Alfie bids farewell with 131

Donny

In his last match for WA, and on home turf at the WACA ground, Justin Langer has scored a stirring century. alfie4.jpg Dan Marsh surprised by asking the Warriors to bat first - a decision which had the visitors very much on the back foot, at 1/215, but Luke Butterworth brought Tasmania back into the contest with 3/48. Now 9/364. Luke Ronchi 54* Langer 131. Shaun Marsh 63. Luke Pomersbach 58. Tim McDonald 3/39. Ben Hilfenhaus 2/79. After his bold statement, this week - “I’ve always been on the plane to the West Indies from my point of view” - Stuart MacGill backed it up with early wickets for NSW against South Australia in the Pura Cup match which started today at the SCG. Brought on after just 10 overs, MacGilla struck with his first ball. Daniel Harris cut him straight to Dom Thornely at point. He quickly took his second and after 6 overs, had 2/7. In his second spell, he took two wickets in one over to have SA in big trouble. He finished with 5/49. SA all out 128. NSW 4/76. Dan Cullen 3/9. NSW lost 4/4 in 4 overs including a golden duck for the comp's leading run scorer, Simon Katich.

Good tenacious player. Never fun to watch, specially as an opposition fan, but would get the job done. It was funny/fantastic and yet tragic at times(I speak as an Indian) to see him get beaten ever so often in the initial part of the match only for him to rough the ride and take Australia onto a good strong position. My lasting memory of Langer would be two: 1) His partnership with Gilchrist against Pakistan when Aussies were 5 down for very few. I beleive the two added 360 odd runs and took Australia to victory. That this came against a solid Pakistani attack(Wasim, Waqar, Saqlain etc) makes it even more credible. 2) His penchant for hitting sixes. He was a very slow batsman but when the mood struck him he would hit some real lusty blows. In this sense he was similar to Indian Ravi Shastri.