Henry Kissinger (May 27 1923 - Nov 29 2023)

BacktoCricaddict

26 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

daana/daan in Sanskrit has multiple connotations. Daam is basically a price which in negotiations means a bribe. Daana also means a gift. In neogotiations. daana, is basically a gift to lure the opponent to your side. Both are used. Bheda Danda order is from the Tygararaja song - Sarasa  SamaDanaBhedaDanda   chatura for describing Rama's qualities. I have no idea why he choose that order.

no, i disagree. the context is how to defeat your enemy in a mazlow's heirarchy mode. First comes saam - which is to seduce the enemy. if failed, then its daam, which is to bribe the enemy. If that fails, then its dand - which is to punish (aka attack) the enemy. If that is not an option, then its Bhed, aka divide & conquer. In this, there is no room for daan. The 'gift to lure your enemy' is a bribe- aka daam. 

As such, daan is a donation/gift - which means no string attached and i dont think it serves the purpose of bribe, as bribe is a trade ( i bribe you for something), so daam, which means price, fits much better.

Edited by Muloghonto

4 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

no, i disagree. the context is how to defeat your enemy in a mazlow's heirarchy mode. First comes saam - which is to seduce the enemy. if failed, then its daam, which is to bribe the enemy. If that fails, then its dand - which is to punish (aka attack) the enemy. If that is not an option, then its Bhed, aka divide & conquer. In this, there is no room for daan. The 'gift to lure your enemy' is a bribe- aka daam. 

As such, daan is a donation/gift - which means no string attached and i dont think it serves the purpose of bribe, as bribe is a trade ( i bribe you for something), so daam, which means price, fits much better.

Don’t know if daam is a Sanskrit root. Daam in Hindi is value and can be equated to bribe as it can be thought to be of value. What is daam in Sanskrit?