Best films of all time (2021)

zen

Rebecca is an amalgamation of different ideas and styles of producer Selznick and director Hitchcock (his first film in Hollywood), creating a Gothic classic. Below offers some good insights on the film:

2001: A Space Odyssey 

Finally , saw it, after many tries. A movie beyond its time, looks like Kubrick had a good vision of the future. Technically, so brilliant, modern CGI filled productions pales in comparison. A story woven around genesis, evolution and AI, some of the scenes were eerie. A bit self indulgent in the last 30 mins. I had to read up his explanation. But for the last 30 mins, it holds one’s attention as a sci-fi thriller, a great cinematic experience. The hominids at the beginning, I thought they were chimps and it was funny to see actors dressed as chimpanzees and acting up. But, later read that they were hominids, brilliant imagination 

15 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

2001: A Space Odyssey 

Finally , saw it, after many tries. A movie beyond its time, looks like Kubrick had a good vision of the future. Technically, so brilliant, modern CGI filled productions pales in comparison. A story woven around genesis, evolution and AI, some of the scenes were eerie. A bit self indulgent in the last 30 mins. I had to read up his explanation. But for the last 30 mins, it holds one’s attention as a sci-fi thriller, a great cinematic experience. The hominids at the beginning, I thought they were chimps and it was funny to see actors dressed as chimpanzees and acting up. But, later read that they were hominids, brilliant imagination 

glad you liked it overall. my fav sci-fi film of all time, along with blade runner (1984). yes, last 30 mins are weird... somehow, they are also my most fav parts.

On 7/15/2021 at 10:35 PM, zen said:

Rebecca is an amalgamation of different ideas and styles of producer Selznick and director Hitchcock (his first film in Hollywood), creating a Gothic classic. Below offers some good insights on the film:

book is well worth a read for those who are interested. borrows quite heavily from jane eyre by charlotte bronte.

1 minute ago, Vijy said:

book is well worth a read for those who are interested. borrows quite heavily from jane eyre by charlotte bronte.

I have read the book though don't recall much of it now ... Daphne du Maurier is an interesting author though for Rebecca she faced some plagiarism accusations too if I am not wrong 

15 minutes ago, zen said:

I have read the book though don't recall much of it now ... Daphne du Maurier is an interesting author though for Rebecca she faced some plagiarism accusations too if I am not wrong 

yep, she did have a few allegations here and there (even "The Birds" I think). I have not looked at the matter closely, so I don't know all the details

12 hours ago, Vijy said:

glad you liked it overall. my fav sci-fi film of all time, along with blade runner (1984). yes, last 30 mins are weird... somehow, they are also my most fav parts.

My next project is to revisit David lean’s movies. Saw it when I was younger. Some like Citizen Kane, I didn’t enjoy as much. Need more ‘rasa’ , that I get reading  pure Indian literature or listening to classical raag - like Malkauns 

12 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

My next project is to revisit David lean’s movies. Saw it when I was younger. Some like Citizen Kane, I didn’t enjoy as much. Need more ‘rasa’ , that I get reading  pure Indian literature or listening to classical raag - like Malkauns 

I think the early Lean films from 40s (e.g., Great Expectations) are seriously underrated. Because his career was so diverse - both small- and large-scale movies - I think you will like some of them for sure