Who will be your 4, 5, 6 & 7 moving forward?

15 hours ago, SecondSlip said:

My Middle Order: 

Shubman Gill at #4 

Shreyas Iyer at #5 

Rishabh Pant (WK) at #6 

Hardik Pandya at #7 

What will be your middle order fellow ICFers? 

I want to see Pant opening. I don't feel he has yet the game to play in the middle order.

Hence, my 4-7 is: Kohli (at 4), Iyer at 5, Jadud at 6, Pandya at 7.

Edited by Vijy
2 hours ago, express bowling said:

After the SF, Jadeja is bound to get a few chances at 7 or 8.   I prefer 7.

The 6th bowler would be Pandya, who is more of a batsman than a bowler.  I want him to bat at 6. 

I reckon that Jaddu doesn't have the power game at 7. IMO a player improves their batting through their capacity to play long innings. We may giggle all we want, but Jaddu has scored triples and several 100s whereas Pandu struggles to score 100s at FC or int'l level even when he has enough overs. Hence, although it's an experiment, I'd rather see Jaddu give a run at 6 (or even 5).

Edited by Vijy

My lineup will be

4 Kohli

5 Abhishek Sharma (left hand bat, bowl's left arm spin)

6 Pandya

7 Kishan/dube(somehow feel we will here a lot about this kid in the future)

I see 

The top 3 in 

Shaw

Pant 

Gill

I genuinely feel pant will be more dangerous as opener

4) Shaw

5) Gill

6) Pant

7) Pandya.

Shaw and Gill can later move up once Dhawan etc can retire. They have to earn their position by scoring at whatever positions they are alloted. Ganguly, Sehwag all batted at middle order before opening.

Iyer can also come in if one of Shaw or Gill play poorly at 4 or 5.

Edited by vijay50
2 hours ago, vayuu1 said:

My lineup will be

4 Kohli

5 Abhishek Sharma (left hand bat, bowl's left arm spin)

6 Pandya

7 Kishan/dube(somehow feel we will here a lot about this kid in the future)

I see 

The top 3 in 

Shaw

Pant 

Gill

I genuinely feel pant will be more dangerous as opener

too early for abhishek I think. needs to play more domestic and A cricket before making a call on him. He seems more suited for 6 like a raina role.

7 hours ago, Vijy said:

too early for abhishek I think. needs to play more domestic and A cricket before making a call on him. He seems more suited for 6 like a raina role.

I know  but I feel this kid is more like yuvraj than, Raina, the little I have seen of him suggests that this kid has good technique and power plus looks solid technique wise and good against pace especially short ball, which is the main bane of Raina, this kid is a gun fielder too, don't forget, he is 18 now so by 2023 he will be 22 he can easily give you 3 may be 4 wc  appearance,other guy I would like to see in the Indian setup is manjot  kalra, the kid who scored 100 in u19 final 

5 minutes ago, vayuu1 said:

I know  but I feel this kid is more like yuvraj than, Raina, the little I have seen of him suggests that this kid has good technique and power plus looks solid technique wise and good against pace especially short ball, which is the main bane of Raina, this kid is a gun fielder too, don't forget, he is 18 now so by 2023 he will be 22 he can easily give you 3 may be 4 wc  appearance,other guy I would like to see in the Indian setup is manjot  kalra, the kid who scored 100 in u19 final 

kalra was very elegant to watch and showed good temperament. I think he is currently suspended/sanctioned for age-related stuff.

Funny thing is the name of abhishek sharma being raised.This is a 18yr old boy with 13 List A games behind him.

Massive batting average of 16 and even more hilarious bowling average of 75.If it was reverse you would have a point.But of course he 'looked good' in ipl.Pakistani logic.

Another is nitish rana with 38 avergae from 40 odd matches at 82 SR.

Meanwhile no one talks of

Vihari - 48 average from 70 matches at 83 SR.

Edited by Tendulkar1996
14 minutes ago, Tendulkar1996 said:

Funny thing is the name of abhishek sharma being raised.This is a 18yr old boy with 13 List A games behind him.

Massive batting average of 16 and even more hilarious bowling average of 75.If it was reverse you would have a point.But of course he 'looked good' in ipl.Pakistani logic.

I for one don't think Abhishek or Rana should be in the team in the short run. With that said, Vihari (and I am a fan of him for Tests) does not have the type of ODI game required in this era. He would have been perfect in 90s and early 00s era as a middle-order consolidator who could bowl to some extent. These days what matters more than avg is SR although a minimum cutoff for the former is still reqd (avg of around 40). If you look at Eng team, apart from Root and Bairstow, none avg > 45 but all score at a good SR. What we should be looking for are domestic players with an avg of > 40 and a SR ideally of > 85-90. I have a feeling Vihari will prove to be too much of a tuk-tuker in ODIs. Would rather see Iyer or Gill ahead of Vihari. Iyer may look ugly but he has found ways to score runs. Another possibility is to move an opener to middle order such as Mayank, Shaw, Gaekwad, etc. all of whom have very good avgs or SRs (or both).

11 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I for one don't think Abhishek or Rana should be in the team in the short run. With that said, Vihari (and I am a fan of him for Tests) does not have the type of ODI game required in this era. He would have been perfect in 90s and early 00s era as a middle-order consolidator who could bowl to some extent. These days what matters more than avg is SR although a minimum cutoff for the former is still reqd (avg of around 40). If you look at Eng team, apart from Root and Bairstow, none avg > 45 but all score at a good SR. What we should be looking for are domestic players with an avg of > 40 and a SR ideally of > 85-90. I have a feeling Vihari will prove to be too much of a tuk-tuker in ODIs. Would rather see Iyer or Gill ahead of Vihari. Iyer may look ugly but he has found ways to score runs. Another possibility is to move an opener to middle order such as Mayank, Shaw, Gaekwad, etc. all of whom have very good avgs or SRs (or both).

Absolutely Vihari is a defensive batsman more likely.  Let him play tests as of now. Currently Abhishek Sharma & Nitish Rana r the only left handed guys who can bowl part time left arm spin & bat at higher strike rate.  Rana is only 24 I think so he must be given a go in T20s first. 

18 minutes ago, Vijy said:

I was talking of vihari at 5.Vihari actually of late has developed a better power game.

At 4 will be gill or iyer.You can maybe play iyer at 5 and gill at 4 with pant and pandya to follow.But problem is vihari is a handy offspinner,and you need one of top 5 to bowl spin in next world cup as 6th bowler.

6 minutes ago, Tendulkar1996 said:

I was talking of vihari at 5.Vihari actually of late has developed a better power game.

At 4 will be gill or iyer.You can maybe play iyer at 5 and gill at 4 with pant and pandya to follow.But problem is vihari is a handy offspinner,and you need one of top 5 to bowl spin in next world cup as 6th bowler.

best solution IMO is to have pant opening. he is not a middle-order batsman and he also lacks the tactical nous required of a lower-middle-order batsman as of now (may develop it later). thus, he will be like gilly - open in ODIs and slide to middle order in tests. By having pant open, this leaves 4 and 5 open as before. this can be occupied by 2 of the following 3: Mayank, Iyer, Gill

at 6, I would have pandya. at 7, I would play a player who can score fast from the get go and bowl 5-6 overs per match. this will give the 6 bowling options - Nos. 6-11.

15 minutes ago, Lone Wolf said:

Absolutely Vihari is a defensive batsman more likely.  Let him play tests as of now. Currently Abhishek Sharma & Nitish Rana r the only left handed guys who can bowl part time left arm spin & bat at higher strike rate.  Rana is only 24 I think so he must be given a go in T20s first. 

Rana is too much block-block-bang. his strike rotation is not very strong which is why his List A SR is quite low. I would rather see Iyer, Mayank and Gill ahead of him in the middle order. it's true he offers a bowling option but the best solution in my mind is to play all-rounders & bowlers from 6 to 11 (6 options in all) and have pant open.

5 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Rana is too much block-block-bang. his strike rotation is not very strong which is why his List A SR is quite low. I would rather see Iyer, Mayank and Gill ahead of him in the middle order. it's true he offers a bowling option but the best solution in my mind is to play all-rounders & bowlers from 6 to 11 (6 options in all) and have pant open.

I think his lower S/R in domestics shows it is not easy for stroke makers to bat in Kotla.  He should at least play in T20 cricket at first.  He has played some great impactful knocks in IPl & will be certain upgrade over guys like Jadhav Shankar. Pant can be great choice as opener in T20 format.  Two back to back T20 WC's r coming up so we need dynamic players to stand a chance.  

12 minutes ago, Vijy said:

Nitish Rana can rotate strike. His issue is against genuine pace bowlers and short balls. Looks very ungainly.

Even pant has bad list A record, but that doesn't mean he should be discarded problem is not with vihari, the thing is when you pick team, focus should be to pick a team that can represent you for good 12-15 yrs

Sent from my vivo 1601 using Tapatalk

4 to 7...

Iyer, Hardik, Pant, Jadeja

Pandey at 4, Krunal at 7 being backup options

Gives us 6 bowling options, and Hardik high enough to be able to bat a long innings, really impacts our scoring rate. He is good enough to do it, give him responsibility now and see how he fares. Jadeja deserves a long run after his knock, see if he is good enough to come in at 7

Edited by Sooda
3 hours ago, Lone Wolf said:

I think his lower S/R in domestics shows it is not easy for stroke makers to bat in Kotla.  He should at least play in T20 cricket at first.  He has played some great impactful knocks in IPl & will be certain upgrade over guys like Jadhav Shankar. Pant can be great choice as opener in T20 format.  Two back to back T20 WC's r coming up so we need dynamic players to stand a chance.  

Both Rana and Surya Kumar Yadav should be in T20I squad from now on