SRT's future

SRT's future  

1. 1.

• Play only Tests
    • Play only ODIs
    • Play only 60-70% ODIs
    • Retire from cricket
    • Should play both ODIs and Tests

Yesterday when the run chase started, somehow I knew that SRT wont make more than 10 and I was wondering why did I feel that way but then I read the below on cricinfo "the run-chase has caught him cold in ODIs: over the last three years, Tendulkar averages a mere 26.94 in the 39 matches that India have chased, with 18 single-digit scores. During the same period, he has averaged 56.03 in the 32 innings when India have batted first, with four centuries and just seven scores of less than ten. The last time Tendulkar scored a century in a run-chase was nearly four years ago, when he stroked a glorious 141 in Rawalpindi against Pakistan. " Is it time for SRT to hang up his boots from the ODIs and just play the test matches ? I think it will help him to prolong his career for another few years while India build up a younger test side. If not retire from ODIs then he needs to sit out of the few and play only 60-70% of the games. We all remember him for his glorious career and I hope whenever he decides to wave good bye its on his terms and that he goes on a high. Lets see what ICFers want Sachin to do...

I think he is just going through a little bad spell, but he is a great of the game and will bounce back. I would also like to see what his average in run chases is over the last year (rather than last 3), because he has delivered in quite a few high pressure run chases over the past year. I think its more to do with the fact that India keep changing their opening pair. Last year they stuck to Dada/Sachin all the way through and they made many solid opening stands. Also, when Sehwag and Sachin were the regular opening pair (a few years back), they were both in good form and consistently making strong opening stands. Now they are constantly changing. I think we just need to stick to the same opening pair for a little while.

Guest HariSampath

My thinking is as follows : Sachin is certainly good in ODIs for minimum two more seasons and should play all he wants. Yes , he is poor to average when chasing 250+ and has been particularly so last few seasons, but still he is good enough. Sachin should be subject to the same considerations of team, balance, and form, as were other players like Sehwag, Ganguly and Dravid, being Sachin is no insurance for a test place or an ODI place, he has to earn it by performances.. My personal feeling on selection is that when the folks who sit down to select, they dont automatically put down any name. First the team combination for winning that game is determined and the best 11 players for that game/purpose is chosen, and if based on his form and a string of failures in ODIs, Sachin doesn't get to play in the 11, so be it....he has to await his next turn in the 11, and someone else in form given a chance. Overall, of course he would certainly be good for ODIs 2 seasons and tests too.

Yes, there is still no strong replacement option for Tendulkar. (even replacement options for Ganguly and Dravid are still not established). So, SRT needs to be in the squad, and then captain needs to choose the best 11 out of the squad. Thats the best we can do now. Hopefully, the youngsters learn the skills and tips from SRT off the field during nets etc.

what about having 2 seniors (SG , RD or SRT) in the squad with just 1 playing in the game, rotating them will result with experience as well as youth in the side. This way these seniors don't play every game but are there for the ones that are really important or if the youngsters keep failing. Like in present case , they could have dropped SRT to play dravid or play SG against all important game against SL ? RD would have been handy in the Adelaide ODI.

I think he is just going through a little bad spell, but he is a great of the game and will bounce back. I would also like to see what his average in run chases is over the last year (rather than last 3), because he has delivered in quite a few high pressure run chases over the past year. I think its more to do with the fact that India keep changing their opening pair. Last year they stuck to Dada/Sachin all the way through and they made many solid opening stands. Also, when Sehwag and Sachin were the regular opening pair (a few years back), they were both in good form and consistently making strong opening stands. Now they are constantly changing. I think we just need to stick to the same opening pair for a little while.
Bharat, I hope that you accept now that Sachin is tired! He is playing non-stop cricket since last june, apart from just 3 week's break during that T20 WC, It'd have been better both for India and Sachin had he withdrawn from this ODI series. He would have come out fresh against SA in the test series. Now I fear that he might be too worn out even fotr that series.