Travelling in the US

MechEng

2 hours ago, zen said:

Not accurate if it includes "driving properly". First folks would be driving on the different side of the road. Second, one needs to actually obey the traffic laws (which can be a challenge for many). Third, Indian driving can be about creating convenience of your own self, in many of the other places, one needs to think about convenience of others as well including leaving some distance when following a vehicle, parking, etc. Lastly, driving in many of the western countries, one needs to look far ahead. While in Ind, people are more accustomed to looking at the car in fronts and pot holes on the roads

2 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Time to repeat the famous adage, If you have driven in Indian cities, you can  drive anywhere 

On 9/8/2017 at 7:22 AM, The Outsider said:

Get a license. You can drive with Indian license for six months - use it to rent a car in the meanwhile. In all aspects - variety of places you can go to, cost, and time - driving is the best option in the US. Till you do that you can visit cities like San Francisco, New York, Boston, DC where you can do a lot of sightseeing without driving. But for even sort trips outside of urban centers, driving is the best option. Public transport in the US is pathetic in general.  

I agree with all three of you, driving in India and US have their separate challenges.

In India one has to be street smart while driving, you don't have to obey rules to the point but this applies to others as well, so while driving you have to be mindful of your car not getting damaged.

The challenge is US is a very different one. You have to follow the rules to the point, no compromises or 'chalta hain' attitude is tolerated, American cops are very strict. For example it happened with me on my first day arrival to US, my  senior came to pick me up from Dallas airport and we were driving at 53 mph on a road with speed limit till 50 mph only. The cops followed us and made us stop the car, my senior apologized repeatedly and we were let off without a fine but with a warning. Probably because Indian students have a relatively good reputation in US, we were forgiven first.

^ Cops dont usually give you a ticket if you go over limit by 3m. Such citation stand no chance in the court. Judge will throw it away and absolve you of any fine. Typically cops are not going to stop you unless you at least 5 miles above limits except in the school zone where it has to be strictly followed. Also there are bunch of camera's installed in Dallas now. So all these spots you cannot jump the red light. You get citation that cannot be challenged at all.

As I said stay focused behind wheel. But it is all easy if you have driven in India.

16 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Time to repeat the famous adage, If you have driven in Indian cities, you can  drive anywhere 

It was opposite for me when I moved to US...I was so used to violating the law in India and not caring for any signal,traffic rules etc it became very difficult for me to keep a track of all the rules...even a STOP sign which I now follow religiously felt ridiculous initially and have even trained a couple of newbies not driving  a colleague and a cousin in how to follow rules here lol

I mean pulled over by a cop in US is like I am fked where as in India it is like Fk him

Edited by maniac

In Ind, I started driving illegally at age 14. In 10th grade, I took the car to school and it was confiscated by the school. I got all my licences without even giving exams. In my car, I used to do all those stunts using "hand brake" as well. I even had fast driving record where I did a 60 Kms road which had a lots of bumps and passed through small towns and villages in around 30 mins where normally it took 60 minutes or more 

All that helped me to handle the car well (which is what many in Ind think driving to be) but driving has a lot more to it when factors such as laws, creating convenience for others, and various road conditions (snow, black ice, etc.) are considered. Some cities and provinces have their own laws like in Montreal you "cannot make a right on the red"

When anyone is planning to drive outside Ind for the first time, he/she should keep a student mentality. If one is planning to stay in NA for a long period, taking driving lessions helps too. If renting a car, ensure you have (or take) adequate insurance coverage

Edited by zen