Taufel could walk away from cricket

Cricinfo staff February 11, 2008 Simon Taufel, who is still only 37, is already growing weary of cricket's treadmill © Getty Images Simon Taufel, the Australian umpire ranked the best in the world over the past four years, has revealed he could walk away from the game when his contract expires on March 31. The news would be a huge blow to the International Cricket Council, with the spotlight on umpiring standards burning more fiercely than ever. Last month, Steve Bucknor was in the eye of another storm when the ICC removed him from officiating any further in Australia's series against India. And yesterday, during the fourth match of the CB Series, Rudi Koertzen gave Adam Gilchrist out lbw despite the left-hander apparently edging the ball. Taufel, ranked No.1 in the world by the ICC, is only 37 but is already growing weary at the constant travelling his job demands. "After [March 31] I am on the open market," he told the Daily Telegraph. "I am taking it year by year. It's important to spend time with my family, spend more time with my kids. I am always looking for new opportunities, not necessarily umpiring. "There is lots of room for improvement with training and support at the ICC level," he said. "It's challenging. The difference between us and the players is we don't have a home series as such. That makes it harder. There are fewer opportunities for us. "How do you balance that with hobbies and family life and celebrating anniversaries?" In the past two weeks, Adam Gilchrist and Shane Bond have ended their international careers but will appear in the Indian Premier League (IPL) and the Indian Cricket League respectively, attracted by huge salaries for a relatively short period of work. Taufel, too, isn't ruling out the IPL who, according to the Daily Telegraph, are set to make him an offer. http://content-ind.cricinfo.com/australia/content/story/336127.html

lets not get too dramatic ... he is one umpire ... no one umpire is irreplaceable ... he makes valid points abt the trials of the profession but such is life ... dont see why people are getting their panties in a twist over this
Considering the current state of umpiring, his quiting is indeed irreplaceable at least for the time being.

Everytime somone says anything about family, being away from etc, my mind automatically shifts to one name - Sachin Tendulkar. For nearly 20 years now, this man has been on the road, performing for his country. When other teenagers were hanging out with their friends, he played cricket 8 hours a day. When other 20-21 year olds were dating with girls, watching movies, he was playing county cricket in England. Rarely does anyone realize the kind of hardwork and sacrifice that has gone behind making Sachin what he is today. He is just awesome. And with regards to the topic, it will be a big blow if Taufel decides to quit umpiring. He is the ONLY umpire on whom i have any sort of confidence.

Everytime somone says anything about family, being away from etc, my mind automatically shifts to one name - Sachin Tendulkar. For nearly 20 years now, this man has been on the road, performing for his country. When other teenagers were hanging out with their friends, he played cricket 8 hours a day. When other 20-21 year olds were dating with girls, watching movies, he was playing county cricket in England. Rarely does anyone realize the kind of hardwork and sacrifice that has gone behind making Sachin what he is today. He is just awesome. And with regards to the topic, it will be a big blow if Taufel decides to quit umpiring. He is the ONLY umpire on whom i have any sort of confidence.
Playing cricket itself is not considered work by many. Sure its hardwork but its a passion and something that one looks forward to unlike waking up on Monday morning and not looking forward to going to work. I would think that Sachin must've spent time with his family in the off season.
"How do you balance that with hobbies and family life and celebrating anniversaries?"
Loved this particular line. It tells you exactly where his priorities are. Not too many people talk of hobbies when they are past 25 but good to see a man in late 30s talk about having a complete life and not just dealing with his profession. Toufell of course has not been alone in talking about so much cricket and its affect. Very recently South African captain Graeme Smith had uttered It’s kind of hard to go on one date, have a nice dinner and then say: ‘That was nice - what are you doing in six weeks’ time? I’m going to Chittagong Frankly its time the fans started to seriously think of their impact on the game. Every other team is having players with injury issues, every other captain speaks of burn outs and now even umpires are feeling the brunt. But the fans expect to watch a game every other day so they can follow it on their laptops! Anyone listening?
Playing cricket itself is not considered work by many. Sure its hardwork but its a passion and something that one looks forward to unlike waking up on Monday morning and not looking forward to going to work. I would think that Sachin must've spent time with his family in the off season.
No trust me, beyond a point, any work/job/profession/passion will become monotonous.
Umpiring is one of the most difficult jobs. The constant pressure that they are under and not to mention the emotional factor after the game is done. The media then haunts you and even the fans. This is one job I wouldnt like to do.
It is a thankless job. It doesnt exactly matter how good you are. You may be the best umpire ever, still when the list is compiled of 100 greatest figure of cricket you wont find a mention anywhere.
Guest HariSampath

Simon Tauffel is undoubtedly one of the best International cricket umpires in a long time. Umpires like Frank Chester, Dicky Bird, Venkat and Tauffel are certainly in a class of their own. He is of course right and the tour does rob one of a lot of other pursuits in life along with family time. ICC can consider having the elite panel a little bigger , have much better paychecks/post retirement plans, and also have elite panel members doing games in their own countries. When Cricket boards can pay for family of cricketers to be with them, why not umpires ? A panel of 3-4 elite umpires per country can do games on a rotation basis, both at home and on the road. Elite does not have to mean limited, but just much higher standards so ICC should maintain very high standards and also expand locally in all countries. I hope Simon goes on for a few more seasons at least, perhaps he can take a few months total break from the game and then come back, he certainly has plenty more to give cricket and I would like to see him supervising 2011 WC

What sort of sacrifice is he making? He is getting paid in dollops, he has made that choice of lifestyle. Sorry can't appreciate this in the sacrifice thingy. Hardwork..yes. But he is motivated to put in the hardwork because it is paying him and his family dearly.
Guest HariSampath

^ I agree....there is no question of sacrifice in professional sport. Sachin took to the sport because he was good at it, liked to play and it would give him big money and fame. The very minimum he needs to do for all this fame and money is to stay away from wife and kids for 50% of the year . Hey how many of you can take wife and kids to work ? Especially as the wife and kids of players like Sachin get free paid for vacations in places like South Africa, Australia, England whenever they want, plus all the attention and focus of being Sachin's wife, kids etc. And the facts are that most of the non playing times cricketers are with their families and dont have to go to office, in addition to having working vacations with families. I guess most of us will take the above package anyday !

^ I agree....there is no question of sacrifice in professional sport. Sachin took to the sport because he was good at it' date=' liked to play and it would give him big money and fame. The very minimum he needs to do for all this fame and money is to stay away from wife and kids for 50% of the year . Hey how many of you can take wife and kids to work ? Especially as the wife and kids of players like Sachin get free paid for vacations in places like South Africa, Australia, England whenever they want, plus all the attention and focus of being Sachin's wife, kids etc. And the facts are that most of the non playing times cricketers are with their families and dont have to go to office, in addition to having working vacations with families. I guess most of us will take the above package anyday ![/quote'] Plus you can retire in 30's and stay with your family after that !!! how many of us can retire in 30's
At least if Taufel retires we might see an Indian umpire on the elite panel' date=' what crap is this when you have 3 paki umpires and no Indian?[/quote'] Potential Indian umps have probably read some of the hysterical claptrap in this site about umpires. Why would they want to umpire ??