Future of Shikhar Dhawan in test cricket

1 minute ago, prudent_kreeda said:

Selectors & Team management should take a firm decision and plan for the future now as  Vijay is nearing the end of his career and Dhawan just cannot survive against swing/seam . Right now they are following a very skewed vision where hacks like Shikha are given chances in SC condotions where they make merry and in tough conditions the hacks like Dhawan go missing big time . 

For openers role , they should see who has the technique to survive in seaming conditions  i.e. a tight technique around off stump, play minimum deliveries if not on stump , leave  short deliveries  early  in innings.   Such people should be your openers both in SC and SENA countries.   

Not sure we have many ready made in this category though .

Some come to mind (watched only a few , so might have missed some emerging players who fits above creteria) 

1. Prithvi Shaw - Not yet ready perhaps. Has a problem when ball moves away from the stumps as he prefers going towards leg a bit while playing. Throws his hands at balls outside  off. Get a feeling may be targetted with shortish balls on body big Time. But Kid has something special and good hand -eye co ordination and timing.  Should be top 2-3 contenders.

2. Mayank Agarwal :- Though high on selectors list not sure will he succeed vs Swing/Seam . Doubtful . May get a chance .

3. KL Rahul :  -  Should succeed in bouncier , hard pitches than pitches like England.  Of late game around off stump looks not good .  Also got out quite a few with inside edge catches which looks bit strange  . May be there is something to work out . Needs continuos place as opener for  6-8 tests . looks the best bet .

4. Samarth :-  Think worth investing on him .

5. Sanjay Ramaswamy :-   I thuink this fellow need to be considered to see if he can tep up in a year or 2 . 

Any other names  worth looking at ?

Dhruv shorey is another name ill look forward to 

I am a big supporter of Vijay, Rahul & Pujara but the current method of revolving doors needs to stop. We are messing with the national test team as if it's an inconsequential club side. While we should not have selected Dhawan at the first place, now that we have, he should have 3 tests at least. Same with Vijay & Rahul. Problem is that we did an A tour before this tour. But what are the chances of Shaw or Mayank getting selected if openers lose form? A tour before the main tour should be with the sole purpose of keeping replacements ready if main players get out of form or are injured. Ideally, people like Dhawan, Mukund should have opened in A tour matches. 

There is no quick fix for the situation we have today regarding top 3. At least for Rahane, if he is seriously out of form after 3 matches, we have Ankit Bawne who did well and played seaming ball well.

Bottom line - it will be unfair if Dhawan is given only one test. Neither do we have ready replacements. I will be happy to retract my statement if selectors have the guts to select Shaw who performed in that A tour. But how many of us expect that to happen? Begs the question of utility of A tours in terms of selection in national team.

4 minutes ago, Samcric said:

I am a big supporter of Vijay, Rahul & Pujara but the current method of revolving doors needs to stop. We are messing with the national test team as if it's an inconsequential club side. While we should not have selected Dhawan at the first place, now that we have, he should have 3 tests at least. Same with Vijay & Rahul. Problem is that we did an A tour before this tour. But what are the chances of Shaw or Mayank getting selected if openers lose form? A tour before the main tour should be with the sole purpose of keeping replacements ready if main players get out of form or are injured. Ideally, people like Dhawan, Mukund should have opened in A tour matches. 

There is no quick fix for the situation we have today regarding top 3. At least for Rahane, if he is seriously out of form after 3 matches, we have Ankit Bawne who did well and played seaming ball well.

Bottom line - it will be unfair if Dhawan is given only one test. Neither do we have ready replacements. I will be happy to retract my statement if selectors have the guts to select Shaw who performed in that A tour. But how many of us expect that to happen? Begs the question of utility of A tours in terms of selection in national team.

""   Begs the question of utility of A tours in terms of selection in national team ""

Mostly we agree that ,

1.Dhavan & Vijay will have to be replaced within a year or so, unless their performances improve dramatically.

2. We do not have ready made replacements as of now. 

3. 2 -3 guys are identified but are WIP. 

In such a case best thing to do ,would be just tweak it among the current members , and give exposure to 2nd rung players 

identified so that they can takeover in time to come.