When should India declare ?

Cricketics

i would prefer us to go for the jugular and try and win the match. isnt that the reason why you play sport?????? TO WIN???! you dont play to not lose. 90 overs left, get as much as we can in 45 and give the aussies 45 to chase it down. it doesnt really make a difference if we lose 2-1 or 3-1, at least playing this way gives us a chance of making it 2-2

India is in a tricky situation. If they plan to bat the whole day, they will play defensive and lose wickets. If they play defensive, would not have runs on the board. We dont know how the pitch is today. We need to play as if we are chasing a target of 300 runs. We would do well. In the pursuit if we lose wickets, it is still good because we have already put some runs onboard. This will setup an interesting match. At present, it looks like there are only 2 results possible. Draw or a chance for Australia to come back. We need to reverse the result possibility.

LOL at the RPO scenario. You think it's easy to score 4' date='6, and 8 RPO on a last day track where the average has been around 3 RPO during the match? Just play out normal cricket and get away with a draw. How can you expect to bowl out Australia in 45 overs with 3 bowlers in Ishant, Harbhajan, and Pathan?[/quote'] of course it's not easy Shwetabh. But there's no difference losing 2-1 and 3-1. We gotta go all out to square this series. The Tendulkar fan in me wants him to bat all day and make another 100. But I hope we push for the win and go all gunz blazing. As goose said, it'll be hard to execute, but we have to try. Nothing is impossible and if Bhajji and Kumble start picking up some wickets we're in business. Blue Brigade, that total was chased down by a red hot ponting and Hayden. Ponting isn't in great touch despite his hard working 140, and only Hayden is in good form. If we attack them we could force them into a corner.

I would love to see India set Aussies a target of say 200 in 40 overs. I'd back our bowlers to give Australia a scare if not win it on the last day with that kinda score and Australians trying to chase it down. However, Kumble wouldn't dare do that I think. The only scenario in which I see us making a match of this is if we get bowled out, and if the slowpokes get out real quick while Sehwag/Tendu/VVS along with the tail score quick runs. Would definitely make the day more exciting if Gilly comes onto bat in his last test match with the Aussies needing say 90 to win in 15 overs, and India needing 4 wickets :D Oh well, time to stop dreaming. It's going to be a tame boring draw.

Of course a draw is likely but I want to see India show some intent on the final day. The difference between today and Sydney is that every run India score needs to be chased by the Aussies. India have nothing to fear. Bat sensibly for one hour then go beserk before declaring. Let it be known clearly twas India that came to win and the Aussies were happy with the draw !

Of course a draw is likely but I want to see India show some intent on the final day. The difference between today and Sydney is that every run India score needs to be chased by the Aussies. India have nothing to fear. Bat sensibly for one hour then go beserk before declaring. Let it be known clearly twas India that came to win and the Aussies were happy with the draw !
That's a good way to look at it, but knowing the Aussies they would probably spin it to say that India were very negative in declaring late, they weren't playing to win, yada yada
Would definitely make the day more exciting if Gilly comes onto bat in his last test match with the Aussies needing say 90 to win in 15 overs' date=' and India needing 4 wickets :D[/quote'] If Gilchrist came out to bat, wouldn't India be needing 5 wickets to win as he's usually a number 7 bat? :P
of course it's not easy Shwetabh. But there's no difference losing 2-1 and 3-1. We gotta go all out to square this series. The Tendulkar fan in me wants him to bat all day and make another 100. But I hope we push for the win and go all gunz blazing. As goose said, it'll be hard to execute, but we have to try. Nothing is impossible and if Bhajji and Kumble start picking up some wickets we're in business. Blue Brigade, that total was chased down by a red hot ponting and Hayden. Ponting isn't in great touch despite his hard working 140, and only Hayden is in good form. If we attack them we could force them into a corner.
I think there is a difference between 1-2 and 1-3. For one, the points on the ICC table and secondly the circumstances surrounding Sydney, where the game's governing body has admitted to a goof up by getting rid of Bucknor. Harbhajan in his present form doesn't even come close to taking wickets and Kumble is injured.