Indian Street Food Tour of Amritsar, Punjab by Food Ranger

PBN

On 15/01/2018 at 6:08 AM, Alam_dar said:

There are different kinds of Kebabs mostly, and then Meat Balls and then Mutton Dum Pukht etc. (mainly they eat mutton, and Beef is secondary) 

Afghani Kebabs have a lot of fats in them (40% fat). But even this is not enough, while these Kebabs are not served directly, but they are put in extra Karahi first.

A lot of tallow is taken in the Karahi, then onions are fried in it, then come Tomatoes, spices, yoghurt, green chilli, then come Kebabs (which are separately finished on coals). So, this dish is actually "Kebab Karahi". 

How much meat can Pashtoons eat? .... A lot.

In Punjab, we order like 2 Kebabs or 3 Kebabs etc. But in Pashtoon driver hotels, we have to order 1/2 kg Kebabs or 1 kg Kababs (i.e. not by numbers, but by weight of meat and 1/2 kg of meat was minimum amount to be ordered). 

In the beginning, we Pubjabi friends never thought we could finish a Karahi which has 1/2 kg of meat in it, but "WATER" in the mountain areas is so healthy that eating so much was absolutely not a problem for us too. We were able to digest all easily (which is not possible while living in the big cities of Punjab). 

Some people say it is due to walking in the mountains which keeps you fit ever after eating so much, but I am sure biggest part is being played by the healthy mountain waters, which walking on the mountains play the secondary role. 

it has to be the physical activity that keeps them to eat more and stay healthy..

my grandma is 75+ and she still take more food than my father and my mother .. and my grandpa ( did agriculture till his 50s ) use to take twice the amount of food as my father ..

i am a counch potatao and i take half the quanity as my father 

On 10/01/2018 at 7:49 PM, cowboysfan said:

I cant even eat punjabi food anymore,they put butter and Ghee in everything and without lactose tablets i feel like somebody is stabbing me in the stomach continuously. .

It’s best to eat home cooked Punjabi food, that way you can control the amount of oil and butter that is put in.

21 hours ago, MechEng said:

I've heard that Afghans eat very bland food like western foods. Their food is mostly greasy fats and salt.

Afghans (at least now-a-days) do use common spices like Haldi, Cumin, Coriander, ginger/garlic paste 

Main difference is this that they are not using sharp Red Chilli powder. 

In my opinion, Afghan cuisines lie somewhere between Indian and European cuisine when it comes to the usage of spices. 

And may be in the past Afghans were not using so much spices, but for sure today they have been inspired by the spices of India.

India has special spices as fenugreek, ajwain, nutmeg, jawitri, amchur, tamarind, black Cardamom, Curry leaves .... I am no expert on Afghan cuisines, but I don't think they use these special spices too much. 

Edited by Alam_dar

14 hours ago, velu said:

it has to be the physical activity that keeps them to eat more and stay healthy..

my grandma is 75+ and she still take more food than my father and my mother .. and my grandpa ( did agriculture till his 50s ) use to take twice the amount of food as my father ..

A typical Pashtun driver Hotel looks like this one in the mountains. 

You eat while sitting on "charpai/bed", and there are only "glasses" there, but no "jugs" of water. You have to collect the water from the water streams under your charpai. 

image8.png

15 hours ago, velu said:

I guess stress also plays a big role in metabolism. When I have no stress, my food intake is pretty good, or else there have been days when I lived on 1 meal a day literally, because of stress.

Edited by MechEng

47 minutes ago, Alam_dar said:

A typical Pashtun driver Hotel looks like this one in the mountains. 

You eat while sitting on "charpai/bed", and there are only "glasses" there, but no "jugs" of water. You have to collect the water from the water streams under your charpai. 

image8.png

WOW! What an experience it must be eating there! It's a paradise! :ohmy: