Films directed by Nasir Husain

zen

Posted (edited)

If I were to do a tentative ranking, it would be difficult to pick #1 as there are 3 strong contenders (in the order of release):

• Tumsa Nahin Dekha: A fun film with a powerful performance by Shammi Kapoor. This is the film that made him a star and gave him his "unique image", and you can see why when you watch the film. 
  • Phir Wohi Dil Laya Hoon: A quality film with solidity in most areas. Importantly, a well-structured love story shot at picturesque locations, enhanced by some good actors. Joy Mukherjee is quite good in both comic and serious scenes. There is this memorable dance competition (something that we get to see in Husain films) as well involving Asha Parekh. Pran has an interesting role as well. Rajendra Nath is funny. 
  • Yaadon Ki Baarat: A film driven by a powerful performance from Dharmendra. Ajit brings in the cool villain factor. It has a collection of great songs as well. Known to be the first "true" Bollywood masala film. 

Edited by zen

On 4/17/2024 at 12:26 PM, zen said:

@coffee_rules btw, if you like Pran, he has an interesting role in Phir Wohi Dil Laya Hoon too!

Disappointed, it was not as good. Very similar storyline as TumsaNahinDekha . Only couple of songs are good from RDB. I am not a fan of stories where they raise an adopted girl as a beti and then accept her a a bahu in the end. Technically they should be siblings. But that’s just me. 

Try Mere Sanam produced by G.P Sippy although not a NH movie. It has a NH feel, the director (some Amar Kumar) might be an assistant to NH Saab. Great songs by OP Nayyar. But you have to tolerate a meetha effeminate Biswajit as a hero. Very similar storyline where the hero is the adopted son while Asha Parekh is the real daughter! Pran has a bigger role , released in 1965 before the war. Shot totally in J&K.

Edited by coffee_rules

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

Disappointed, it was not as good. Very similar storyline as TumsaNahinDekha . Only couple of songs are good from RDB. I am not a fan of stories where they raise an adopted girl as a beti and then accept her a a bahu in the end. Technically they should be siblings. But that’s just me. 

Try Mere Sanam produced by G.P Sippy although not a NH movie. It has a NH feel, the director (some Amar Kumar) might be an assistant to NH Saab. Great songs by OP Nayyar. But you have to tolerate a meetha effeminate Biswajit as a hero. Very similar storyline where the hero is the adopted son while Asha Parekh is the real daughter! Pran has a bigger role , released in 1965 before the war. Shot totally in J&K.

That “Tumsa Nahin Dekha” plot line is adapted in Mahaan too where papa AB runs to Nepal and raises Parveen Babi, who is in love with son AB, and where Shakti, who is sent by Amjad Khan, pretends to be papa AB’s son … Such plot lines with minor changes are used in films such as Amar, Akbar, and Anthony as well where Pran raises Praveen Babi, who is in love with Pran’s son AB. 

I have watched Mere Sanam but don’t recall it now so may give it a shot. Bishwajeet has starred in some good films iirc. 

PS talking about Phir Wohi Dil Laya Hoon, while its songs can be said to be more or less ok, a product of their time, relatively speaking, I like the one below, along with Joy Mukerjee’s intro song, including how it is shot (a typical Husain dance competition) in the traditional style (Hum Kisi Se Kim Nahin has a contemporary version of it). Bare the poor quality video below:

^ Mesmerizingly brilliant:hatsoff:

The film also has some cool sequences such as Joy Mukerjee lighting a cigarette with INR 50,000 (a big amount in 1960s) cheque! 

There is also this funny dialogue by Asha where one of her friends spills water on Joy and she is upset that Joy will think it was her and “woh kahin chala na jaayeh” :lol: 

I also liked the Agra mental hospital sequence where Rajendra Nath and Asha Parkekh think that the other one is mad and hit each other. Overall, Rajendra Nath is funny. The film maintains interest with Pran taking over in the last hour or so. 

Print that I watched the film in was of good quality and in its original aspect ratio. Many times the aspect ratio of old films is changed to full screen or widescreen where the actors appear a little stretched out and potentially ruining director’s vision and/or cinematography. 

Edited by zen