What is your Indian Top 10 cricketers of all time ranking?

maniac

3 hours ago, Gollum said:

I give max weightage to test cricket, so sorry the likes of Yuvi, MSD miss out of my top 10 even though massive respect to their achievements. MSD had a decent test career but misses out because the damage he caused to Indian cricket post 2011 over rides the good stuff. 

1. Sachin

2. Kapil

3. Sunny

4. Kumble (without him we would be Bangladesh level in the 90s)

5. Dravid

6. Sehwag

7. Ganguly (more than just his batting, what we are seeing today is a product of his vision)

8. Kohli (By 2019 end I see him challenging the big 3 of SRT-Sunny-Kapil)

9. Ashwin (7 MOS is out of the world, if luck doesn't desert him like it did in Centurion and if he remains fit for another 4 years he will challenge Kumble's spot)

10. Bedi (IMO the GOAT Indian spinner)

Honorable mentions: Vishy, Amarnath, Laxman, Srinath, Mankad, Vengsarkar, Zaheer

Kohli By 2019 end? You mean sehwag, ganguly were also just 2 years away from challenging your top three? Or should  kohli be higher in your list? 

45 minutes ago, randomGuy said:

Kohli By 2019 end? You mean sehwag, ganguly were also just 2 years away from challenging your top three? Or should  kohli be higher in your list? 

No I meant Kohli, if he can have a stupendous 2019 WC and a decent Eng tour, will challenge the top 3.

Ganguly had an excellent record in WCs and CT and Viru was a more accomplished match winner than present Kohli. The reason I rated Dada higher was as much to do with his leadership and change in Indian cricket team psychology/mindset as his batting/bowling. Viru has been our greatest match winner with the bat, he was basically the batting version of Ashwin, only thing he did it over 100 tests. 

I won't say Dada/Viru were 2 years away from challenging the top 3-5. But had Dada not declined so much in ODIs after 2003 and had the Chappell saga not happened which took a toll on his records, he would have challenged the top 3-5. Remember he was as good or sometimes better than SRT as an ODI batsman in his first 6-7 years and more importantly delivered in big matches, even in test cricket he played many clutch knocks, so he wasn't that far away from top 3-5 considering his brilliant leadership which took us away from the dark 90s. Viru is another tragic tale, he could have been so much better in ODIs and even a half decent record in 2 out of Eng/SA/NZ would have cemented his status as not just as All time top 5 Indian player but also as the greatest opener since Gavaskar. Margins are very small but very difficult to achieve. There's no guarantee Kohli will set his record right in Eng tests and 2019 WC either....... so the wait may get longer but I feel he will eventually get there. The only question is whether he will stop at Sachin/Kapil level or go one step further. 

Edited by Gollum
17 minutes ago, Gollum said:

No I meant Kohli, if he can have a stupendous 2019 WC and a decent Eng tour, will challenge the top 3.

Ganguly had an excellent record in WCs and CT and Viru was a more accomplished match winner than present Kohli. The reason I rated Dada higher was as much to do with his leadership and change in Indian cricket team psychology/mindset as his batting/bowling. Viru has been our greatest match winner with the bat, he was basically the batting version of Ashwin, only thing he did it over 100 tests. 

I won't say Dada/Viru were 2 years away from challenging the top 3-5. But had Dada not declined so much in ODIs after 2003 and had the Chappell saga not happened which took a toll on his records, he would have challenged the top 3-5. Remember he was as good or sometimes better than SRT as an ODI batsman in his first 6-7 years and more importantly delivered in big matches, even in test cricket he played many clutch knocks, so he wasn't that far away from top 3-5 considering his brilliant leadership which took us away from the dark 90s. Viru is another tragic tale, he could have been so much better in ODIs and even a half decent record in 2 out of Eng/SA/NZ would have cemented his status as not just as All time top 5 Indian player but also as the greatest opener since Gavaskar. Margins are very small but very difficult to achieve. There's no guarantee Kohli will set his record right in Eng tests and 2019 WC either....... so the wait may get longer but I feel he will eventually get there. The only question is whether he will stop at Sachin/Kapil level or go one step further. 

Sachin didn't dominate the ATG bowlers like Akram McGrath Murli Donald etc. Rather they dominated him (from memory) . The only ATG bowler that Sachin dominated was Warne. 

Look at the way kohli has played so far. specially away. 

Also, any top 10 must have Dhoni. 

top 10 milestones IMO (in chronological order)

1. Pataudi - we can win too

2. Gavaskar - we can be "no.1 test batsman" for that era

3. Kapil - we can win world cups

4. Tendulkar - we can be "the alpha batsman" in the history of cricket

5. Ganguly - not soft anymore

6. Dravid - we won't give up

7. Kumble - we dominate at home

8. Zaheer - we can master their conditions in their backyards

9. Dhoni - LoI kings

10. Kohli - we want to win everything (on-going project)

these are IMO top 10 paradigm shifts in the mindset of Indian fans due to the motivations of the Indian players...

I tried my best to be chronological.