[POLL] Was the 1983 WC F team fielded by WI the strongest ODI XI ever?

Was 1983 WI the GOAT ODI team?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Was 1983 WC F WI the strongest XI ever fielded in ODI history?

• Yes
    • No, WI of 1979 WC was better
    • No, Aus of 2000s fielded better teams
    • Some other team (specify)

2 hours ago, rkt.india said:

WI ODI team is/was overrated.

I beg to differ. Not everything of the past can be downplayed with such sweeping statements. Else tomorrow you will say Dhyan Chand, Fischer, MJ, Laver, Maradona all are over rated...wahi nahin you will start calling Gauss, Newton, Einstein over rated..sorry boss, aisa nahi chalega. Transpose them legends to modern times, give them modern facilities, bring them up to date with modern developments and they will still be equally dominant...a champion in one era will always be a champion in another. 

Gavaskar has faced those WI freaks as well as Wasim, never has he said that they were less threatening compared to the Pakistani maverick...same with other cross generational superstars like Border, Gooch, Miandad, Crowe etc. All those batting legends are unanimous in their view about the greatness of that WI attack. 

12 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I beg to differ. Not everything of the past can be downplayed with such sweeping statements. Else tomorrow you will say Dhyan Chand, Fischer, MJ, Laver, Maradona all are over rated...wahi nahin you will start calling Gauss, Newton, Einstein over rated..sorry boss, aisa nahi chalega. Transpose them legends to modern times, give them modern facilities, bring them up to date with modern developments and they will still be equally dominant...a champion in one era will always be a champion in another. 

Gavaskar has faced those WI freaks as well as Wasim, never has he said that they were less threatening compared to the Pakistani maverick...same with other cross generational superstars like Border, Gooch, Miandad, Crowe etc. All those batting legends are unanimous in their view about the greatness of that WI attack. 

when you see today that someone like Joffra Archer can enter the IPL and make some players hop about the crease , that is someone who would have not been Inthe first 12 of fast bowlers to play for WI in those times I laugh and think what the great WI bowlers would have done to today's batsmen 

With today's bats and short boundaries I hate to think how hard and how far Richards, Lloyd, Greenidge and co could hit.

Greats would be great in any generation!!

34 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

when you see today that someone like Joffra Archer can enter the IPL and make some players hop about the crease , that is someone who would have not been Inthe first 12 of fast bowlers to play for WI in those times I laugh and think what the great WI bowlers would have done to today's batsmen 

With today's bats and short boundaries I hate to think how hard and how far Richards, Lloyd, Greenidge and co could hit.

Greats would be great in any generation!!

only 12? 

The issue with ODI comparison, it’s keeps evolving every 3-4 years, new rules, new style

of play, equipment advancment

it makes comparison with eras difficult 

A few examples...

would swing of Wasim and Waqar be as effective with use of two balls?

would Windies quicks as good with flat pitches galore everywhere?

what about the effect  and physcholocal impact ofDRS?

and the biggest one...the two bouncer rule per over, this would hinder a lot the past great quicks!

Edited by chewy