Films directed by Nasir Husain

zen

Nasir Husain’s films are usually about fun. I am planning to revisit many of his films as some of them are (or used to be) among my favorite Bollywood films. Below is a list of films directed by him (wiki):

Year Film Notes
1957 Tumsa Nahin Dekha Debut film as director
1959 Dil Deke Dekho  
1961 Jab Pyar Kisi Se Hota Hai  
1963 Phir Wohi Dil Laya Hoon  
1967 Baharon Ke Sapne  
1969 Pyar Ka Mausam  
1971 Caravan  
1973 Yaadon Ki Baaraat  
1973 Aangan Story also
1977 Hum Kisise Kum Naheen  
1981 Zamane Ko Dikhana Hai  
1984 Manzil Manzil  
1985 Zabardast

Recently, I watched Yaadon Ki Baaraat, which is usually seen as India's first true Masala film. I love its evergreen songs and the performances of Dharmendra (one of his best intense roles) and Ajit (as usual is cool, calculated, & cunning on screen). The film's print needs a restoration. 

220px-Yaadon_ki_Baaraat.jpg

Which is your favorite film(s) directed by Nasir Husain?

Edited by zen

Posted (edited)

Watched Hum Kisise Kim Nahin. As we know, its songs are excellent but the film is now, due to its age, falls in the time pass category. It gets better once Amjad Khan “reveals” himself. 

Top Tier: Yaadon Ki Baarat 

Mid Tier: Hum Kisise Kum Nahin

Bottom Tier: N/A

Edited by zen

9 hours ago, zen said:

Nasir Hussain's films are usually about fun. I am planning to revisit many of his films as some of them are (or used to be) among my favorite Bollywood films. Below is a list of films directed by him (wiki):

Year Film Notes
1957 Tumsa Nahin Dekha Debut film as director
1959 Dil Deke Dekho  
1961 Jab Pyar Kisi Se Hota Hai  
1963 Phir Wohi Dil Laya Hoon  
1967 Baharon Ke Sapne  
1969 Pyar Ka Mausam  
1971 Caravan  
1973 Yaadon Ki Baaraat  
1973 Aangan Story also
1977 Hum Kisise Kum Naheen  
1981 Zamane Ko Dikhana Hai  
1984 Manzil Manzil  
1985 Zabardast

Recently, I watched Yaadon Ki Baaraat, which is usually seen as India's first true Masala film. I love its evergreen songs and the performances of Dharmendra (one of his best intense roles) and Ajit (as usual is cool, calculated, & cunning on screen). The film's print needs a restoration. 

220px-Yaadon_ki_Baaraat.jpg

Which is your favorite film(s) directed by Nasir Hussain?

He was a better producer than director, I feel. Memorable songs by RDB in his movies. Entertaining movies for sure. YKB was an inspiration for AAA and many MKDesai movies, brothers separated at birth and re-unite later, quintessentially Bollywood trademark movies. I have not seen Caravan but remember all songs - Kitna Pyara vaada hain in matwali aankhon ka. Did you know Asha Parekh was his muse!! She didn’t want to break his home like Hemamalini or Sridevi!! 

11 hours ago, coffee_rules said:

He was a better producer than director, I feel. Memorable songs by RDB in his movies. Entertaining movies for sure. YKB was an inspiration for AAA and many MKDesai movies, brothers separated at birth and re-unite later, quintessentially Bollywood trademark movies. I have not seen Caravan but remember all songs - Kitna Pyara vaada hain in matwali aankhon ka. Did you know Asha Parekh was his muse!! She didn’t want to break his home like Hemamalini or Sridevi!! 

I don't recall Caravan much (probably watched it as a kid when action. comedy, masala, etc. films connected more with me), but we used to have records of almost all Nasir Husain films. One song that I still remember from Caravan is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T95X7NtHQBU 

10 minutes ago, zen said:

I don't recall Caravan much (probably watched it as a kid when action. comedy, masala, etc. films connected more with me), but we used to have records of almost all Nasir Husain films. One song that I still remember from Caravan is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T95X7NtHQBU 

Iconic Piya Tu Ab to aaja

https://youtu.be/Kxlqm5lez08?si=USIgcEV_QY1nhruA

Edited by coffee_rules

Posted (edited)

Caravan ... another fun film that appears to be designed as a vehicle to serve one good song after another. It has a blockbuster feel of the 60s films (though Caravan was released in 1971). Aruna Irani has some nice songs in it. The film is said to be a big hit in China as well. 

Btw, its background score has a tune that is inspired by one in Lawrence of Arabia.  

Mid Tier: Caravan, Hum Kisise Kum Nahin

Edited by zen

Tumsa Nahin Dekha ... What a blast! Shammi Kapoor is brilliant, reminding me of a live Tom (of Tom and Jerry) version ... Shammi (and Kishore Kumar) as hero + Pran as villain usually = fun for most parts of the film ... Concepts of this film have been used in films such as Sanam Teri Kasam (1982) and Mahaan (1983) ... The film reconnected me with Shammi, who is among my favorite actors ... A classic! 

Top Tier: Tumsa Nahin Dekha, Yaadon Ki Baarat 

Jab Pyar Kisi Se Hota Hai ... starts as a fun film, where its concept is repeated in Hum Kisise Kum Nahin and to a lesser extent in Yaadon Ki Baarat, and then keeps turning relatively serious including by throwing in a murder angle .... Shot in the Darjeeling area. Overall, a time pass watch! 

Mid Tier: Jab Pyar Kisi Se Hota Hai, Caravan, Hum Kisise Kum Nahin

Dil Deke Dekho ... Asha Parekh's debut film as a leading lady ... Shammi Kapoor as usual is fun ... Lacks interesting villains ... This one is close to 3 h so relatively a long film. 

Mid Tier: Dil Deke Dekho, Jab Pyar Kisi Se Hota Hai, Caravan, Hum Kisise Kum Nahin

Phir Wohi Dil Laya Hoon ... Husain's first color film as director. Shot in Delhi and Kashmir. Production design and a saturated color palette provide a relatively good visual experience ... Joy Mukherjee and Asha Parekh work well together and are well supported by Rajendra Nath and Pran. Importantly, this is a well-executed love story mixed with typical Husain tropes ... This one joins Tumsa Nahin Dekha and Yaadon Ki Baarat in the top tier! 

Top Tier: Tumsa Nahin Dekha, Phir Wohi Dil Laya Hoon, Yaadon Ki Baarat 

Mid Tier: Dil Deke Dekho, Jab Pyar Kisi Se Hota Hai, Caravan, Hum Kisise Kum Nahin

Posted (edited)

Pyar Ka Mausam ... A soft remake of Tumsa Nahin Dekha with some elements of Dil Deke Dekho thrown in. Usually, it is noticeable only when you watch these films in a cluster. Those films were made in the late 50s, and this one was released in the late 60s ... The songs and the generally light atmosphere make this film a timepass watch. 

Top Tier: Tumsa Nahin Dekha, Phir Wohi Dil Laya Hoon, Yaadon Ki Baarat 

Mid Tier: Dil Deke Dekho, Jab Pyar Kisi Se Hota Hai, Pyar Ka Mausam, Caravan, Hum Kisise Kum Nahin

Edited by zen

On 4/6/2024 at 11:19 AM, zen said:

Watched Hum Kisise Kim Nahin. As we know, its songs are excellent but the film is now, due to its age, falls in the time pass category. It gets better once Amjad Khan “reveals” himself. 

Mid Tier: Hum Kisise Kum Nahin

Best songs

Posted (edited)

I watched the 8 key films directed by Husain at his peak ... What remains are a couple of offbeat films in Baharon Ke Sapna and Aangan and the "past his best" work in the 80s. 

Most of these films are among the most entertaining Bollywood films ... Great music, masti, and modernity (relative to their respective release) :hatsoff:... It was time well spent. May watch some of these again. 

PS the hero with the guitar:

PPS And the heroine with the guitar:

Edited by zen

On 4/11/2024 at 1:52 PM, zen said:

Caravan ... another fun film that appears to be designed as a vehicle to serve one good song after another. It has a blockbuster feel of the 60s films (though Caravan was released in 1971). Aruna Irani has some nice songs in it. The film is said to be a big hit in China as well. 

Btw, its background score has a tune that is inspired by one in Lawrence of Arabia.  

Songs were great, story, direction, acting not so great, climax was unintentionally funny. It lacked a good villain like Pran. But he makes his movies entertaining for a teenager, and most masala directors look ke MLD, Prakash Mehra, Dhawan carried forward that art. But music by RDB is top notch, so many mesmerizing songs esp Dilbar, Piya tu, Kitna pyara, Arrey ho, makes your day ! Aruna Irani tried to move to tier I actress , but because of this movie she got typecasted into vamp roles like Mumtaz in her earlier movies. 

1 hour ago, coffee_rules said:

Songs were great, story, direction, acting not so great, climax was unintentionally funny. It lacked a good villain like Pran. But he makes his movies entertaining for a teenager, and most masala directors look ke MLD, Prakash Mehra, Dhawan carried forward that art. But music by RDB is top notch, so many mesmerizing songs esp Dilbar, Piya tu, Kitna pyara, Arrey ho, makes your day ! Aruna Irani tried to move to tier I actress , but because of this movie she got typecasted into vamp roles like Mumtaz in her earlier movies. 

Caravan is basically a “chitrahaar”, designed to go from one song to the next. The good acting too happens in the songs such as in “rovu na ave na ave haasi” 

On 4/12/2024 at 11:45 AM, zen said:

Tumsa Nahin Dekha ... What a blast! Shammi Kapoor is brilliant, reminding me of a live Tom (of Tom and Jerry) version ... Shammi (and Kishore Kumar) as hero + Pran as villain usually = fun for most parts of the film ... Concepts of this film have been used in films such as Sanam Teri Kasam (1982) and Mahaan (1983) ... The film reconnected me with Shammi, who is among my favorite actors ... A classic! 

Tumsa Nahin Dekha is again  an entertaining movie By Nazir Hussain. Pran as a villain was a rage in these films , must have had a fan following like Amrish Puri. He had such piuercing eyes perfect for a evil scheming character. Shammi Kapoor was very good in this film, again awesome soundtrack from OPN. He worked only with AshaB and no songs with Lata as they had a fallout.  I hadn't noticed the plot similarity of Mahaan, which is a remake of a Kannada movie - Shankar Guru. So, most movies have plots that are passed around. I have not seen Sanam Teri Kasam.  

I like Shammi Kapoor, Dev Anand and Dilip Kumar of that era. Never had a liking for Rajendra Kumar or Raj Kapoor. While Wiki'ing the heroine of this movie Ameeta (Qamar Sultana), found that she  was married to biological father of Farah khan (Kamran). I had read that Farah and her brother grew up a single-room lower middle-class chawl in Mumbai, despite being kids of an actor. Quite an interesting tale.  

37 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Tumsa Nahin Dekha is again  an entertaining movie By Nazir Hussain. Pran as a villain was a rage in these films , must have had a fan following like Amrish Puri. He had such piuercing eyes perfect for a evil scheming character. Shammi Kapoor was very good in this film, again awesome soundtrack from OPN. He worked only with AshaB and no songs with Lata as they had a fallout.  I hadn't noticed the plot similarity of Mahaan, which is a remake of a Kannada movie - Shankar Guru. So, most movies have plots that are passed around. I have not seen Sanam Teri Kasam.  

I like Shammi Kapoor, Dev Anand and Dilip Kumar of that era. Never had a liking for Rajendra Kumar or Raj Kapoor. While Wiki'ing the heroine of this movie Ameeta (Qamar Sultana), found that she  was married to biological father of Farah khan (Kamran). I had read that Farah and her brother grew up a single-room lower middle-class chawl in Mumbai, despite being kids of an actor. Quite an interesting tale.  

I was laughing a lot during this song w/ Pran thinking that it is being sung for him :rofl:

https://youtu.be/NL8_HTWHuKg?feature=shared