Under-19 World Cup 2008, Malaysia

Chandan

Virat Kohli© from Delhi, Ravi Jadeja(vc) from Saurashtra, Pradeep Sangwan(Delhi), and Tanmay Srivastava(UP) are 4 players i've heard of that have been impressive. Virat Kohli is a fine middle order batsman, Ravi Jadeja is supposed to be handy with the bat and ball, Pradeep Sangwan is the young fast bowler who was brought into the Delhi team for the Ranji trophy and performed very well. Tanmay Srivastava has also been scoring runs very consistently of late. I think we have a good chance of lifting the cup this year..

Only consistency will pay, says U-19 skipper Kohli P Sujesh Rajan Posted online: Wednesday, January 30, 2008 at 10:19:51 Updated: Tuesday , January 29, 2008 at 10:36:42 Print Email To Editor Post Comments New Delhi, January 29 At his level, Virat Kohli has shown his prowess as a middle order bat. The 19-year-old’s Ranji Trophy stint this season has yielded 373 runs, including two hundreds. He played four matches. Then, on his South Africa trip (where he was skipper of the under-19 squad), he logged up 320 runs. Yet, the sense of fulfillment somehow does not come in. He missed the Ranji Trophy final, where Delhi emerged champions, beating Uttar Pradesh by nine wickets, because he was in South Africa. The DDCA did want him back in the squad for the final, but while Pradeep Sangwan was available, being skipper, Kohli could not return. Kohli says he would have wanted to play there. It is a just reason to be disappointed for the youngster from Vikaspuri. The Ranji Trophy final is a high profile event, and he would have wanted to show his wares there. He has been scoring heavily, but the right-hand bat feels he can surely do better. Instead of resting on his laurels, he believes it is high time he started converting more of his starts into big knocks. “I have been scoring well, but then now I have to start converting those scores into big knocks. Unfortunately that didn’t happen in a couple of the Ranji matches and also in South Africa,†Kohli told Sportline. “I wanted to play in the Ranji final as it is a big event in India and was being telecasted live on television. In every break that we got there during the days play or whenever I got a chance I checked the scores online and was very happy that we won the title,†Virat said. The big draw, of course, is Team India, and Kohli, as a No 4-5 bat, can always push his way through on his day, despite the crowded fringe, also waiting. The Delhi lad knows it will not be easy. Hence he says it’s just the consistent performance that can help him earn a place in the squad. “If I have to get a chance I will get have to keep on doing well. I am not thinking about the fact that I will have competition. For me what matters is consistent performance,†Virat said adding that his main focus is on the upcoming U-19 World Cup scheduled in Malaysia. “The team is good, and we are all playing as a unit and have gelled well. But now the main thing is to gel well along with the new coach.†The U-19 team leaves for Bangalore for a week camp on January 31 and will depart for Malaysia to take part in the ICC U-19 World Cup on February 7. Kohli factfile Born: November 5, 1988, Delhi Played for: Delhi, India Red, India Under-19s Playing slot: Lower middle order batsman First-class matches: 11 Runs: 630 Highest score: 169
You guys relying on schoolkids for glory these days' date=' boot is really on the other foot now beta[/quote'] lol - any win will do - whatever the level... tbh, the kids of the last 2 world cups are filtering through to the side.. fawad alam(2004), sarfraz ahmed(2006), Nasir Jamshed(2006) for eg, Pakistan do bleed alot of their youngsters to senior side.. i was just looking at the u19 tournament when india won in 2000. http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1999-2000/OTHERS+ICC/U19-WC2000/SQUADS/U19-WC2000_PAK-SQUAD.html here's pak's squad and here is India's... http://www.cricinfo.com/link_to_database/ARCHIVE/1999-2000/OTHERS+ICC/U19-WC2000/SQUADS/U19-WC2000_IND-SQUAD.html Only 2/3 have gone on and made some sort of name for themselves on the senior side.

Abhinav Mukund's a good TN batsman - opener or no.3, started his f/c season very well at a pretty young age. But these are one dayers and I'm not sure how well he'll do - his youth record's very indifferent (small sample size though) in one dayers, but he's got a reputation for either getting out early or getting set and making big scores. His scores in his first few of Ranji games (not debut - he played one f/c game for TN v. a SL side before playing Ranjis) were interesting... tonned up the first time he played for TN, then got a duck second innings. Next game tonned up first innings v. Saurashtra, didn't bat again... but then ended up getting a duck in his next f/c innings v. Himachal before then following with 96 in the second dig. So literally an all or nothing bat in f/cs at times - given the hit-out nature of ODIs and the fact that he's a fairly slow scorer, not sure how well he'll do - but there's already been talk of him, Rahane and Ravi Teja all being candidates for future test opening berths. Tanmay's being talked up seriously as a future player. He's played a couple of yrs f/c but his record overall hasn't been that great - that is until this season's final. He took about 2 years to get a significant f/c knock but picked a good stage - began the Ranji final with a quite glorious hundred v. Delhi. Problem with him is that he tends to get out to fairly loose strokeplay occasionally and is an LBW candidate early on in his innings if the ball's moving a bit. He's one of those guys who initially got picked very much on 'look'... needs to start making more big scores and converting the pretty 30s and 40s into substantial innings. But has all the tools - nice cuts/drives through the off, good as well on the leg side - and he can handle seam too. When the U19 side toured NZ a year or so ago, there were a couple of pitches that were very seam friendly - Tanmay and Rahane from Bombay were the only two to really shine there. Kohli's being talked up a bit and I reckon he'll be very effective in the one dayers - good hitter, attacking bat and he's had a very good youth record so far with the bat. Napoleon Einstein has the coolest name of the bunch - but very little national youth or domestic experience. He's played only 2 List A games for TN - scored well in one, failed in another - both were against shythouse teams (Kerala and Assam), so take it all with a grain of salt. In most of his TN U19 games he hasn't really done anything of note, so I doubt he's really a likely selection or will have anything to do w/ the nationals in the future - but hey, the name might at least provide some comedy value. Abdulla's probably the guy to watch for me... there are very few people who break into the Mumbai team at 18, so it's a big deal - heck Rahane was benched at 19, and would have walked into any other Ranji XI without a second thought. Aside from the likes of Kambli/Muzumdar/Sachin, there've been very few other kids to break into a Mumbai XI that young - so the fact that Abdulla did it does mean he's worth watching. From the few times I've seen him he's generally looked very promising. Good left arm spinner, very accurate/tidy, but I'd like to see him give the ball a bit more air. Not sure yet whether he has the capability to just run through a side, but he can be very steady and economical - in fact had some really good spells in South Africa recently in the one dayers where he was consistently conceding under 4 an over and taking a few wickets. Other thing w/ him is that he can bat as well - impressed a fair bit in the Irani Trophy at the start of the season, although hasn't done that much since. But he's got a really good technique - might take a coach like Whatmore to bring more out of him, as there are people in Bombay who've said he has the capability to bat at 7 as a possible bowling all rounder a la Vettori. Sangwan's the other big bowling name to follow. Story is that Sehwag actually had a bit of trouble facing him in the nets at Delhi and felt he was a good prospect, so had him fast tracked to the Delhi team... not a bad bit of selection as he became Delhi's top bowler for the season, comprehensively outdoing the likes of Narwan, Goofy and Bhandari. Gets serious swing (left armer), pace around the mid/high 120s when I saw him in f/c (might crank it up a bit more for the U19s in one dayers w/ the selectors paying more attention), and the kid's only 17 - but bowls very well around and over the wicket, and with the new and old ball. Serious talent - as I've said before on here the kid has 'test bowler' written all over him. Question of when not if here. Ravi Jadeja's a much talked up all rounder who's so far done sod all on the f/c scene - his list A record's very good, but from what I've seen of him I think his utility will be limited to the shorter form in the long run. Decent bat with a bit of FTB about him, tidy SLA who doesn't really threaten for wickets - still reckon there's more hype here than anything else. Couple of strange omissions... not sure what the age rule is for the side (as the CI profiles show a handful of players like Jadeja, Argal and Kohli to be over 19 years already), but both Dhawal Kulkarni and Omkar Gurav have been left out. Gurav'd be the oldest member of the side, so maybe he's past the age limit - but Dhawal's younger than Virat Kohli and he's been doing very well on the Bombay club circuit - IMO VERY unlucky not to be considered on this tour and the stupidest mistake by the youth selectors who really must have a lot of wool over their eyes to leave him out here (as he's younger than Kohli who's in the side, ergo definitely eligible). Bombay selectors also missed the boat on this guy btw... sh*tloads of injuries to the bowlers this season - Verma, Agarkar, Salvi, Malvi, Waingarkar and Hazare were all injured and they didn't give him a go. He did get to play recently in the England Lions/MCA warmup a few days ago because the best Bombay players were either with the Duleep side, with the India national or U19 side (or in Amol's case left out of the Duleeps because the selectors are f-wits) - think it was 15 a side, 11 bowling/11 batting (so won't show on his fc record), and ran through a stacked England batting lineup with 5/33. Got Carberry, Joyce, Trott (so two int'l players already), plus Adil Rashid (solid all rounder) and Liam Plunkett (also not a shabby bat). Oh, and he did very well in the one U19 test he played on the New Zealand tour I mentioned above... bowled first change at Dunedin, with one chap called Ishant Sharma taking the new ball - you might have heard of him, I reckon, he's been bowling alright in Australia... Dhawal basically outbowled Ishant right through. 3/33 in the first innings (compared to Ishant's 1/35 - in fact Kulkarni was the best bowler of that first innings) and got another 2/42 in the second (while Ishant went for 103 and took 2 wickets) - so he's definitely a good talent. The U19 and Bombay selectors have both treated him fairly shabbily - although with the Bombay lineup being so unsettled, I'm hoping that he features a bit in the next season's f/c lineup. An attack led by Dhawal Kulkarni and Sangwan could be rather fun to watch.

I'm quite eagerly waiting for this one to start. One of the lads I know (17 year old) has been picked to play for NZ and he's quite a good all rounder. Batting as an opener he scored at an average of 50+ and opened the bowling for Wellington against rest of the regions in the trial tourney.

India colts face tough challenge Calcutta: India are in for a tough fight for a Super League berth in the ICC Under-19 World Cup with group B also featuring the West Indies, South Africa and Papua New Guinea. India, the one-time champions (2000), have been overshadowed in the last few years by arch-rivals Pakistan who will gun for a hattrick of titles, according to a media release. Under the guidance of former Sri Lanka and Bangladesh coach Dav Whatmore, India are one of the favourites. Captain Viraat Kohli has made 373 runs at an average of 53 in the five first-class matches of his career till date, including a top score of 159. Kohli had a strong domestic season, having averaged 72.67 for Delhi in last season’s Cooch Behar Trophy. Batsman Sreevats Goswami has been in excellent form, scoring 104 against Bangladesh and 97 against South Africa in a triangular series in Pretoria recently. “Hopes are high and the boys have talent,†said Kohli. “However, all the teams are good and none should be taken lightly.,†he said. ----------------------- I don't think this team should be the favourite based on the talents. Apart from Sangwan, I can't spot any serious talent here. But if they do win, then good on them.
apart from saangwan no seriouz talent?? how can u say that chandan?? tanmay and Virat are pretty good too. and we don't know how much otherz will offer in this cup..
I'm not sure tics. From what I've seen, I don't rate either of them very highly but then I don't have knowledge about others and have only read about them. They might click as a team and perform well. But I'm not very hopeful, to be honest! India can regain Under-19 World Cup: Raman G Krishnan Mumbai FORMER INDIA opener WV Raman, who coached the India u-19 side on the recent tour of South Africa, reckons Virat Kohli's team can win the World Cup, which starts on February 17 in Malaysia. Raman, who guided the team to victories in both the tri-series and the 'Tests', would be making way for Day Whatmore in Malaysia. Speaking to Hindustan Times, Raman said the youngsters showed a lot of promise on the tour and were among the favourites for the title. Excerpts: Was the South Africa tour good preparation for the World Cup? Weren't the conditions very different to what the team would face in Malaysia? In terms of the team playing together and getting a measure of their strengths and weaknesses the tour served its purpose. The trip also gave the team the opportunity to assess South Africa, who are in India's pool in the World Cup. The conditions cannot be compared. Kuala Lumpur (KL) will be much, much more humid and sultry And then, the pitches and the size of the grounds in KL will be different to the ones in SA. Who were the stand-out performers, the ones to be watched in the future? The batsmen were excellent in their approach and situational assessment. Virat Kohli, Sourav Tiwary, Manish Pandey and Tanmay Srivastav did well. Abhinav Mukund got off the blocks but failed to convert starts. The wicketkeeper Srivastava Goswami performed exceptionally as an opener in the onedayers. As for the bowlers, Pradeep Sangwan and the spinners Ravindra Jadeja and Igbal Abdullah bowled well. The ones to be watched are Virat Kohli, Tiwary, Pandey, Abhinav and Sangwan, but they need to go through the grind of first-class cricket for three more seasons. India won the last U-19 world cup in 2000 but failed in the subsequent editions. What are the chances this time? Very high, because the boys have been playing together for a while and have gelled as a team. Their individual and collective cricketing acumen is arguably superior to most of the other teams. If they do half as well as they did in SA, they should regain the World Cup. Some of the under-19 players have already become key players for their state sides. What does this suggest? This is indicative of the fact that their talents are recognised and obviously the experience they have gained playing in the Ranji Trophy gives them a definite edge over the cricketers of other countries at this level. What is the major concern for junior cricketers in India? The promise shown by these youngsters does provide excitement and anticipation, but the critical issue is how well these promising youngsters are nurtured and prepared to facilitate their transition into senior cricket. I mean that they cannot be picked for India in a hurry. Besides, they should not be gauged based just on their performances in the one-day format of the game. Do you think the likes of Appanna and Iqbal Abdulla can fill the gap once Anil Kumble retires? Their talent notwithstanding, they have a long way to go before they can be considered for the senior side. The reason I say this is because as of now they have done well by catering to the demands of one-day cricket. They can be deemed ready only if they achieve more consistency in their line and length and pick up wickets regularly in the longer version of the game. How was the trip for you?You must have met most boys for the first time... The trip was excellent for me in that I was able to tune in to the wavelength of the boys fairly quickly The time I had spent with them also helped me to get the best out of them in a short period. ---------------------------------- It is hard to imagine why BCCI could not send Raman to at least assist Whatmore when he was the coach of these boys just few months back!!!

I want to know about Dhaval Kulkarni. I know he has done well at 19 level and he must be in the w/c team, but can he make it to the national side? is he a tall fast bowler? How fast he can bowl? Do u see some hopes in him in terms of fast bowling? How much talented he is? I have heard a lot about him.

I want to know about Dhaval Kulkarni. I know he has done well at 19 level and he must be in the w/c team' date=' but can he make it to the national side? is he a tall fast bowler? How fast he can bowl? Do u see some hopes in him in terms of fast bowling? How much talented he is? I have heard a lot about him.[/quote'] WC team is given in the original post and as far as I can see, Dhawal Kulkarni is not included in the squad. In fact he didn't get to play even a single FC match for Mumbai these season. You can read about him in Salil's post, in this very page.
Tanmay confident of good show at Under-19 World Cup Lucknow, February 6: Young but promising UP cricketer Tanmay Srivastava is quite confident about India putting up a good show in the upcoming ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup in Malaysia. And for that Tanmay is sweating it out hard along with other team players at the camp at Bangalore. Tanmay has been playing an important role for the India Under-19 team as well as the UP senior team for quite sometime. He had to cut short his South Africa tour last month for playing in the UP vs Delhi Ranji final in Mumbai last month and he did prove the UPCA officials right for ‘asking’ for Tanmay’s return for the final by hitting a splendid century at Mumbai. In the tri-nation tournament at South Africa too, Tanmay proved his worth by blasting an unbeaten 105 in the tournament which largely resulted in a loss for the hosts. Talking to The Indian Express, the left-handed batsman who has also captained India Under-19 in the past said, “ I am happy with my performances in the domestic as well as in the international circuit during the last couple of years. My present form has increased my confidence level and I really wish to give my best along with my other colleagues and fetch the country the coveted Under-19 World Cup. The India Under-19 team has been doing really well for the last one-and-a-half years and we look forward to maintain this winning stride. Last time, India lost to Pakistan in the finals but this time we are confident of winning!†Tanmay said playing with international players like Mohd Kaif, Suresh Raina and Piyush Chawla during UP matches have brought a lot of improvement in his game. “I have learnt how to deal with tough situations. The seniors keep guiding me from time to time. By getting an opportunity to rub shoulders with them, my approach has become very positive while playing in the international matches against Under-19 teams of various nations.†So besides this, does the 18 year-old have any ‘mantra’ which he ‘chants’ before playing those extra innings? “I make it a point to do really good net practice before the match. During night, I visualise myself playing some of my favourite shots. I try to imagine of how I should play the next day,†Tanmay confided. Regarding the wickets at Malaysia, Tanmay said that he has been to Malaysia during the tri-series involving England, India and Malaysia a year ago in which India had triumphed “ I have played there and can say that it is a pleasure to bat at the wickets there.†Talking about the February 1 to 8 India Under-19 camp at Bangalore being held under the supervision of coach Dav Whatmore, Tanmay said, “He is sharing his experience with us. Our talent is being groomed. We are all eagerly waiting for the mega event which kicks off in mid-February.â€
Manish Pandey is the lone State player in the India U-19 squad A shining prospect Madhu Jawali Currently part of the Malaysia-bound India under-19 World Cup squad, Manish is the lone Karnataka player in the 15-member squad... For someone still in his teens, Manish Pandey has an assured calmness about himself. Clear in his mind and confident in his demeanour. May be that is to do with his place of birth Nainital, the lake city of Uttarakhand. But give him a bat, the 18-year-old is a different proposition altogether. The belligerent attitude has seen the youngster make some rapid strides in his promising career. It's little wonder then that he calls Ricky Ponting his favourite cricketer. "I just love the way he bats," he says, almost in awe. Currently part of the Malaysia-bound India under-19 World Cup squad, Manish is the lone Karnataka player in the 15-member squad. The youngster is obviously thrilled at the opportunity to represent the country at the biggest competition in cricket at this level. “I am excited to be part of the World Cup squad,†says Manish, who is training at the conditioning camp for the team at the National Cricket Academy under coach Dav Whatmore. “It's a great feeling no doubt and I am looking forward to make the most of the opportunity,†he adds. Son of an army officer, Manish moved to Bangalore some three years ago when his father was transferred to the City from Nasik. Proper shape Manish's father is now posted in Rajasthan, but he doesn't want to move away from Bangalore, determined to give his career a proper shape in a State that has produced some of the best cricketers the country has seen, not to forget two successive captains including the present one. Not a bad move! “It is here (in Karnataka) that I got a sudden boost to my career. I used to play in Nainital. I played in Nasik for four years in local leagues and was part of Maharashtra's State under-14 probables. But after I moved to Bangalore I got some big opportunities,†he reasons. Manish, in fact, earned those chances with some eye-catching performances in the KSCA league. In the first year of his arrival, Manish played for Friends' Cricket Club in the fourth division and the next year he appeared for Jawans Cricket Club in the second division and he was the highest run-getter for them, helping Jawans get promoted to first division. In the subsequent year, Manish collected runs in excess of 800 for Jawans in the first division and a place State under-19 squad was beckoning. As part of Karnataka colts, Manish slammed a double hundred against Maharashtra in an under-19 match and struck century in both the innings against Andhra in Vizag in the South Zone under-22 match. Meanwhile, he also hit an unbeaten 138 against Kerala in the one-dayers. These performances didn't go unnoticed. He was part of India under-19 team for the Sri Lankan sojourn, albeit only for the one-dayers in which he had reasonable success. Big boost Manish's career received a big boost late last year when the right-hander was picked for the State Ranji squad close on the heels of his inclusion into the South Africa-bound India U-19 squad. Though he didn't get a look-in in the State 11, he made ample use of the opportunities he got in South Africa. In the three one-dayers he got to bat, Manish churned out scores of 30 n.o., 54 and 74, the last knock coming in the final against Bangladesh and the one that fetched him man of the final award. It's too early to say Manish is the next big hope of Karnataka, but on the evidence of the talent at show, he is the most promising bat. And of that there is little doubt.