SRT recommended MSD for captaincy

fineleg

No doubt SRT had recommended Dhoni and now Dhoni is repaying his gratitude by getting rid of 2 of the "big 3" from ODIs , and surely next in line will be getting rid of both of them in tests LOL. SRT probably feels those 2 have cashed in on his own form far too long :D ( btw someone declared when Sachin was 190, right ? )
Its too early to decide that MSD is repaying SRT's gratitude. MSD has a long long way to go to become consistent and matured enough. There are so many challenges ahead of him and he has to prove his abilities as a captain, as a team-binder, as a real great player as recommended by SRT.
RD n SG are Good TESTIES but fit for nothing slowies when it comes to one day cricket. SRT is a great tactician Remember he was the one who wanted pathan to be promoted to no 3 and numerous others
SRT has always been a tactician, lest he wouldn't have lasted for so long. Regarding No.3 spot, its really a very sensitive and important spot. Pathan been promoted was a time-being move, but in long run we need an experienced player, GG may be given some time to get established at that spot.
Where and when ??? :omg: wish you had told me, I would have loved to see Dravid shift gear any day ! The one I saw in Oz was playing out session after session in a tortured manner, and tortured most Indian fans too, the only ball he tried to hit in the series, he got out slogging on 91 in Perth. I think his days are getting over and he wont be able to play with gay abandon as you say. He may yet play a couple of good inngs, but the point is he too instinctively knows that all it takes is 4-5 test failures and selectors will be taking a hard look at his place. This puts additional pressure on him, as he knows players like Gambhir, Rohit, Yuvraj, Badrinath et al are all eyeing one spot in the test lineup, and although Dravid knows he is safe for the moment, who knows what 3-4 test failures more can do ? And after another series, if selectors feel that Kumble has had enough and Dhoni is formally given the test team, I dont think Dhoni is a captain who will tolerate too many failures, as he has his own plans and vision for Indian cricket and if that means getting rid of Dravid, Ganguly and even Kumble, Dhoni will do it with a smile.
Agreed, MSD to be given test captaincy would be unwise and a move in haste. No doubt, he has his own plans and vision but his plans and vision is not so far-sighted to suit test cricket. ODI and T20 need spontaneous moves and decisions, but test cricket needs some good planning, patience, nerves of steel and far-sightedness. MSD will smile and take some decisions on his own, they may cost us a lot!
Guest HariSampath

A small note on SRT and Dhoni. I am of the opinion that SRT assumed Dhoni will be given test captaincy when Sachin had declined it. Even in near future I think Sachin will back Dhoni strongly for the job, which means unless ganguly and Dravid pull themselves together and get big scores, they could be playing their last 1-2 series in tests too.

Guest HariSampath

Although Kumble is still gonna be captain now, maybe after 1-2 series, test captaincy may be handed to Dhoni. Particularly if Kumble doesnt do as well in bowling. But Anil is such a competitive cricketer and bowler, he will keep performing well enough to play as a bowler at least after 1-2 series more even if Dhoni gets captaincy. The key is if Kumble is not captain, there may not be even a single voice for Dravid's sake.

Wow, I am truly impressed. You need someone unquestionably selfless to do what Sachin did. Not only did he refuse captaincy and recommended a younger player, he also voluntarily chose to stay away from the 20/20 game. That takes a lot of class. And could there be a more glowing accolade for Dhoni, than being recommended by Sachin himself for the post ? I hope, atleast from here on, people stop calling him arrogant and cocky. I see a bright future for Indian cricket under Dhoni's captaincy and the new pace attack.

Sachin, as always, acted with class, and his greatness is only exemplified when people later discover what selflessness he displayed for the good of the team's present and future. Great men never glorify themselves, nor take credit for the great deeds that they do. Sachin is one of them. Hats off to you, Sir. :hatsoff:

this selfish SRT just wants to keep on hogging the "limelight" retire already u old man :P
naah! Would you call Don Bradman as hogging the limelight since everytime there's a talk of the best batsmen his name comes up without fail? Its just that limelight follows those who deserve it. And it wasn't SRT who said, "hey limey, come and get hogged"!
naah! Would you call Don Bradman as hogging the limelight since everytime there's a talk of the best batsmen his name comes up without fail? Its just that limelight follows those who deserve it. And it wasn't SRT who said, "hey limey, come and get hogged"!
i dont care watever u say i am hell bent on proving sachin is selfish :P and u cant change it :finger::finger: :eyedance::eyedance::eyedance:
Looking at situation at that point, Dhoni (or Yuvi) was probably best person to lead the team. But I respect Sachin for opting out of twenty20 WC. He knows length of his chaddi. He knew he didn't fit twenty20 games and opted out.
:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical: HOW CAN U BE SO sure he doesnt wear a lungi?:cantstop:
Looking at situation at that point, Dhoni (or Yuvi) was probably best person to lead the team. But I respect Sachin for opting out of twenty20 WC. He knows length of his chaddi. He knew he didn't fit twenty20 games and opted out.
He'll fit better in T20 than most youngsters though