Discussion during Kanpur test vs SA,2008

Key on this pitch New ball should be attacked. Sehwag holds the key, we are one big innings away from victory. Dhoni in their team meeting should just emphasis to play attacking cricket. We will not survive more than 90 overs and we have to attack Prince. We should aim at scoring 360 in 90 overs. No batsman can be set on this pitch. Lets attack new ball

I reckon the first three deliveries of the innings, are the key. If Steyn bowls 3 wides the first 3 balls or Veeru survives a close LBW shout, Saffies are finished. If Jaffer gets out caught behind or LBW, Indians are finished. OTOH, if the first three deliveries never get bowled, the game is finished.

I am just pleased that they managed to bowl SA out for under 500. India also cleaned up the tail very quickly, which is a real positive. Too early to say whether this is a good score or not. I don't think SA would be disappointed with 265 though, since this pitch is bound to get worse as the match goes on. If India can get a 50 run lead, it would be a job well done.

Smith had a Bradmanesque start to his career, especially the monstrous series he had against England. If you do well in England, then you are almost guaranteed to be billed as someone special. He's fallen away a bit, but he is still VERY VERY good.