Films directed by Nasir Husain

zen

On 4/17/2024 at 12:26 PM, zen said:

@coffee_rules btw, if you like Pran, he has an interesting role in Phir Wohi Dil Laya Hoon too!

Disappointed, it was not as good. Very similar storyline as TumsaNahinDekha . Only couple of songs are good from RDB. I am not a fan of stories where they raise an adopted girl as a beti and then accept her a a bahu in the end. Technically they should be siblings. But that’s just me. 

Try Mere Sanam produced by G.P Sippy although not a NH movie. It has a NH feel, the director (some Amar Kumar) might be an assistant to NH Saab. Great songs by OP Nayyar. But you have to tolerate a meetha effeminate Biswajit as a hero. Very similar storyline where the hero is the adopted son while Asha Parekh is the real daughter! Pran has a bigger role , released in 1965 before the war. Shot totally in J&K.

Edited by coffee_rules

Posted (edited)
On 4/25/2024 at 12:48 AM, coffee_rules said:

Disappointed, it was not as good. Very similar storyline as TumsaNahinDekha . Only couple of songs are good from RDB. I am not a fan of stories where they raise an adopted girl as a beti and then accept her a a bahu in the end. Technically they should be siblings. But that’s just me. 

Try Mere Sanam produced by G.P Sippy although not a NH movie. It has a NH feel, the director (some Amar Kumar) might be an assistant to NH Saab. Great songs by OP Nayyar. But you have to tolerate a meetha effeminate Biswajit as a hero. Very similar storyline where the hero is the adopted son while Asha Parekh is the real daughter! Pran has a bigger role , released in 1965 before the war. Shot totally in J&K.

That “Tumsa Nahin Dekha” plot line is adapted in Mahaan too where papa AB runs to Nepal and raises Parveen Babi, who is in love with son AB, and where Shakti, who is sent by Amjad Khan, pretends to be papa AB’s son … Such plot lines with minor changes are used in films such as Amar, Akbar, and Anthony as well where Pran raises Praveen Babi, who is in love with Pran’s son AB. 

I have watched Mere Sanam but don’t recall it now so may give it a shot. Bishwajeet has starred in some good films iirc. 

PS talking about Phir Wohi Dil Laya Hoon, its songs can be said to be a product of their time, relatively speaking, where one may need to get used to them. The lyrics are quite good.  The song below is memorable,  including how it is shot (a typical Husain dance competition) in the traditional style (Hum Kisi Se Kim Nahin has a contemporary version of it). Bare the poor quality video below:

^ Mesmerizingly brilliant:hatsoff:

The film also has some cool sequences such as Joy Mukerjee lighting a cigarette with INR 50,000 (a big amount in 1960s) cheque! 

There is also this funny dialogue by Asha where one of her friends spills water on Joy and she is upset that Joy will think it was her and “woh kahin chala na jaayeh” :lol: 

I also liked the Agra mental hospital sequence where Rajendra Nath and Asha Parkekh think that the other one is mad and hit each other. Overall, Rajendra Nath is funny. The film maintains interest with Pran taking over in the last hour or so. 

Print that I watched the film in was of good quality and in its original aspect ratio. Many times the aspect ratio of old films is changed to full screen or widescreen where the actors appear a little stretched out and potentially ruining director’s vision and/or cinematography. 

Edited by zen

Posted (edited)

Zabardast (1985) 

Now that I understand Nasir Husain's working style, I can see the influence of Yadoon Ki Baarat and some Shami Kapoor films, including Teesri Manzil, in it. Sunny Deol tries to recreate Dharmendra's role in Yadoon Ki Baarat (wears the all-black dress too). Rajiv Kapoor gets to do some of the things that Shami Kapoor used to do. No need to say that both of them are not able to compete esp. early on in their careers. Sunny Deol's is one of the most wooden performances that I have seen (drags the film down). While Rajiv tries his best, he is no Shami Kapoor. 

As for positives, I liked Sanjeev Kumar (Here he has a mark on his hand much like Ajit wore #8 & 9 shoes). I hadn't seen a Sanjeev Kumar film in a long time so his presence made me finish the film. Jaya Prada looks pretty. The song "Jab Chaha Yaara Tume" is a hit. 

Overall, this film can be watched for timepass with low expectations and for likes of Sanjeev Kumar. This one goes to the bottom tier. 

PS

Top Tier: Tumsa Nahin Dekha, Phir Wohi Dil Laya Hoon, Yaadon Ki Baarat 

Mid Tier: Dil Deke Dekho, Jab Pyar Kisi Se Hota Hai, Pyar Ka Mausam, Caravan, Hum Kisise Kum Nahin

Bottom Tier: Zabardast 

Edited by zen

Posted (edited)

Zamane Ko Dikhana Hai (1981) 

Growing up, this was among my frequently watched films. It is a simple film without a complicated plot. Its sequences, many extended, are designed for fun. Darjeeling as a location works well. It also has many things that I used to like growing up such as Rishi Kapoor's Black & White and Red & White jackets. It has that white Ford station wagon as well. Most of the actors including Rishi, Padmini, Amjad Khan, Yogeeta Bali, Om Shivpuri, Simple Kapadia, & Kadar Khan do a good job. Randhir Kapoor, Jeetendra, Rajendra Nath, Vijay Arora, & Tariq make appearances. The songs are memorable. One of the songs is on the top of a train. Rishi-Padmini's love story is interesting. Various elements of a Nasir Husain fun film have been repackaged, including characters like the Colonel saying "Jolly good ...", nicely. I enjoyed it as much as I did when I used to watch it growing up. What more can you ask for? 

I watched it on Zee5, which has a good print in its original aspect ratio. 

While the film was not as successful at the BO as Nasir Husain would have liked, it has aged relatively well esp. as a "sit back and enjoy" film. Nasir Husain was upset about its relative BO performance (Nasir Husain films tend to finish in the top 5 hits of their respective year of release), but not to worry about it now as it goes to the top tier here! 

Top Tier: Tumsa Nahin Dekha, Phir Wohi Dil Laya Hoon, Yaadon Ki Baarat, Zamane Ko Dikhana Hai

Mid Tier: Dil Deke Dekho, Jab Pyar Kisi Se Hota Hai, Pyar Ka Mausam, Caravan, Hum Kisise Kum Nahin

Bottom Tier: Zabardast 

Edited by zen

Posted (edited)

Teesri Manzil (1966, directed by Vijay Anand) 

Sometimes a film is destined to be great so good things begin to happen for it during its production. Originally, Teesri Manzil was to be directed by Nasir Husain with Dev Anand playing the lead. Baharon Ke Sapne (1967) was to be directed by Goldie with newcomer Rajesh Khanna in the lead. A thoughtless comment by Dev Anand resulted in Nasir Husain swapping the directors of these two films with Dev Anand being replaced by Shammi Kapoor.

Nasir Husain appears to have had the project ready to go with him doing the story, screenplay, and maybe the dialogues too. At its core, this is a Nasir Husain film. However, Goldie adds a layer of his style (later also seen in films such as Jewel Theif, Johnny Mera Naam, etc) on top of it. This fusion results in explosive entertainment that keeps you hooked for close to 3 hours. You can feel Goldie's touch in cinematography, which is excellent, with frames shot within frames and the use of innovative camera angles, making this a pleasing film to look at. The background score is foot tapping. The editing is smart and relatively fast. 

Shammi Kapoor makes this his film. In songs, he is Elvis Presley of India. In drama, he gives a balanced Hollywoodesque performance. In comedy, he is Shammi Kapoor. It is difficult to visualize anyone else in the lead. Dev Anand works better in relatively serious and/or investigative/detective types of films. Only the last hour or so of this film has those elements. 

Another hallmark of Nasir Husain's films is the songs, both their quality and how they are utilized. In many films, songs can feel out of place, but in Nasir Husain's films, they are a part of the story. Their picturization and production design tend to be top-notch. Teesri Manzil is no exception to this where songs elevate the film. The young R.D. Burman gave a breakthrough score of his career.  

The film is as Hitchcockian as a Bollywood film can be. Overall, Teesri Manzil is one of the finest examples of the golden age of Bollywood!

:hatsoff:

Edited by zen

This song from Phir Wohi Dil Laya Hoon is growing on me. The lyric is poetry:

“Khud dhund rahi hai shamma jise, kiya baat hai ush parwane ki” 

Have to say Nasir Husain's films (and Shammi Kapoor's) have spoiled me. I watched other Hindi films like Jewel Thief (1967) and Maine Pyar Kiya (1989) but they appear "relatively" dull! 

Edited by zen