Preview of the Adelaide test

fineleg

Guest HariSampath

Burdett says Pitch will turn Les Burdett the Adelaide groundsman of 30 years has said the wicket will certainly turn and also bounce.

Burdett thinks India should contemplate playing two spinners on this track, only because the track offers spin and bounce. "The pitch will take turn. The important thing is there will be bounce and carry. Tim May played for South Australia and he always spoke about better angles he got here compared to Sydney, where it turns slow. Anil Kumble is a class player and will do well. He bowled beautifully in Perth on a pitch not supposed to turn."
http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/ausvind/content/current/story/332736.html This is what Anil was saying a few days back, and I am pretty sure that we will go in with 2 spinners and 5 bowlers.

I cant imagine how we could play 2 spinners for Melbourne and Sydney and not play 2 spinners for Adelaide. But of course, that would mean playing only 2 pacers or playing one batsman short. Even though there is a huge temptation to just drop Jaffer and include Bhajji, I think we would do well if play Bhajji for one of the seamers.

which seamer would u drop' date=' mm?[/quote'] Ishant will be the one to miss out, me thinks. We will definitely play the 6 batsman + keeper + 2 pacers + 2 spinners combo. 3 Pacers on a flat Adelaide wicket that will turn will be a monumental waste, IMO. Jaffer is likely to miss out in all probability and he will be replaced by Karthik.
I'm not a big fan of 5 bowlers theory' date=' but in this one I'd go with Bhajji instead of Jaffer. It's a must win match and Jaffer will give the slip fielders more practices. Irfan and Bhajji will score more than Jaffer anyways.[/quote'] If Jaffer was a 4-down player this would have been a no-brainer. But discarding an opening batsman has its own risks. If the pitch has grass in it and/or the weather will assist swing then we will need Jaffer I think.
If Jaffer was a 4-down player this would have been a no-brainer. But discarding an opening batsman has its own risks. If the pitch has grass in it and/or the weather will assist swing then we will need Jaffer I think.
If the pitch has grass on it, WWJD (what would jaffer do?)

There is no way we should play 5 bowlers on a flat track. This match will be decided on which team out-scores the other in the first innings, and not whose' bowlers take more wickets. Aus is almost certain to make a huge first innings score, irrespective of how many bowlers we play. Our focus should be on matching them in the batting department. Jaffer looks totally deflated and out of form, so playing Karthik in his place wouldnt be a bad thing to do. Or the other option would be to ask Dravid to open, replace Jaffer with Yuvraj and Ishant with Bhajji. I am still hoping for a miracle in the form of one good innings from Yuvraj.