Criterion Channel

zen

On 7/22/2019 at 1:19 AM, Vijy said:

Rewatched Sam Fuller's "Shock Corridor" again. Very powerful and intense movie.

I watched this one y'day but had to FF some of the mental hospital sequences as they were not interesting enough .... Noticed that Criterion has added a few Melville films!

On 9/17/2019 at 8:45 AM, zen said:

I watched this one y'day but had to FF some of the mental hospital sequences as they were not interesting enough .... Noticed that Criterion has added a few Melville films!

yes, epitome of coolness.

I am waiting for 1984 to hit the channel:

^ They have changed the color palette by using the silver-tint process .... Deakins was involved w/ the project as well .... looks terrific! 

PS got its blu-ray 

Edited by zen

Raj Kapoor's 3 films are showcased on Criterion. Awaara, Shree 420 and Sangam (his first color film). 

Watched Sangam (after a long long time). Brilliant work by the great showman! Highlight is the acting by all 3 key players esp. in the final act. Will try to catch the other two later (watched them relatively recently - may bel like 2-3 or so years ago iirc)

Edited by zen

On 12/2/2021 at 7:37 AM, zen said:

Will attempt to reconnect with Ingmar Bergman films … 

I watched about 30 of them recently. made me simultaneously happy and depressed. one of the ATG filmmakers, but seeing 30 of them in too short a timescale can be a real downer.

On 12/4/2021 at 6:21 PM, Vijy said:

I watched about 30 of them recently. made me simultaneously happy and depressed. one of the ATG filmmakers, but seeing 30 of them in too short a timescale can be a real downer.

I watched 3 so far -> Persona, The 7th Seal, and the Magician. Persona held up well, in fact I probably liked it more this time. The other two went down a bit relative to the impression that I had when I watched those years ago. 

On 12/6/2021 at 10:24 AM, zen said:

I watched 3 so far -> Persona, The 7th Seal, and the Magician. Persona held up well, in fact I probably liked it more this time. The other two went down a bit relative to the impression that I had when I watched those years ago. 

7th Seal is a bit overrated - still a great film, but it is not in my top 5 bergman movies. others like Wild Strawberries, Scenes from a Marriage, Cries and Whispers, Autumn Sonata, and the ATG Persona are better in my book. Some of his less known films like The Silence, Summer with Monika, Smiles of a summer Night, etc. are all excellent too

Film Noir in Color on the channel includes Leave Her to Heaven (1945) … There are also films like Inferno (1953) and A Kiss Before Dying (1956) … There is Desert Fury (1947) as well which is ok (or nothing special as a film) but a great example of the use of technicolor