The Ashes (2019)

21 minutes ago, Kronadler said:

I know Smith and Warner paid for it with year long bans. What about Root! Claiming catches he never took.

there's still a big diff between that and systemic ball tampering condoned and encouraged by capn and vice-capn. clarke also claimed catches that were not clean (e.g. sydney 2008) but he was no ball tamperer as far as one knows. I believe oz selectors made the right decision to go with someone who has a "nice guy" clean persona, but they erred in choosing paine. someone more established in the team would have been better. like head (who is a state captain) or khawaja.

(edit: I meant clarke, not ponting. corrected it now)

Edited by Vijy
1 minute ago, Nikola said:

It's draw. Good test match.

yes, nice tight match. root should have declared around 5-10 overs early. we might have seen a result, but I think cummins would have held on. loss of 2 days due to rain was the primary stumbling block.

4 minutes ago, Vijy said:

there's still a big diff between that and systemic ball tampering condoned and encouraged by capn and vice-capn. punter also claimed catches that were not clean (e.g. sydney 2008) but he was no ball tamperer as far as one knows. I believe oz selectors made the right decision to go with someone who has a "nice guy" clean persona, but they erred in choosing paine. someone more established in the team would have been better. like head (who is a state captain) or khawaja.

Not condoning the actions of both. But they have already paid for that. Need to move on from the boos and bitterness. Smith is an all time great already. They might as well give the captaincy to Lab. He has showed character subbing for Smith. 

Just now, Kronadler said:

Not condoning the actions of both. But they have already paid for that. Need to move on from the boos and bitterness. Smith is an all time great already. They might as well give the captaincy to Lab. He has showed character subbing for Smith. 

Well, I reckon that Smith the greatest test batsman of his generation and on his way to one of the greatest of all time. 

my original post was mostly to explain why paine was selected because of his "nice guy" image. I believe it was to pacify the oz public who were naturally upset after sandpapergate. it's time to give the captaincy to head, not lamb. head is batting quite decently, he has experience at diff levels (U19, state)

12 minutes ago, Vijy said:

my original post was mostly to explain why paine was selected because of his "nice guy" image. I believe it was to pacify the oz public who were naturally upset after sandpapergate. it's time to give the captaincy to head, not lamb. head is batting quite decently, he has experience at diff levels (U19, state)

If Lab can pull off a few consistent performances, he'll make a compelling case for captaincy. Head played some pretty reckless shots today and I see fickleness/weirdness in his approach.

3 hours ago, Kronadler said:

Look, he may have pace. But its not like you cannot negotiate it. This clown line up is purely hyping this guy up.

Dude he gets bounce from good length without effort. This is what batsmen are finding difficult. the ball just kicks up not allowing batsmen to go completely back. If you have seen the balls which hit you would have realized. It is almost impossible to judge the length and go completely back.or pull

Just now, New guy said:

Dude he gets bounce from good length without effort. This is what batsmen are finding difficult. the ball just kicks up not allowing batsmen to go completely back. If you have seen the balls which hit you would have realized. It is almost impossible to judge the length and go completely back.or pull

Like every other bowler on the planet, he will get found out soon. Until then the hype train will keep milking it.

2 hours ago, Kronadler said:

Unbelievable, Aussie openers have gotten so bad. Last time I recall such a predicament was when Wood and Darling took the crease. Sigh.

People on here won't have a clue who they are but at least Warner and Bancroft can at least run together if they do score a run . 

Harris and Starc should probably be brought in at Headingley. Not sure who should be dropped for Starc, maybe Siddle? Harris should probably replace Bancroft. I think Warner is too good of a batsmen to keep playing like this, he will surely come good in the next test or two. 

Labuschagne was also decent and provides an additional bowling option. Maybe he can replace Wade (assuming Smith is cleared to play)?

On England's side, Archer had a great debut and Stokes played a decent innings. Burns still looks like their most reliable batsman. 

Edited by JourneyMan
45 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

People on here won't have a clue who they are but at least Warner and Bancroft can at least run together if they do score a run . 

The only running they have been doing is towards the dressing room in a hurry. Time flat track bully Warner and weakling Bancroft get dropped.

Edited by Kronadler