Sehwag's triple hundred at Chennai vs SA :Veeru Creates History!!

Viru can earn 2 bats tomorrow: Kumble This day been a pretty amazing day, and it's been really, really wonderful to sit here and watch Sehwag go about his batting. For sheer willpower and focus under some really difficult conditions given the heat and the sapping humidity, it's been a very special batting effort. It is just not easy to keep your concentration going the whole day and he's done it with style, going at over a run a ball for his unbeaten triple. He smashed everyone everywhere and when he's playing like this, it's really something. A word on the wicket: It's not like a typical Chennai wicket. Invariably, you get a bit more bounce and pace here, but maybe all the rain that we've had in the lead up to this Test match made it this way. It's also slower than normal, taking less spin. Still, when we bowled, we bowled pretty well I think in those conditions to keep coming back. In any case, it's never easy to bowl in Chennai. If we bat till tea tomorrow, we are in a great position. And then we'll be looking to put the South Africans under pressure tomorrow, their tail is pretty long without some of their allrounders and if we get two or three top wickets they'll be under serious pressure. That's what we're aiming to do, but let's see how it goes. Coming back to Sehwag, this has really been his day. His stands with Wasim and Rahul have put us in a very commanding position. I'm actually waiting for him to break the biggest batting record there is at the moment, Brian Lara's 400. It's a great opportunity to get Test cricket's highest score, and he knows he can't really get a better opportunity too do it. We have some special records, but it would be absolutely great to see an Indian on top of that list as well. I'm glad Sehwag's back to doing what he does so well. Whenever he's played and got a start, he puts the team in such a great position, not just because he gets his runs so quickly, but also because by getting them the way he does, he puts the opposition on the backfoot. I'm really happy after backing him for the Australia series. I'm also really happy for him, the way he's come back to the Test squad after a year. He showed a lot of character in Adelaide, even if he was a bit subdued, under the circumstances of his return. Here again, there was tremendous character on display. It was a chanceless innings under extreme conditions, to go on and on, showed a different side to him. He wanted a bat from me by the way if he scored a double, why, I don't know! So today, I told him, you get your 400, I'll give you two. I gladly will. http://www.hindustantimes.com/StoryPage/StoryPage.aspx?id=f9f20d6d-8684-4a17-b06f-2715dd2bf21e&ParentID=cb5a04eb-3cad-486b-8586-138a3ff16527&MatchID1=4678&TeamID1=6&TeamID2=3&MatchType1=1&SeriesID1=1179&PrimaryID=4678&Headline=I%e2%80%99m+waiting+for+Viru+to+break+Lara%e2%80%99s+record

I'm really happy after backing him for the Australia series. I'm also really happy for him, the way he's come back to the Test squad after a year. He showed a lot of character in
Not true. Had Kumble had had the courage to back Sehwag at the MCG and Sydney, India would not have lost that series. When a chap has scored 300, everybody will rush to claim ownership, but the fact is that everybody, and by that I mean, everybody, turned against Viru, when he was chucked out of the Test team, bombed in a few one- dayers, and came a cropper in domestic cricket. Even I changed my signature to "Goodbye Sehwag", although I didn't have the heart to write stuff criticising him. I truly thought his career was over, that he'd lost it. But obviously the only person that never lost faith was Sehwag himself. No other batsman in the world would have survived at Adelaide on that last day and scored 150 against that Australian attack. No other batsman could have done what he did today. Us ordinary mortals can't quite understand the way he thinks. You can analyse, dissect until you go blue in the face, but you can't understand the way he thinks. Can you figure out the way Bill Gates or Warren Buffet think? That's why I think nobody knows what he's going to do over the next 5 years. He might end up as the greatest batsman to have ever played the game, or he might go into another form slump and be dropped- both are possible. One think is for certain though- after watching him bat, it's a bit like reading a Fortune update on Mahindra & Mahindra....the fortnight after they have run a special on General Motors...at various points in history, one of those companies might be in decline, have a pensions crisis, and struggling to sell their cars, but will still remain infinitely more interesting, memorable and celebrated than the other.
That's what we're aiming to do, but let's see how it goes. Coming back to Sehwag, this has really been his day. His stands with Wasim and Rahul have put us in a very commanding position. I'm actually waiting for him to break the biggest batting record there is at the moment, Brian Lara's 400.
In a totally un-related aspect to the post, I was just wondering how the seniors and the juniors mention the peers differently. Kumble/Dravid/SRT/Ganguly/VVS will ALWAYS refer the junior(or seniors for that matter) with their first name. Dhoni/Irfan/Bhajji/Yuvraj etc will ALWAYS refer the seniors as Sachin bhai etc etc. I dont think I have ever seen Sachin say, "Rohit bhai played very well". Maybe in Indian team(possibly Pakistan as well) bhai = elder brother and != brother itself.
Not true. Had Kumble had had the courage to back Sehwag at the MCG and Sydney, India would not have lost that series. When a chap has scored 300, everybody will rush to claim ownership, but the fact is that everybody, and by that I mean, everybody, turned against Viru, when he was chucked out of the Test team, bombed in a few one- dayers, and came a cropper in domestic cricket. Even I changed my signature to "Goodbye Sehwag", although I didn't have the heart to write stuff criticising him. I truly thought his career was over, that he'd lost it. But obviously the only person that never lost faith was Sehwag himself. No other batsman in the world would have survived at Adelaide on that last day and scored 150 against that Australian attack. No other batsman could have done what he did today. Us ordinary mortals can't quite understand the way he thinks. You can analyse, dissect until you go blue in the face, but you can't understand the way he thinks. Can you figure out the way Bill Gates or Warren Buffet think? That's why I think nobody knows what he's going to do over the next 5 years. He might end up as the greatest batsman to have ever played the game, or he might go into another form slump and be dropped- both are possible. One think is for certain though- after watching him bat, it's a bit like reading a Fortune update on Mahindra & Mahindra....the fortnight after they have run a special on General Motors...at various points in history, one of those companies might be in decline, have a pensions crisis, and struggling to sell their cars, but will still remain infinitely more interesting, memorable and celebrated than the other.
Kumble had him in the team when he was not even in the probables, Yuvraj making 165 in banglore made it tough , if yuvraj was dropped from first test then there would be big fuss since viru was not even in good form in domestic cricket, so you can t really fault selectors or kumble on that,Dravid backed him to hilt when he was captain. But it so refreshing to see the Honesty and Humility in Viru after day's play.

I can understand why Viru was dropped, I can also understand why he was brought back despite being in mediocre form in FC cricket. Most importantly, I also understand that, it was because he was dropped that he has come up 'Adelaide 155' and 'Madras 300+'. There were genuine justifiable reasons for why he was dropped in the first place and there is also simple enough evidence to show that, it was BECAUSE of the fact that he was dropped, Viru has been able to summon such levels of commitment and motivation since his comeback. I dont think its fair to say ' He should have never been dropped in the first place, he would have done lots more had been in the team and somehow rediscovered his form'. Who knows, he might have degenerated even further, to the point where it was too late. Viru needed a stark reminder of what it feels like, to miss playing for the national team, to represent one's own country in the international stage, and he got it. Lets all be glad he has come back the way he has. I dont think its time the time to point fingers.

In a totally un-related aspect to the post, I was just wondering how the seniors and the juniors mention the peers differently. Kumble/Dravid/SRT/Ganguly/VVS will ALWAYS refer the junior(or seniors for that matter) with their first name. Dhoni/Irfan/Bhajji/Yuvraj etc will ALWAYS refer the seniors as Sachin bhai etc etc. I dont think I have ever seen Sachin say, "Rohit bhai played very well". Maybe in Indian team(possibly Pakistan as well) bhai = elder brother and != brother itself.
So what's the point ? That's how we are brought up ..respect to elders..its deeply in-grained in our languages.

I don't think Sehwag will ever get his due recognition, because of the way he plays his cricket. He is just too cavalier, almost uncaring the way he appears at the crease. When he is scoring heavily, this attitude of his will be celebrated as "untroubled", yet when he starts failing, people will invariably come out with theories such as "he doesn't care", "he's earned way too much money to be bothered" and so on. It is also seen as somewhat less trendy to declare a guy who can't speak chaste English, is bald and slightly podgy, as a living legend ahead of the likes of Pietersen, Hayden or Sangakkara, who are much more posh, come across as suave and confident and generate excellent soundbites. Similarly, old timers will sing the eulogies of Viv, Gavaskar or Greg Chappell, and sneer when Sehwag's name is uttered in the same breath as these players'. It is fashionable, you see to praise Pietersen' innings as classic and bold, but you might be seen as a rustic if you go ga-ga over Sehwag's destructive knocks. Surely, a guy who averages 28 in SA can't be that great? Surely, the 54 he averages in Australia must be a fluke or mitigated by the depleted sides he played against? If you were an English scribe, would you have the courage to put this man ahead of Pietersen or Hayden? Imagine the derisory catcalls that would draw from your readers? When he retires, whatever his achievements, he'll be forgotten in a year or two, dismissed as a slightly eccentric guy who scored triple and double tons, and very little in between. People will speak fondly of the the Gavaskars and Vishwanaths, and Sehwag will just be a footnote in history. And I will give up watching cricket. It will all be so bland in his wake.