Where does Raina go?

chamatkar

I've been reading up on Raina lately and was wondering what the future holds for him. If you look at the current ODI side, with Rohit, Uthappa, Yuvi, Dhoni and Pathan occupying the middle order, is there a long term place for him? Or does he slot in only when there are injuries to the above? If we look at Indian cricket for the past decade, The big three took three places in the middle order and left only only the openers and the all rounder slot was shufflable. However I think Raina is more in the mould of Dravid where he can either consolidate or break free when the occasion demands. But a lot of that depends on how cricket as a whole pans out. 10 years ago (well actually 12 -yrs WC 96), cricket has the stable players who worked on the 60 runs in the first 15 overs and then score 250 as a competitive score; which at this point of time seems ridiculously simple. How cricket will change in the next 5-10 years will also decide the future of a player like Raina. However, I was interested in figuring out what ICFers thought was the best team would be in 2013-2014 given what we know of the Indian domestic and international scene?

end raina's carrer???? he is too young to be considered as "Done" from int'l crkt..
Dont get me wrong , I hope and wish that he does well All I am saying is that he has had enough chances to prove if he is a good player at the international level. Some cricketers are not meant for international level and if he doesnt click in next few chances that he gets then selectors should try someone else ! :isalute:

He is one of my favorites and has already proved himself in his initial matches that he can do well at the top level. He has played some terrific inings in the past and he was one of main stay of india's 16 consecutive run chases in one day cricket. He got out of the team because of injury. He is good enough player to make it again. If you talk about his batting average in one day cricket than it is useless because more often he batted at number 7 where you do not get many overs to bat always. He is averaging more than 25 at seven, how many batsman has this average, i do not know. You cannot expect a batsman playing at 7, to score 100s. You know wisdon. he was declared the future of international cricketer by Wisdon. I think he has something in him thats why they did that. He has a big future ahead....

Given what we know of the current Indian lineup, does he deserve a long term place in the side? I was kind of surprised when Tiwary was taken in the first game... to me that was some sort of an insight into the working chemistry of the team and the roles of the people involved. Obviously I might be reading too much and Tiwary was an experiment, but given the year they both had, I would've thought Raina still deserved the chance more. I'm assuming that Yuvi will stabilise in some time in ODIs at least and become a permanent fixture, so Raina as his replacement is not a scenario I'm looking at... Does he deserve some other spot? Uthappa vs. Raina?