Why is Sehwag in Tests >>> Sehwag in ODIs?

fineleg

Is it becos he is in a big hurry in ODIs? In Tests, he takes a bit of time initially, takes the singles, and then starts the bang bang. In ODIs he is rushing it. I'm sure he has been advised to take it easy in ODIs...he can score SLOWLY initially - wont matter. Once he stays for a while, he can Accelerate and all that easily. Wonder why Sehwag in ODIs is not so successful? Any analysis on whether his approach in ODIs is faulty?

Well, its got a lot do with the nature of tests and ODIs. In tests, the fields are more attacking, and there is no explicit pressure to keep the scoreboard ticking. So, Sehwag can defend the good balls, wait for the bad ball ( wide and short, or a half volley on leg-stump etc) and put it away. That is what happened in Adelaide, during the second innings. He gave the good balls the respect it deserved, either leaving them or defending, and then put the bad balls away. But ODIs are a bit different. There is this constant need to keep the scoreboard ticking. So Sehwag tries to hit even the good balls for 4s and hence gets out often.

Precisely something he need not do MM. If Sehwag is cautious initially, it will appear like our RR is only 3.0 in ODIs. Thats ok. Coz once hez in, then hez gonna break loose esp when spinners come on. Problem is half the time hez gonerz by the time middle overz kickz in with spinnerz!!! (ticz is having a certain effect :P)

hey finey I thought you had be banned from starting any thread with the word "sehwag" in it ?:haha:
Kaalam maari pochu, en kanneer maari pochu (have u heard that song, not the starting lines) (Translated for others: Times have a changed!):D PS: Hari, if he performs i dont have an issue, but when he starts to continue single digit scores, then it becomes an issue. And if he can score against Aus, I still maintain he should have mauled the domestic guys! Wonder why he kept failing against domestics on Flat pitches repeatedly over many matches!

sehwag will do better if the other opener is doing well at the other end.. generally what happens that the other partner gives the onus to sehwag to score the bulk of the runs...which adds more pressure on him.. if Gambhir or KKD or sachin or any other batsman..scores at decent pace..and maintain a healthy RR..then the pressure on viru to score bulk of runs will reduce...and he can play with controlled aggression...

I think this one day series could herald the beginning of a new Sehwag. I mean, he looked the best Indian batsman by miles in Adelaide during the second innings. And considering the kind of names we are talking about, like Sachin, Ganguly ( in his new Avtar) that is really something. He looked the only Indian batsman with any sort of command over the Aussie bowling, others were struggling to even get the ball off the square.

I think this one day series could herald the beginning of a new Sehwag. I mean' date=' he looked the best Indian batsman by miles in Adelaide during the second innings. And considering the kind of names we are talking about, like Sachin, Ganguly ( in his new Avtar) that is really something. He looked the only Indian batsman with any sort of command over the Aussie bowling, others were struggling to even get the ball off the square.[/quote'] MM, Even when VS was doing well in Tests, his ODI form was not so super. I hope this is a VS 2.0 for ODIs as well. Will wait and see. I can understand someone who does well in 2020/odis, not being able to translate it to Test level (read Yuvi). Itz a different skill level. But the otherway should be easier (unless you are a Chopra type Test bat, which VS is not)

^ As i said, the pressures of a one-day game is totally different compared to tests. Some people, like Yuvaj thrive in it, while others like Sehwag struggle to come to grips with it. Its a mental challenge more than anything else for Sehwag. Its a question of whether he has the mental discipline and stamina to last out there, ride out the tough periods, and then later cash in as the going gets easier. He has enough shots in repertoire and his technique is good enough for him to be a decent ODI player. Its just a pity he decides to throw away his wicket more often than not.

Guest HariSampath
PS: Hari' date=' if he performs i dont have an issue, but when he starts to continue single digit scores, then it becomes an issue. And if he can score against Aus, I still maintain he should have mauled the domestic guys! [b']Wonder why he kept failing against domestics on Flat pitches repeatedly over many matches!
puli payartthuku munnadi padhungindu irundhudhu :D

The biggest 'DUH' thread of the day. Ofcourse Sehwag is a much better batsman in Tests than ODIs. For the simple reason that in Tests, he is much more relaxed and has no problems playing 5-6 dot balls in a row before whacking a four. In ODIs, he almost always plays a daft stroke if he goes some balls without scoring. And frankly, i do not care. As long as Sehwag remains superb in Tests, i am his fan.

No pressure to score runs quickly in test cricket (although he scores at a brisk pace) allowing him to leave a few before having a waft at every other ball. In ODIs his mindset seems to be to have a go at every ball. If he doesn't do that he still will score runs at brisk pace but he chooses to have a go every ball. One little mistake or mistimed hit pretty much means end of yet another inning. I've forgotten how many times Sehwag's been out for under 10 or under 20 after scoring two or three consequtive fours.

Sehwag's best position in ODIs would be to bat in the middle order once the powerplays are over. It's partly the inner ring which makes him claustrophobic and go for too many strokes ending up edging one or getting caught in the ring. With a spread out field to deal with he will be a much more dangerous proposition.

And if he can score against Aus, I still maintain he should have mauled the domestic guys! Wonder why he kept failing against domestics on Flat pitches repeatedly over many matches!
Maverick champions don't function like that.
Maverick champions don't function like that.
Shwetabh, This is not one off domestics used as a general practice match. He was fighting for his place in the squad. Even under such circumstances, you say he'll switch off his mind and not perform against domestic attacks?
Shwetabh, This is not one off domestics used as a general practice match. He was fighting for his place in the squad. Even under such circumstances, you say he'll switch off his mind and not perform against domestic attacks?
Good point. Btw, I am not sure what pitches Delhi played on but Ranji trophy throws up a lot of seaming wickets as opposed to test cricket. Also, he is a batsman who requires a little bit of luck early on in his innings. So even in Ranji he might have a lean spell. Regarding ODI vs test, I think unless you are an exception (like SRT), ODIs can make a batsman try and take the aerial route which is not Sehwag's game. If he can avoid such temptations he can do better.
Good point. Btw, I am not sure what pitches Delhi played on but Ranji trophy throws up a lot of seaming wickets as opposed to test cricket. Also, he is a batsman who requires a little bit of luck early on in his innings. So even in Ranji he might have a lean spell.
Bunny, I'm willing to buy this point you make - maybe Ranji had difficult pitches - but I think that maybe the case for some pitches only. The luck part - yes, he needs that based on his way he bats. On a batting pitch (assuming he'll get that) if he wont perform (regularly wont perform) against domestics, and the reason given is they are too small a side for His Highness to be interested to do well to get into the squad - that doesnt fly with me. So, I'll disagree on that. You are in trouble, you need a 100 to do well, you have a popgun domestic attack, then just flay them. Maybe he was unlucky to get out in domestics, but a baffling number of times he must've been unlucky then.
Regarding ODI vs test, I think unless you are an exception (like SRT), ODIs can make a batsman try and take the aerial route which is not Sehwag's game. If he can avoid such temptations he can do better.
Yes, this is what I'm also trying to say. Just dont swish at the ball if you have 5 consecutive dot balls. Wait, and then the field will spread out slowly. Just play the ball on the merit.
Well, its got a lot do with the nature of tests and ODIs. In tests, the fields are more attacking, and there is no explicit pressure to keep the scoreboard ticking. So, Sehwag can defend the good balls, wait for the bad ball ( wide and short, or a half volley on leg-stump etc) and put it away. That is what happened in Adelaide, during the second innings. He gave the good balls the respect it deserved, either leaving them or defending, and then put the bad balls away. But ODIs are a bit different. There is this constant need to keep the scoreboard ticking. So Sehwag tries to hit even the good balls for 4s and hence gets out often.
yeh thats what i feel too he probably just tries too many things in ODI's becuase of having limited overs, in test matches he's able to wait for the loose delivery and smash it and with the field a bit more in it gets easier one he pierces a gap