Can not even sit 5 minutes through the movies but binge watched 5 Hindi web series in few days

randomGuy

My fav RK Narayan book is Swami and Friends though.

Btw any good recommendations for Indian authors? Somehow I've ignored them growing up. Trying to make up for it now.

I liked Amish Tripathi, Shatrujeet Nath and even Ashok Banker (although his stuff gets a little old after some time). I used to like Chetan Bhagat's old books before he became a LeLi

The visual versions of LOTR, Game of Thrones (Except for book 1 which was outstanding) and Hunger Games were better than the books IMO.

LOTR I don't think i've managed to go past 1 chapter. Best cure for insomnia. Like reading a Charles Dickens on steroids.

1 hour ago, bharathh said:

The visual versions of LOTR, Game of Thrones (Except for book 1 which was outstanding) and Hunger Games were better than the books IMO.

LOTR I don't think i've managed to go past 1 chapter. Best cure for insomnia. Like reading a Charles Dickens on steroids.

obviously these things are subjective. However, I found the book versions of LOTR and ASOIAF (A Song of Ice and Fire by Martin) to be much better than the movies/TV series. Hunger Games as a book didn't impress me too much nor did the movie trilogy, so they were roughly on par.

LOTR the book series is not for everyone; same goes for ASOIAF. Hunger Games, Harry Potter, etc. are written for a broader audience

5 hours ago, bharathh said:

Btw any good recommendations for Indian authors? Somehow I've ignored them growing up. Trying to make up for it now.

I liked Amish Tripathi, Shatrujeet Nath and even Ashok Banker (although his stuff gets a little old after some time). I used to like Chetan Bhagat's old books before he became a LeLi

lots of good ones in the vernaculars like premchand, Bibhutibhushan Bandyopadhyay, etc.

In Indian english, some of the good ones are pretty old like narayan, mulk raj anand. most ind eng writing in last few decades is, however, by LeLis.

6 hours ago, bharathh said:

There are many in regional languages. SL Bhyrappa’s Kannada novels are about a wide range of subjects- casteism, music, mythology, etc, he is best at historical fiction that very few proponents in India. His Parva (on Mahabharata) , Sartha and Aavarana (medieval India’s tryst with Islam) are available in English translations.