The time machine - one cricketing incident you could change

After years of penance the tooth fairy has granted you a time machine by which you can go back(and of course return) in time and change something. There are certain restrictions - it can only be used once and it can only take you to a cricket match. It could be a whisper in Chetan Sharma's ear to bowl his full toss a bit lower so that Miandad gets caught at midwicket or letting Tendulkar know silently that Saqlain is about to bowl a doosra and the remaining batsmen cannot be relied upon. Personally, I would go back to the India-Pakistan Bangalore test in '87 and quietly warn Gavaskar that Iqbal Qasim's next ball is going to kick off the pitch and even though it's going to be caught off your arm guard the umpire will raise the finger. Just enough hint, so he would drop those wrists and let that delivery go to the keeper. Such a brilliant innings did not deserve to be sawed off by poor umpiring and what a win it would have been for India if Gavaskar was able to achieve it in his final test!

'99 Chennai test - I would have told Sachin to take it easy and let Sunil Joshi try finishing off that test. Joshi had already hit a big six off Saqlain and India were almost home. Tendulkar's back was already dead. In reality, Tendulkar felt that he had to finish it off himself and sure enough, he got himself caught out moments later. '99 World Cup - I would have told Srinath to play out Olonga's over after he got Robin Singh out. India needed 5 in less than 2 overs (IIRC) and they could have got it in singles. Srinath had hit two sixes already and he didn't need to keep slogging since the target had been whittled down to nothing. In reality, he yorked himself trying to hit a boundary. What a painful defeat that was '96 World Cup - You guessed it. I would have told Azhar to bowl first. The pitch was terrible to start with and chasing on that minefield would have been impossible under lights. In reality, Azhar and the rest of the team were cowards, thinking of their defeat at Delhi when they couldn't defend 270, so they opted to chase instead

--- telling tendulkar not to allow saeed anwar to get a free runner to run for him. Anwar was just tired. dehydrated and not injured. Tendulkar endz up giving runner to saeed anwar.. anwar goes on to make 194. it was such frustrating thing to happen. giving a guy a runner just because he's tired, not because he is injured.. ---the 99 chennai test offcourse.. a classic knock deserved to be a match winning one. still regret this till date. -- the sydney test 08.. apart from what all happend. the last 3 should have saved the game for us. 3 wkts in one over was just not on will add more later

Semifinal of the 1996 Wills World Cup... talk some sense into Azhar and had his choose to bat first on a pitch that was a square turner. We would have been in the finals and there was no way on earth that the aussies of the 1996 period could have stopped the Tendulkar juggernaught.

'99 Chennai test - I would have told Sachin to take it easy and let Sunil Joshi try finishing off that test. Joshi had already hit a big six off Saqlain and India were almost home. Tendulkar's back was already dead. In reality, Tendulkar felt that he had to finish it off himself and sure enough, he got himself caught out moments later. '99 World Cup - I would have told Srinath to play out Olonga's over after he got Robin Singh out. India needed 5 in less than 2 overs (IIRC) and they could have got it in singles. Srinath had hit two sixes already and he didn't need to keep slogging since the target had been whittled down to nothing. In reality, he yorked himself trying to hit a boundary. What a painful defeat that was '96 World Cup - You guessed it. I would have told Azhar to bowl first. The pitch was terrible to start with and chasing on that minefield would have been impossible under lights. In reality, Azhar and the rest of the team were cowards, thinking of their defeat at Delhi when they couldn't defend 270, so they opted to chase instead
whoopss... did not see that you posted that as well.... cheers mate, we finally agree (and now that the pleasantaries are over... die!)
surely you mean bat first

one non-Indian moment: '99 World Cup Semifinal: Would have told Donald to run (and not ballwatch)!!! Indian moments: '96 World Cup Semifinal: Would have told Sachin that the ball from Jaya was gonna be a wide one (and that he should go on since the other batsmen were going to give it away) '08 Sydney Test Match: Would have made Bucknor lift finger against Symonds (correctly), and also against other batsmen like Hussey and Hayden in second innings (perhaps incorrectly). We would have been staring at a win in the fourth innings '03 World Cup: Would have made Dada pick Laxman, a guy who would have helped us beat Australia (the only team we lost to in the entire WC). His form in ODI's in 03-04 was amazing

99 chennai wud top my list..ask SRT to take it easy for some more time..that knock deserved to be a match winning one :(( 2004 sydney test last day..ask the moron Parthiv to concentrate on the ball coz he missed Pontings stumping chance and that was crucial..v cud have won the series there 96 wc semifinal..whisper slowly to SRT that the match was fixed(which i suppose from Azhars dismissal )..that wud have made sure he stayed till the end and win it for us..v wud have definitely won the WC with Sachin in murderous form and to end it 2003 WC against Pak..again wud have loved to tell SRT that Actor is going to chuck the next ball and wud have asked Sachin to blindly duck so that it wud have whizzed past him..that knock deserved a 100 although the result was the same..but that innings from Sachin had 100 written all over until that ****ing actor chucked to get GOD out..

and to end it 2003 WC against Pak..again wud have loved to tell SRT that Actor is going to chuck the next ball and wud have asked Sachin to blindly duck so that it wud have whizzed past him..that knock deserved a 100 although the result was the same..but that innings from Sachin had 100 written all over until that ****ing actor chucked to get GOD out..
Shoaib is a chucker. You know it, I know it, the Pakis know it and everyone knows it but he didnt chuck that delivery to Sachin in WC 03. There's one recurring theme in this thread and it's about Sachin screwing up over and over and his die hard fans wanting to tell him not to screw up! Hate to say it but he never had the heart that Dravid or Gavaskar had. He may have more runs than them but he's no match winner like those two! Get over it
After years of penance the tooth fairy has granted you a time machine by which you can go back(and of course return) in time and change something. There are certain restrictions - it can only be used once and it can only take you to a cricket match. It could be a whisper in Chetan Sharma's ear to bowl his full toss a bit lower so that Miandad gets caught at midwicket or letting Tendulkar know silently that Saqlain is about to bowl a doosra and the remaining batsmen cannot be relied upon. Personally, I would go back to the India-Pakistan Bangalore test in '87 and quietly warn Gavaskar that Iqbal Qasim's next ball is going to kick off the pitch and even though it's going to be caught off your arm guard the umpire will raise the finger. Just enough hint, so he would drop those wrists and let that delivery go to the keeper. Such a brilliant innings did not deserve to be sawed off by poor umpiring and what a win it would have been for India if Gavaskar was able to achieve it in his final test!
I am so glad that there is someone else who remembers the details of that masterful knock from the original little master before he hung up his boots
Shoaib is a chucker. You know it, I know it, the Pakis know it and everyone knows it but he didnt chuck that delivery to Sachin in WC 03. There's one recurring theme in this thread and it's about Sachin screwing up over and over and his die hard fans wanting to tell him not to screw up! Hate to say it but he never had the heart that Dravid or Gavaskar had. He may have more runs than them but he's no match winner like those two! Get over it
ok so y all this hatred against the man..the thread says wat incident v wud like to change..and i cited these incidents..and how come u guys start bashing SRT even in a thread like this :dontknow: man u jus wait for some opportunity dont u..u get over it :finger:

the biggest moment i would like to change would be to tell the selectors before the 2003/04 series against aus that parthiv would drop catches, so dont pick him for the aus tour & select either ajay ratra or dinesh kartik also, i would tell the selectors that parthiv would cost india the home test series against aus in 2004, so dont pick him and pick either ajay ratra or dinesh kartik