Sameer Rizvi : X Factor player

nsareen

Not sure how many of you followed UP Premier league. This lad came out tops scoring at an astonishing strike rate. He seems to be the next big thing in UP cricket & probably may reach India National team if luck is with him. Even though the pitches play an important role in T20 cricket, designed for batsmen, however he was a level above the second or third best batsmen on view.. He has a special bat speed, reach & all round player. Now the reason for creating this thread is because he has been demolishing Mens U23 tournament, a cut above the rest in terms of strike rate & i feel he is going to be in the news with his latest performances in the near future, so its best to have a thread on this guy.

A strike rate of 20 over cricket in 50 over cricket!! He had also partnered well in SMAT trophy with Rinku singh & had some good strong partnerships.  I for one will keep an eye on his progress..  Now the aspect about him which i am not comfortable with is his age. On cricinfo his age is mentioned as 19 yrs, however i see an article of 2018 stating him to be 16 yrs back then, accordingly he should be 21 years by now then.. Not sure if its a clerical error in cricinfo since he has played for India U19s too and his age would have been with BCCI long back.. 

https://www.bcci.tv/domestic/270/mens-u23-state-a-trophy:  Strike rate 

Sameer Rizvi UPCA 6 5 370 - 123 74.00 240 154.16 2 1 19 33

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/meerut/16-year-old-meerut-boy-gets-selected-in-u-19-cricket-team/articleshow/65599321.cms

Edited by nsareen
update
38 minutes ago, nsareen said:

Not sure how many of you followed UP Premier league. This lad came out tops scoring at an astonishing strike rate. He seems to be the next big thing in UP cricket & probably may reach India National team if luck is with him. Even though the pitches play an important role in T20 cricket, designed for batsmen, however he was a level above the second or third best batsmen on view.. He has a special bat speed, reach & all round player. Now the reason for creating this thread is because he has been demolishing Mens U23 tournament, a cut above the rest in terms of strike rate & i feel he is going to be in the news with his latest performances in the near future, so its best to have a thread on this guy.

A strike rate of 20 over cricket in 50 over cricket!! He had also partnered well in SMAT trophy with Rinku singh & had some good strong partnerships.  I for one will keep an eye on his progress..  Now the aspect about him which i am not comfortable with is his age. On cricinfo his age is mentioned as 19 yrs, however i see an article of 2018 stating him to be 16 yrs back then, accordingly he should be 21 years by now then.. Not sure if its a clerical error in cricinfo since he has played for India U19s too and his age would have been with BCCI long back.. 

https://www.bcci.tv/domestic/270/mens-u23-state-a-trophy:  Strike rate 

Sameer Rizvi UPCA 6 5 370 - 123 74.00 240 154.16 2 1 19 33

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/meerut/16-year-old-meerut-boy-gets-selected-in-u-19-cricket-team/articleshow/65599321.cms

He is very poor against short ball...I saw him struggling against even 120-125kph short balls and he got hit on his helmet multiple times. 

He is very good against spin & medium pace good length deliveries..also in no way he is 19:phehe:, must be around 21-22.

1 minute ago, singhvivek141 said:

He is very poor against short ball...I saw him struggling against even 120-125kph short balls and he got hit on his helmet multiple times. 

He is very good against spin & medium pace good length deliveries..also in no way he is 19:phehe:, must be around 21-22.

Yes age im not convinced too, however for short ball theory, short sample size,  i did see him play horizontal shots against UP T20 quicks and they are decent. Again will follow him in Vijay hazare if he gets to play. But i would be bold in saying, he has a better hitting range than Shreyas Iyer... 

12 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

I did add some videos of him playing pull & hooks, he does have all the shots, to me looks like SKY category player when in full flow

4 hours ago, Need4Speed said:

I heard about Rizvi few years back..he coukdnt make the cut for U19 wcup team at that time…hope he works on inproving gane against high pace bowling

His problem in the U19 days were inconsistency & over aggressiveness, that’s is what he had improved in 2023 across tournaments.. he also played a slow innings with Rinku singh to win a SMT match, so he has groomed himself, he needs a breakthrough tournament to get noticed, however i’m sure he would be picked up by an IPL team and he can potentially change his life afterwards..

3 minutes ago, nsareen said:

His problem in the U19 days were inconsistency & over aggressiveness, that’s is what he had improved in 2023 across tournaments.. he also played a slow innings with Rinku singh to win a SMT match, so he has groomed himself, he needs a breakthrough tournament to get noticed, however i’m sure he would be picked up by an IPL team and he can potentially change his life afterwards..

The biggest challenge for him will be to not go Abdul Samad's route...rather should try to become batter like Abhishek Sharma.

Why these two, because they were selected by SRH and also began their career almost together. One has become a batter to watch for in every domestic tournament, other has been forgotten due to his poor game awareness.

15 minutes ago, singhvivek141 said:

The biggest challenge for him will be to not go Abdul Samad's route...rather should try to become batter like Abhishek Sharma.

Why these two, because they were selected by SRH and also began their career almost together. One has become a batter to watch for in every domestic tournament, other has been forgotten due to his poor game awareness.

Abdul samad’s achievement until now has been hitting a couple of sixes to the like of Rabada , Norte & a couple of good knocks in the domestic… however not won any tournament or match on his own…  on the other hand Sameer rizvi has captained UPU23 and won the tournament with being amongst the highest scorer & leading the strike rates by miles… He has already contributed to UP wins in SMAT trophy & has single handedly won his Up Premier league team matches.. i would say he is already above samad by far.. his bat speed is one of the fastest i’ve seen in domestic.. 

5 hours ago, nsareen said:

Lets not judge basis a couple of games.. he has been consistent and destructive at the same time for quite a while, ability is there , it will surface eventually..

Not just a couple of games. he doesn't seem to have sound basics either, going by these videos