The importance of a fit Md. Shami when we tour SA, Eng, Aus, NZ

4 minutes ago, Tibarn said:

That may be true, and hopefully he does well, but I'm still not sure how much one can read into recent performances.

This thread is not about his recent performances but about the fact that he has been able to bowl in good areas over after over while hitting the deck hard. That he has been able to set up batsmen and use the surprise bouncer optimally, not too little and not too much.

This is classic test match bowling and, dare I say, very rarely have Indian seamers done this.

This thread is about an Indian pacer doing all the right things, which we rarely see happening..... and so we need him fit.

Viv Richards was praising this aspect of Shami's bowling continuously.

There is also the question of different lengths in different countries/conditions. There hasn't been any evidence thus far that Shami can bowl a different length, one more suitable for NZ/Eng/SA/AUS. Some bowlers are never able to bowl a proper length in foreign conditions. Theoretically we could just be seeing Shami bowling his natural length and excelling.     

Shami bowled very good lengths in Kolkata '16 and Antigua '16, two pitches which were very similar to many NZ and English tracks with seam movement and some bounce.  Picked up 6 and 4 wickets respectively.

However, I'm also not the kind to give praise to a player until after they prove it: that goes for batsmen(Pujara) or bowlers(Shami). After they do it, then I will praise them.  

This thread is not about praising players but the importance of keeping Shami fit,  as he is injury prone,  as he has more probability of succeeding compared to our other pacers.

I disagree here: even though bowlers are initiators, there is a big difference in bowling against someone like Warner, Smith, Amla, Cook, especially in conditions they are used to, than bowling against inferior batsmen vs pace in conditions familiar to the bowler.  

Quality batsmen from countries like Aus, SA, etc are taught to not let bowlers bowl wherever they want. They also have a superior range of shots to handle pace bowling in comparison to weaker sides like Lanka and Windies. They are capable of making bowlers change their lengths. This is similar to how Indian batsmen historically are able to disrupt spinners by using our superior footwork against them. The bowlers may initiate, but quality batsmen are perfectly capable of imposing their will on bowlers. 

Shami has bowled to NZ and English batsmen on very flat tracks in recent times and done very well.

Yes, but I don't agree that one can use a players performance in completely different conditions, where they have to bowl different lengths to those in the countries in question, and bowling against generally inferior batsmen to project performances in different conditions, where different lengths are required, and where bowling will take place versus superior batsmen in conditions where those said batsmen are more comfortable, especially in taking on the bowlers/making them change where they bowl. 

Lengths are not exactly the same even in India on different types of pitches.  The rule is to target the top of off stump whatever the pitch.  That way, the length adjusts automatically.

M Shami if he stays fit, looks like will be the best ever bowler to come out of India, he truly has the potential to bowl like Steyn, he has pace that comes naturally, good bouncer, can seam, swing, has control n has a big heart n is aggressive bowler n looks for wkts, I see him being talked as among the best in the world soon, next two years he should be there, also his excellent speed of growth, adjustments, using the crease, bowling around the wkt, he knows what he is doing, n rattles the batsmen on flat decks which shows his class, can get batter out all modes, caught behind, lbw, bowled, n bowls different lengths as well per needs, India need to look for similar bowlers who have the pace n potential n include them in the squad, ANIKET, Ankit, Sangwan n let go trundle love, there were some jokers here who were questioning Indias premier bolwers place in the side.

Confident of doing well in South Africa: Shami

- We should all remain supremely fit, says pacer

"In terms of confidence too, it really was a good series for me. You call it a comeback, but for me, I take the ground only when I'm 100 per cent sure.

"In any case, my confidence is always on the higher side. So, not much of a difference here... I just try to work and focus on my strengths, that's it," he said.

"And when you contribute to the team's cause and carry out your responsibilities, you win the confidence of both captain and coach. For the players, it always sounds good when your captain praises you. It certainly boosts your performance," Shami added.

https://www.telegraphindia.com/1170817/jsp/sports/story_167638.jsp

Edited by express bowling

This i reckon will be his real test . He is good in asian conditions but somehow he hasn't been as effective abroad . 

If he does well than india can win in southafrica for the first time because this is possibly Southafrica's weakest side everand india has a strong batting lineup.

Personally looking forward to seeing Amir ( who has hit top form in county ) and Hasan ali next year in southafrica too.

Edited by the don
4 hours ago, the don said:

This i reckon will be his real test . He is good in asian conditions but somehow he hasn't been as effective abroad . 

If he does well than india can win in southafrica for the first time because this is possibly Southafrica's weakest side everand india has a strong batting lineup.

Personally looking forward to seeing Amir ( who has hit top form in county ) and Hasan ali next year in southafrica too.

Are you aware if Amir has connects with bookies in South Africa? Just curious!