Indian T20 Batting Talent Pool after IPL 2023

deepdynamo

6 minutes ago, zen said:

I agree that SDP suffers from hero (or legacy) worshipping too which can cloud his judgment to overestimate a past-the-peak player. This is why I said if Kohli does well in IPL 2024, he will think that Kohli is back in form. The selectors can help SDP out by giving a clear mandate to look past these players. 

As for selections based on current/recent form, I am more into consistent performances over a period of time than just a season. Every season or year would have its top performers. And if a team is only going by current/recent form, it is usually playing a catch-up. As this year's in form players could be out of form the next, and when you go for those players, there could be players in better form the next year. Even in a tournament, if a player does well in the first half, he could fail in the 2nd half, a reason why many teams lose steam as the tournament progresses. 

This is why teams (IPL, national, or whatever) invest in players on a relatively long-term basis. Identify players to do the roles and attitude, back them to provide them with security and confidence, etc., preparing them for a major tournament. Talking about team building, if player A is 7-8/10 on talent and 10/10 on work ethic, attitude, team spirit, etc., and if player B is 10/10 on talent but 7-8/10 on the later, SDP will likely prefer player A to build a well-oiled team. 

Is Hardik good enough to identify talent, back them and build a team?

So far he has given chances to Hooda, Tripathi & Mavi in his brief T20 career as captain. Should he continue to back these players or go for new talent ??
What about players like KL or Shreyas Iyer or Even Pant? Will they be getting same backing from Hardik?

Having too many options is also a problem and if there is no clarity, it is difficult to build a winning team.

It has to be ruthless from SDP.

If he want Gill and Jaiswal as openers there is no place for KL or Rohit in the team.
If he want Gaikwad then no place for Kohli.
If he want Tilak or Rinku or both then no place for S Iyer.
If he want Jitesh, there can be no place for Pant or Samson or Kishan.
If he want Axar as his spin allrounder. No place for Jadeja.

But can he do it? I doubt.
Its easy to back players in franchise cricket. But its entire different case for Team India.

This is a country of hero worshipping and superstars and friends culture.

2 minutes ago, deepdynamo said:

Is Hardik good enough to identify talent, back them and build a team?

So far he has given chances to Hooda, Tripathi & Mavi in his brief T20 career as captain. Should he continue to back these players or go for new talent ??
What about players like KL or Shreyas Iyer or Even Pant? Will they be getting same backing from Hardik?

Having too many options is also a problem and if there is no clarity, it is difficult to build a winning team.

There are many options. The good thing is that he has time to weigh his options. 

I think what will happen is that a core set of 7-8 players will be backed relatively more, with 3-4 spots going to tactical changes, trying different players to create backups, rotations, etc. 

Eventually, we will have a competitive set of 14-15 players from which the 11 would be picked based on form, opposition, and conditions. 

49 minutes ago, deepdynamo said:

It has to be ruthless from SDP.

If he want Gill and Jaiswal as openers there is no place for KL or Rohit in the team.
If he want Gaikwad then no place for Kohli.
If he want Tilak or Rinku or both then no place for S Iyer.
If he want Jitesh, there can be no place for Pant or Samson or Kishan.
If he want Axar as his spin allrounder. No place for Jadeja.

But can he do it? I doubt.
Its easy to back players in franchise cricket. But its entire different case for Team India.

This is a country of hero worshipping and superstars and friends culture.

At this time, Jaiswal, Gill and Rinku are non-negotiable.  Tilak Varma is a notch below Rinku in terms of clutchiness, IMO.  Still not sure about Jitesh.