Scorecard of the day : Miandad and Imran pull off a stunning chase

Scoring 164 runs in 25 overs on a last session pitch would not be easy even for some of the T20 stalwarts on display in the IPL, but here it was done without any field restrictions as India went down 0-2 in the 3 test series. http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/match/63219.html Indian heroics were largely restricted to Gavaskar's centuries in both innings and couple of counterattacking innings by Kapil Dev. It turned out to be Bedi's last test as captain after Pakistan had pulled off a similar though less dramatic chase in the previous test as well and a series which could have gone 0-0 ended up as a 0-2 loss to India. Match report from the Wisden Almanack :

At National Stadium, Karachi, November 14, 15, 17, 18, 19. Pakistan won by eight wickets. Left one hundred minutes to score 164 runs, Pakistan completed their win with seven balls to spare. The margin of victory was as much a measure of their vast batting superiority as the sharpness of their front-line pace bowlers, Imran Khan and Sarfraz Nawaz. The latter returned match figures of nine for 159, and although Imran took three fewer wickets his great pace helped to unsettle the fragile Indian batting. For the second time in his international career of eight years, Gavaskar scored two separate hundreds in a Test match. This feat and the efforts of all-rounders Kapil Dev and Ghavri prevented India from being more completely outplayed. These performances might have been sufficient to force a draw, particularly as Pakistan's catching was erratic, but India suffered from Bedi's poor marshalling of his moderate bowling sources. For the first time in many years, India had gone into a Test match with only two spinners. The balance of their side was influenced less by the nature of the pitch than by fear of weakening the batting. As for the pitch, there was more grass on it than is normal at Karachi. The growth was uneven, and its less pleasant features were varying pace and bounce. India won the toss for the first time in the series, but did not fully exploit the advantage. Following partnerships of 58 and 73 for the first two wickets, they went to 179 for four. There was a further slump after Gavaskar was fifth out at 217, two more wickets going down while only 36 runs were added. India were then rallied by an eighth-wicket stand of 84 between Ghavri and Kapil Dev, in which the latter's share was a rapid 59, made off only 48 deliveries and including two 6s and eight 4s. Pakistan, too, began soundly and then crumbled to 187 for five. For a brief period, Bedi and Chandrasekhar recaptured their old guile and devil, but the depth of Pakistan's batting enabled them to make light of this crisis. Miandad, scoring his second century of the series, put on 154 for the sixth wicket with Mushtaq Mohammad. On the third morning, Mushtaq was removed for 78 before Pakistan drew level, and Miandad was seventh out when they were only 30 ahead. The Pakistani tail then countered so strongly that Mushtaq was able to declare with a lead of 137 runs one hour after lunch. India had lost control initially because Bedi was tardy in resting his overworked seam bowlers and trying Chandrasekhar and himself. He then went to the other extreme and bowled himself for too long - obviously in the hope of picking up the tailenders' wickets. There was a dramatic start to India's second innings, which began with just over eight hours left in the match. Imran, bowling an opening over of lightning pace to Gavaskar, could have been most unlucky not to get the umpire's verdict when he appealed for a catch at the wicket. Then Sarfraz, in his second over, had Chauhan caught off the glove and nearly struck another blow almost immediately, getting the off-form Mohinder Amarnath to edge a simple catch before he had scored; but Zaheer dropped it. Amarnath stayed to make 53 and helped Gavaskar to put on 117 for the second wicket. However, India collapsed hopelessly on the last morning, and with half an hour to go for lunch, they were 173 for six - only 36 ahead. Fortunately Gavaskar was still there. Two short of his hundred at lunch, he cut loose after the break against Iqbal Qasim and Sikander Bakht. He and Ghavri added 73 and India won some breathing space. Then at 246, an hour after lunch, Sarfraz went round the wicket and had Gavaskar caught behind, Bari taking a superb catch. Imran and Sarfraz had gone flat out to break this seventh-wicket partnership and were rested once the goal was achieved. Mushtaq now turned to spin, which received rough treatment from the aggressive Kapil Dev. The new ball became due at 261, but with his main fast bowlers tired, Mushtaq delayed taking it for five overs. In doing so he nearly threw away the chance of winning, for 30 runs were added during this time. But once the new ball was taken, the innings ended abruptly. When the mandatory overs started, Pakistan had lost one wicket, that of Majid, and needed another 137 runs to win. However, field placings designed to stop boundaries could not contain Asif - who had opened the innings - and Miandad, who was promoted up the order because Zaheer was injured. With imaginative placements and magnificent running between the wickets, the pair put on 97 from only nine overs. Although Asif was dismissed at a crucial time, Pakistan did not lose momentum through this reverse, and if their win was at all in doubt, it was settled in the sixteenth over when Imran struck Bedi for two 6s and one 4.
Guest HariSampath

What a fantastic match. I watched all the 3 tests live on TV and still remember that series very well. Kapil Dev's debut series. pakistan had won the 2nd test at Lahore too by another run chase in the last session. In this test, I remember Asif Iqbal promoting himself to open the innings and what an inngs he played ! The running between wickets of Asif Iqbal and Miandad was stunning, and Asif took Kapil to the cleaners early in the inngs. Gavaskar had got 2 hundreds in this test match, both splendid knocks, but by his own admission later on, he was caught behind by Wasim Bari off Imran Khan off the first ball in BOTH inngs and the umpire ruled him notout. Gavaskar naturally did not walk. Bishen Bedi threw away the test match by flighting the ball in the final minutes and trying to buy the wicket of Imran Khan whose 2 huge sixes off Bedi settled the issue. India had no intention of bolwing even one ball more than the 30 minutes and 20 mandatory overs, and played so slowly in 35 min after Tea to just bowl 5 overs before the 20 mandatory overs began. India were 140-2 in the second inngs and Mohinder Amarnath's dismissal triggered a collapse, leaving Pakistan to chase 165 after tea. Surinder Amarnath coming in for the last test struck 14 runs in very few balls, including a couple of hookshots and was given runout in a close decision. The Hindu carried a 8 frame photo sequence even in those days that showed for certain Tommy Amarnath was certainly in when he was given runout. That decision as well as Bedi not bowling Chandra for even an over were the hotly debated issues among cricket fans in those days. Bishen Bedi was sacked as captain, and that series was the begining of the end of the great era of Indian spin wizards. Bedi, Prasanna and Chandra were all dropped later, with just Venkatraghavan continuing to play till 1982-83 season That 1978 series in Pakistan was the first test series telecast live all over India, 30 years back ...a landmark event in Indian cricket !. Kallicharran's Windies visited India soon after and Gavaskar, after those 2 100s, continued an extraordinary run spree that read....205, 78, 0, 107 and 183notout being appointed captain for an entire series for the first time. ( that 205 was on his debut as India skipper) and he set Wankhede ablaze in a knock that saw nearly 180 runs off his own bat in one day, which was phenomenal by the standards of that day.

Bishen Bedi threw away the test match by flighting the ball in the final minutes and trying to buy the wicket of Imran Khan whose 2 huge sixes off Bedi settled the issue. India had no intention of bolwing even one ball more than the 30 minutes and 20 mandatory overs, and played so slowly in 35 min after Tea to just bowl 5 overs before the 20 mandatory overs began.
That spell defines Bishen Bedi. Bedi was never afaid of getting hit and the more one hit him the more he came after you. Of course this would cut both ways as there are times when one has to take a backstep, as in this game, and play for a draw. But Bedi didnt play his cricket that way. Kapil Dev once said his favorite spinner of all times would be one who had the skills of Prasanna and heart of Bedi. I can see why he would make that statement.
What a fantastic match. I watched all the 3 tests live on TV and still remember that series very well. Kapil Dev's debut series. pakistan had won the 2nd test at Lahore too by another run chase in the last session. In this test, I remember Asif Iqbal promoting himself to open the innings and what an inngs he played ! The running between wickets of Asif Iqbal and Miandad was stunning, and Asif took Kapil to the cleaners early in the inngs. Gavaskar had got 2 hundreds in this test match, both splendid knocks, but by his own admission later on, he was caught behind by Wasim Bari off Imran Khan off the first ball in BOTH inngs and the umpire ruled him notout. Gavaskar naturally did not walk. Bishen Bedi threw away the test match by flighting the ball in the final minutes and trying to buy the wicket of Imran Khan whose 2 huge sixes off Bedi settled the issue. India had no intention of bolwing even one ball more than the 30 minutes and 20 mandatory overs, and played so slowly in 35 min after Tea to just bowl 5 overs before the 20 mandatory overs began. India were 140-2 in the second inngs and Mohinder Amarnath's dismissal triggered a collapse, leaving Pakistan to chase 165 after tea. Surinder Amarnath coming in for the last test struck 14 runs in very few balls, including a couple of hookshots and was given runout in a close decision. The Hindu carried a 8 frame photo sequence even in those days that showed for certain Tommy Amarnath was certainly in when he was given runout. That decision as well as Bedi not bowling Chandra for even an over were the hotly debated issues among cricket fans in those days. Bishen Bedi was sacked as captain, and that series was the begining of the end of the great era of Indian spin wizards. Bedi, Prasanna and Chandra were all dropped later, with just Venkatraghavan continuing to play till 1982-83 season That 1978 series in Pakistan was the first test series telecast live all over India, 30 years back ...a landmark event in Indian cricket !. Kallicharran's Windies visited India soon after and Gavaskar, after those 2 100s, continued an extraordinary run spree that read....205, 78, 0, 107 and 183notout being appointed captain for an entire series for the first time. ( that 205 was on his debut as India skipper) and he set Wankhede ablaze in a knock that saw nearly 180 runs off his own bat in one day, which was phenomenal by the standards of that day.
There was no live telecast in 1978 in india where were you watching it from ?you must be mistaken the first telecast was during 1982-83 series in pakistan, this was after 1982 asian games where the live telecast started in india.

Bedi should never have captained India- Period! the most useless captain ever; this is where selectors have to make a distinction between a good batsman or bowler and a good captain Bedi was solely responsible for losing matches for India through his captaincy

the perfect example of the moron that is bedi- too blindly egoistic and arrogant to make good captaincy decisions, flighting the ball when the team is struggling to save runs for a draw lol....glad he was removed frm the captaincy right after

Guest HariSampath
There was no live telecast in 1978 in india where were you watching it from ?you must be mistaken the first telecast was during 1982-83 series in pakistan' date=' this was after 1982 asian games where the live telecast started in india.[/quote'] For that series against Pakistan in 1978, There was Live telecast in India. All 3 test matches were telecast live, and I was very much in Chennai , India where I watched all 3 tests on TV. I still remember we didnt have a Tv at home in 1978 and I had to go to my uncle's house to watch the test matches and then my Dad too joined me. He was terribly impressed and I started petitioning my folks to buy a TV, and they were saying it will make me bunk school , so I had to resort to screaming, ranting and throwing tantrums for 2 months nearly before our TV arrived on the first day of the Chepauk test against Windies on 12th Jan 1979 ( I was at the ground though). Of course the first test India played against Sri Lanka at Chepauk was also telecast live 1981. I was watching on TV and saw Duleep Mendis start to flay the Indian attack, rushed to the ground to see him make 105, he made 105 again in the 2nd inngs. When Kieth Fletcher's England team toured India in 1981, I remember bunking school to watch Srikkanth make his debut at Wankhede....there was live telecast all the time from 1978 itself. ( In fact even in 1975, a test match was telecast live on TV in Chennai...that famous test against Clive Lloyd's Windies where GR Vishwanath got that 97 notout, but telecast quality was not very good, and there were just around 200 TV homes in Chennai approximately and hundreds used to watch it on publicly setup TV halls. This was just a local broadcast and not national)
Guest HariSampath

^ Actually there had been live telecast of test matches even in 1965 when Gary Sobers Windies had come to India. It was only the Delhi test I think. In 1975, Chennai test against Windies was telecast within city only as there were no facilities for national broadcast then, Chennai having got a TV station just then in 1974. But the 1978 test series was the first one fully telecast nationally ( the Pakistan series). Later in 1979 too when Windies played in India, there was just "local telecast", only in cities where the game was played. Even when Kim Hughes' Aussies toured here in 1979, no national telecast, just local games. The 1981 series against Keith Fletcher's men was the first series fully telecast, all games telecast nationally Live for the first time all over India ( except Kolkatta test I think, all 5 tests were fully telecast)

The first match shown live in India was the Indian Prime Minister's XI v West Indies at Delhi in that 1966/7series. The first Test match was three years later, at Delhi v Australia. Apparently there was a dispute because the DDCA wanted 5000 rupees per day, All India Radio was prepared to give only 1500, but they settled it in time. In 1972/3, the last two Tests at Kanpur and Bombay were shown. Madras' first was 1974-5. The 1978-9 Madras Test v WI was also shown in Bombay, and this was the first home Test that was shown outside the city where the match was played. Of course, the series in Pakistan earlier in the season had been shown simultaenously in the metros. Pakistan was way ahead of India in the quality of telecast. They infact managed to show live the Test series in Australia in the 1976/7. Here the quality was crap right until 1992/3 when DD's monopoly was destroyed.

^ Actually there had been live telecast of test matches even in 1965 when Gary Sobers Windies had come to India. It was only the Delhi test I think. In 1975, Chennai test against Windies was telecast within city only as there were no facilities for national broadcast then, Chennai having got a TV station just then in 1974. But the 1978 test series was the first one fully telecast nationally ( the Pakistan series). Later in 1979 too when Windies played in India, there was just "local telecast", only in cities where the game was played. Even when Kim Hughes' Aussies toured here in 1979, no national telecast, just local games. The 1981 series against Keith Fletcher's men was the first series fully telecast, all games telecast nationally Live for the first time all over India ( except Kolkatta test I think, all 5 tests were fully telecast)

I wouldnt know when the first match was televised in India so I will go by what HS, Observer, Tapioca etc have suggsted. However the first big event that was widely televised in India was 1985 Benson Hedges World Cup in Australia that India won. The sheer impact of that is impossible to beleive and I count myself lucky to have actually witnessed it. Early morning we would get up to catch match with 9-12 cameras. Remember at this time during a Test coverage every second over was covered from behind the batsman angle. With Channel 9 it was an out of world experience. Fans could see the game in a completely different angle. I beleive to an extent this is also the reason why 1985 team is considered better(and ahead of 1983 WC team). Fans have lot of memories of 1985 but none so for 1983...heck the greatest of all LOI innings(Kapil's 175*) was not even broadcasted on BBC.

^ The 1983 was surely telecast live' date=' Lurker. In fact my lasting memories are of a news break/power disruption during the time WI went from 50/1 to 65/5.[/quote'] Semis and the finals were Shwetabh but not so sure about the league matches being telecasted. My memory is more of the semis when Yashpal Sharma and Amarnath were inching close to the victory but it was all radio commentary. In the backwaters of Bihar there was little power those days.
^ The 1983 was surely telecast live' date=' Lurker. In fact my lasting memories are of a news break/power disruption during the time WI went from 50/1 to 65/5.[/quote'] Yeah I remember that interruption- though India will surely lose and after the power break woke up to find India was 65/5