Remembering Mal Loye

Does anybody remember Mal Loye the English opener?  

His speciality was sweeping the fast bowlers while opening the Innings. ENGLAND odi side was pretty crap those days and they were looking to pick anyone who could give a boost to the innings. 

Got smacked right on his helmet while sweeping McGrath and Glenn's glorious sarcastic smirk afterwards is still fun to watch. I Guess it was during the time when England Poached Ed Joyce from Ireland and both were opening together. 

Debuted pretty late in his career and provided awesome entertainment. :cheer:Brett lee, Bond, MCgrath.. He spared no one.. 

Such good days of watching cricket. :dance:

Edited by OpeningBatsman
1 minute ago, Cricketics said:

Yeah he played lotnof risky shots. Truing to sweep fast bowlers Remeber he took one on the chin  to Mcgrath. England played a lot of openers dueing this era. They kept changing and chopping with their opening line up with their strugglling ODI side. 

Funny thing is he could actually play the normal way, he just chose not to. I Remember a 40 or 50 odd he scored while playing proper shots and Ian Chappel was impressed. 

6 minutes ago, OpeningBatsman said:

Funny thing is he could actually play the normal way, he just chose not to. I Remember a 40 or 50 odd he scored while playing proper shots and Ian Chappel was impressed. 

Yeah England cricket has always been earlier about your systematic text book cricket shots. He was criticized by English commies too a lot for not looking “text-book”. But he did allow lot of commies to understand that LOI is not just about playing always text book shots. Game has changed massively now with Jos Butler and co now consistently pulling of paddle sweeps and other crazy scoop shots, something players rarely tried earlier. People are finally realzing that some of these players back themselves and pacticw these shots regularly in the nets and not just try once, so they have better chance od hittinf 90mph bowlers now than before. 

Game, hence has even become more harder for bowlers with batsman finding new innovative ways to score runs. 

10 minutes ago, Soorma_Bhopali said:

When you wrote " Remembering" , I thought something bad has happened to him. He was a prolific country player and a good opener. He was a better player of spin compared to his other English contemporaries in test & ODI team of that time.

Sorry for the choice of words. Yes he was exciting ti watch. Unfortunately his shelf life in intnl cricket was short due to age and his playing style. 

Edited by OpeningBatsman