowling. We never had such type of bowlers who could offer such control. Even our best bowler recently Zak was as high inconsistent and would concede boundaries every over to every second over. 

25 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

we need to look at bowling styles of the bowlers. Umesh and Shami's bowling styles are ideal for test cricket. Whether they succeed or not is a different thing.

We are not discussing Shami here as he is growing day by day as a test bowler and now averaging 30 with a SR of 51.

Umesh's style suits only test matches in Asia, where there is reverse swing .....and his pace is needed on the slow tracks.  His style of inaccurate bowling without using much brains, and lack of natural bounce,  is not suited for outside-Asia tests.  

I was talking about Ishant and Umesh .... and NOT about Shami.

What has Ishant done to deserve 77 tests while we write off other pacers based on theory  ?

Bumrah's style suits more to LOIs. Yes, we can try him in tests but for me likes of Saini and Ankit Rajpoot are more suited to test bowling overseas. You need high class consistency as you barely get reverse swing in those places. They are not much slower than Bumrah.  Look at Rajpoot 24 overs 47 runs 1 wickets in the ongoing A game. You need figures like these even if you are not taking wickets. This is straight of McGrath book of fast bowling. We never had such type of bowlers who could offer such control. Even our best bowler recently Zak was as high inconsistent and would concede boundaries every over to every second over. 

I think Bumrah would provide that control too.  

Hit-the-deck seam bowlers who try to bowl at one spot ball after ball, get some seam movement and bounce ... like Bumrah does .... usually do well in test matches.  The only issue which I want to see is whether Bumrah has the stamina to bowl 20 overs a day. This is a grey area.

I like both Saini and Rajpoot, but want to see how they do match after match.   Not too long ago, Rajpoot was running out of steam after bowling 10 or 12 overs a day.... I don't know whether that issue is solved.  Most of our A-team bowlers have or had  this issue,  including Siraj and Aniket C.

Navdeep Saini picks 3 wickets again after getting 3 in the 2nd innings last match.

He is the only pacer getting to play both the 4-day games and it is possible that Dravid likes him most among this lot.

Siraj playing the 50-over games may have also influenced his exclusion.

46 minutes ago, express bowling said:

We are not discussing Shami here as he is growing day by day as a test bowler and now averaging 30 with a SR of 51.

Umesh's style suits only test matches in Asia, where there is reverse swing .....and his pace is needed on the slow tracks.  His style of inaccurate bowling without using much brains, and lack of natural bounce,  is not suited for outside-Asia tests.  

I was talking about Ishant and Umesh .... and NOT about Shami.

What has Ishant done to deserve 77 tests while we write off other pacers based on theory  ?

I have no problem if Ishant is dropped. Regarding Umesh, he is yet to play a single test in SA, NZ, England. We will know once he does. He for sure is a starter if fit along with Shami and BK this time.

I think Bumrah would provide that control too.  

Hit-the-deck seam bowlers who try to bowl at one spot ball after ball, get some seam movement and bounce ... like Bumrah does .... usually do well in test matches.  The only issue which I want to see is whether Bumrah has the stamina to bowl 20 overs a day. This is a grey area.

I like both Saini and Rajpoot, but want to see how they do match after match.   Not too long ago, Rajpoot was running out of steam after bowling 10 or 12 overs a day.... I don't know whether that issue is solved.  Most of our A-team bowlers have or had  this issue,  including Siraj and Aniket C.

I have issues with Bumrah's predominant wide of the crease approach and inswing action. In that regard, he is very much like early days Ishant. I have not seen successful test bowlers bowling this way in test cricket in recent times. Ntini was but he bowled a lot in helpful pitches of SA and was helped by two of the best SA bowlers in Donald and Pollock.

2 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

I have no problem if Ishant is dropped. Regarding Umesh, he is yet to play a single test in SA, NZ, England. We will know once he does. He for sure is a starter if fit along with Shami and BK this time.

He will have to be more accurate.  Margin for error will be much less in SA, Eng etc.  as 1 or 2 bad sessions may lead to a loss in such test matches.

I have been a big supporter of Umesh over the years .... everyone knows it .... but, when a bowler is at his peak and passed the development phase.... like Umesh is now .... then he cannot afford to bowl so may loose balls and indisciplined spells.

I was really pleased to see him bowl really well from the 5th test against England to the 4th test against Australia, 6 tests in all.  But, he again lost intensity, accuracy and bounce in the 3 tests in SL.  This frequent troughs, even at his peak, has really disappointed me.

2 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

I have issues with Bumrah's predominant wide of the crease approach and inswing action. In that regard, he is very much like early days Ishant. I have not seen successful test bowlers bowling this way in test cricket in recent times. Ntini was but he bowled a lot in helpful pitches of SA and was helped by two of the best SA bowlers in Donald and Pollock.

He bowls closer to the stumps often enough in 5-day matches.