An interesting comparion between Kumble, Warne and Murali

DomainK

The best evaluation of a great spinner comes from his performance against the best batsmen. And therefore, I decided to see how these three gave fared against the only 'top five batsmen' of the opponent teams. Wickets of batsmen below the position of five are not counted here. In test matches Kumble has taken 295 wickets, Warne is marginally ahead with 307 wickets and Murali is leading with 327 wickets. Given that Kumble will play at least two more years of cricket, he will definitely take over Warne in this case and may be even Murali. IN ODIs Warne has taken only 160 wickets. Kumble is way ahead with 200 wickets and Murali has 225. Combined, in both formats Warne has got 467 and Kumble is way ahead again with 495. Murali has got 552. So, if you are looking at effectiveness of a leg spinner, these statistics say something against the popular opinion. Open for discussion.

The best evaluation of a great spinner comes from his performance against the best batsmen. And therefore, I decided to see how these three gave fared against the only 'top five batsmen' of the opponent teams. Wickets of batsmen below the position of five are not counted here. In test matches Kumble has taken 295 wickets, Warne is marginally ahead with 307 wickets and Murali is leading with 327 wickets. Given that Kumble will play at least two more years of cricket, he will definitely take over Warne in this case and may be even Murali. IN ODIs Warne has taken only 160 wickets. Kumble is way ahead with 200 wickets and Murali has 225. Again, there is a good possibility of Kumble leading this list by the time he retires. Combined, in both formats Warne has got 467 and Kumble is way ahead again with 495. Murali has got 552. So, if you are looking at effectiveness of a leg spinner, these statistics say something against the popular opinion. Open for discussion.
FYKI, Kumble has already retired from ODI's

I think one has to rate them against good players of spin...so for a yardstick, I would look at Warne vs Sri Lanka, Pakistan and/or India (his worst stats, I know), Kumble vs Sri Lanka or Pakistan and Murali vs India and/or Pakistan. It would be interesting how they shape up. I reckon the order would be Murali, Kumble then Warne but it would be of great interest to see the actual stats.

overall the world best spinners are kumble and warne....no doubt that muril is good but he performed mostly in srilanka where kumble and warne had performed in all countries they traveled and if u compare the stats for the most wickets of first five batsman then kumble is leading i think...so in my opinion kumble and warne would #1 and #2 and then murli comes at #3...

Yup, rule out quality number 6 and 7 batsmen like Waugh, Laxman, Gilchrist, Chanderpaul at times, etc... This is one of the more ridiculous stat manipulations I've seen.
Its not a manipulation....its a plain statement of who has taken most of the top five wickets. Where is the manipulation?

Warne - Not good against the best. Too many wickets against England to boost his stats Murali - Not good against the best but not as bad as warne. No wicket boosting but highly suspect action Kumble - Crap outside India in the 1st of his career,not as consistent with SR as the other two but not total crap against any 1 team You have add all this to judge them