Apropos of nothing - the "us" vs. "them" mentality

BacktoCricaddict

27 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

The US vs THEM mentality saw humanity through their most creative, inventive periods. But no, a fancy theory from the pseudoscience that's psychology would now deign to tell us how mistaken we were about it all.

It works to foster fair competition to deliver better products and services, but is not a good thing when it is used as a basis for religious persecution or in the pursuit of hegemony.  

2 minutes ago, sarchasm said:

Laughable, pitiable utilitarian logic.

Not sure how this is utilitarian.  For fair business competition, the US vs THEM mentality works within a certain moral / ethical framework that everyone signs on to.  For religious persecution and hegemonical pursuits, there is no moral code or ethical framework - it is just a brutal show of power and ruthlessness, with no regard for death and destruction.  If anything, I my approach is the opposite of an end-justifies-the-means utilitarian approach.  

Growing up, history taught us about Alexander the Great.  His conquests were taught as being legendary and courageous.  Well, eff it.  It does not take courage to conquer and invade.  It takes courage to resist a savage like Alexander.  Alexander was not courageous.  Rather, someone like Paurava was truly courageous.

We were also taught that, when Paurava stood up to Alexander,  he (Alexander) so "generously made Paurava a commander in that region."  After slaughtering >30,000 people, of course.  What a nice guy. 

Older and wiser, I now see Alexander as a savage, someone who simply slaughtered people to expand his kingdom's footprint and influence.  He was as villainous as Ghazni, Ghori,and Genghis ... and RRC.  As for his "courage" and "generosity", Alex can take it and shove it in his backside.  

https://www.warhistoryonline.com/war-articles/hydaspes.html

Edited by BacktoCricaddict

On 8/8/2020 at 9:10 PM, BacktoCricaddict said:

Agree with regard to sports rivalries - they are harmless expressions of social identity for entertainment purposes only.   But when we start territorializing everything, creating in-groups and out-groups, stereotyping and even hating people based on our perceptions of whether they are in-our-group or out-our-group, then it becomes a bane.   

The cartoon encapsulates how the same actions are perceived differently based on whether they are performed by people within your in-group or people from the outside.  For example, Chola conquests are matters of pride - "wow he expanded my country's footprint" while Ghaznavi conquests are to be condemned - "what a savage."  Ironically, Marathas, who are held up as "our national heroes" plundered Karnataka, my home state and went to war against the Wodeyars.  We don't hate on them like we hate on the Muslim invaders - why?  Because they were "our" despots?  

Borders and boundaries are necessary for administrative efficiency.  But when we use those to condemn what and whom we perceive as "other," it is detrimental to human progress.   

My pride is in my heritage stems from a nation that relishes the idli and the biryani, the mudde and the dal-baati, the carnatic and the sufi, the veshti and the kurta.  And one that allows adaptation and fusion of art and cuisine that come from various places.  Not from one that fights over which one of them is "ours" and which one is "theirs" and why ours is better.  India's pride comes from its amalgamation of cultures, one that is difficult if not impossible to find in any other nation.  Let's glorify it all.  

If you go a bit deeper isn't it something how social system are designed to work, to start off with one's family . Do you think we wish for same punishment for our near and dear ones for same kind of crime in which some other have been jailed. I am also sure when you leave your heritage and wealth  ll be for entire world and not just to your son's and daughters.