When should India declare ?

Cricketics

Guest HariSampath

bcos teacher ji....we can ONLY do so IF the Aussie bowling allows it...or if the Aussies get -3 or 4 wkts, we cant be sure if we can save the test match

If we set Aus a target of 250 overs and give them around 40 overs. Don't be surprised if Aussie's chase it down. There is absolutely no need of declaration. I rather take series loss as 2-1 than 3-1.

I think it is better to lose the series 3-1 trying to win the test and draw the series. The team, selectors, and fans will undersrtand that. A tame draw says that India don't have the confidence to back themselves - and that lack of confidence will flow into the one day series. I say bat 40 overs for a lead of 160 - 180 and try to bowl Australia out in 50 overs. Australia will chase and chase hard.

I think it is better to lose the series 3-1 trying to win the test and draw the series. The team' date= selectors, and fans will undersrtand that. A tame draw says that India don't have the confidence to back themselves - and that lack of confidence will flow into the one day series. I say bat 40 overs for a lead of 160 - 180 and try to bowl Australia out in 50 overs. Australia will chase and chase hard.
no they won't. At least. I won't understand the reason of losing test series 3-1. This pitch is hardly assisting bowlers. According to you, we should set a target of 250 in (~50) overs ? RSA have done the mistake in the past and we ought to learn from their mistake. We are one bowler short + pitch is more batsmen friendly. Odds are against us mate

You guys dont understand how a 2-1 series loss will be perceived by the media. 2-1 is technically an Aussie win. But the victory will always be marked with an asterix, with the mention of Sydney right next to it. The world will remember this series, as a tough, hard fought one, with the Aussies luckily getting away with a win at Sydney. Kumble & co will be happily settle for that, as its way beyond what was expected prior to the series.

You guys dont understand how a 2-1 series loss will be perceived by the media. 2-1 is technically an Aussie win. But the victory will always be marked with an asterix, with the mention of Sydney right next to it. The world will remember this series, as a tough, hard fought one, with the Aussies luckily getting away with a win at Sydney. Kumble & co will be happily settle for that, as its way beyond what was expected prior to the series.
it's not about what we think or what they think. The official series scoreline is 2-1. We need to rectify that by all means possible. Bat out the first 10 overs at 4 RPO -> 48 runs lead Bat out another 20 overs at 6 RPO -> 168 runs lead -------------------------------------------------------------- 60 overs left in the day Bat out another 10 overs at 8+ RPO -> 250 runs lead -> declare leave the aussies 250 to win in 50 overs and see how they do. Everything of course changes in terms of how many wickets we lose. If we lose them in a heap, then i agree, let's shut shop and go for the draw. But until then we need to win and square this series.
it's not about what we think or what they think. The official series scoreline is 2-1. We need to rectify that by all means possible. Bat out the first 10 overs at 4 RPO -> 48 runs lead Bat out another 20 overs at 6 RPO -> 168 runs lead -------------------------------------------------------------- 60 overs left in the day Bat out another 10 overs at 8+ RPO -> 250 runs lead -> declare leave the aussies 250 to win in 50 overs and see how they do. Everything of course changes in terms of how many wickets we lose. If we lose them in a heap, then i agree, let's shut shop and go for the draw. But until then we need to win and square this series.
Mr. optimistic, have a look @ this http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/226373.html Why don't you guys understand that we our ONE pacer short on a batting friendly pitch :pray:
LOL at the RPO scenario. You think it's easy to score 4' date='6, and 8 RPO on a last day track where the average has been around 3 RPO during the match? Just play out normal cricket and get away with a draw. How can you expect to bowl out Australia in 45 overs with 2 bowlers in Ishant and Pathan?[/quote'] Fixed.

It makes no sense to bat and declare now. Just bat the whole day for the sake of a couple of top order batsmen getting a century. I have no idea what Kumble would do, I think he might declare which would be pretty dumb at this point. God forbid we do and Australia go ODI style on us, we will be screwed. There is still chance to snatch defeat from the jaws of a draw, lets not let it happen. Then again, these words mean nothing, Kumble will make the ultimate choice...

If India bat for 45 overs at 4 RPO (MAX) we will come up with a lead of about 190-200. Can Aus make that in the other half? You bet if they go ODI style on us, they have the batting lineup to do so. If we give them more time, it will be easier for them to win, if we give them less, it will end in a draw either way. In which case, it was better for India to bat all day for the sake of career runs...

Shezza's idea aint bad. Executing it is another thing though. You want to win the match? You have to risk losing it - simple. There is no other way. Either set them 250 from 50 overs (will be hard to score at reqd rate though and fugetaboudit if Sehwag goes early) OR bat all day.