Is Sehwag the most Brutal Indian batsman ever to play for India???

Is Sehwag the most Brutal Indian batsman ever to play for India???  

1. 1.

No doubt about it. SRT was the original terminator(like Arnie in T2). Even though a machine, he had a conscience. He factored in various things while assaulting the other team. He looked at match conditions, his batting lineup etc and planned his assault based on it. He tempered his hitting as per condition. Veeru is T-1000. He doesn't care about match condition, team composition, players after him, wickets remaining or time remaining. He is a killing machine. No remorse or emotion. Just kill.
So T-1000 essentially doesn't have a brain... jus kiddin. :)

he is the most destructive top order batsman of our time..no one comes close to him..well Sachin at his prime the 96-99 era was destructive but Viru has been playing like this ever since he came into the scene..and Sachin was never brutal in his test knocks..he was always majestic and he did score the occasional fast 100..but Sehwag man he is really a different league as in the impact he has on the game..if he stays for a day v know that his score will be close to 200..so yes he is easily the most destructive player of our time..as Ravi Said kapil was also brutal..his whirlwind cameos has changed the match many a times..but then Viru as an opener at the test level has been playing these kind of innings..which is something extraordinary..he deserves all the accolades that he is getting rite now:hatsoff:

Ok ... who are those batmen that have made big hundreds ( > 150 ) on square turners and seaming pitches. Sehwag averages well over 50 at a SR of almost 75 as an opener ... NO batsman in the entire history of Test cricket can lay claim to such an accomplishment ... unless ofcourse he is the only one that is privy to flat pitches. And having correct footwork is not the only way to make runs .... thats the lesson Sehwag has taught the purists. Sanjay Manjrekar - one of the very best Technically correct batsman acknowledges that fact.
A 70 or 80 runs in a swinging pitch is a higher quality score than a 100 on a flat track. Off the top of my head you can look at Dinesh Kartik who in a couple of tests against England on the last tour was one of the highest scorers because his technique improved so much against swing. Kartik was a big reason why India won that series because he saw the new ball off for the middle. After the first test his footwork improved and even though he doesn't have the strokes, talent and raw power and timing that Sehwag has, he showed better footwork and learning technique in a couple of tests than Sehwag has in the past three years. Again this is not me trying to bash Sehwag or say Karthik is a better player. Hardly. This is just me being honest in this thread which asks the question whether Sehwag is the most brutal Indian batsmen in the game ever. If you want further proof you can go look it up yourself but here's another example: On a dead flat track against South Africa in the first test he scored that magnificient 319. That was great. But was it special? Hardly, there were other centurians in that test and his knock didn't help India win because the pitch always guaranteed a draw. Let's not confuse quantity as quality here. In the very next test where the conditions helped the bowlers as well he scored a combined 20 something runs in two innings. Almost every other Indian top/middle order batsman down to Pathan outscored Sehwag in that test because while Sehwag is a Lion on a flat track, he's a kitty cat in swinging conditions. If the track was unplayable then how come others like Irfan Pathan outscored him? This isn't something new but a hallmark of his career. You can't take his average into account and claim it as some sort of validation because a lot of times he'll get those flat track pitches and score big. That's something he can do. But every one from Harshe Bhogle to Ian Chappell will tell you that the the best batsmen in form score consistently and heavily against all sorts of opposition in different conditions. Like Chanderpaul at the moment, or Tendulkar last year, or Ponting the year before that. Sehwag has never been able to do that. This was Sehwags first ODI century in what, three years against a test playing country? Where was the games most BRUTAL batsmen for the last three years? :haha: Seriously, the reactions are hilarious. When Sehwag scores a century he's the most brutal batsmen, but when he plays poorly (like when he did when he was dropped) he sucks!! :hysterical:

He is the most brutal test opener I have ever seen or heard of. He has smashed the famed phhassht bowling attacks of Pak, Aus and SAF to pulp. Regardless of tracks, its no joke to consistently post big 100s, 200s and 300s against quality attacks, at an incredible strike rate at that. He might fail on a juiced up track like most other batsmen, but rest assured, he will make the most of the time that he spends in the middle. So if a Manjrekar can survive 2 sessions and score a thirty, Sehwag would do so in a few minutes and in the process dent the opposition badly. It would also raise the confidence in the dressing room, and cliched it maybe, but cricket is still a mental game. Go Viru!

Adelaide in 2nd innings not really flat. MCG first morning no way flat SAF he struggled second time around but scored hundred on bouncy blomefontein. Windies he scored hundred on surely flat track. He has scored couple of hundreds on wonder bras
Once and for all, can one of our resident stats guy please make a list of all the excellent work that Sehwag has done in crazy conditions such as those beepin wonderbras? That shith still amazes me. Everyone was falling like nine-pins and Sehwag is scoring nonchalantly. :finger:
Because he opens the Innings ... and hence is more likely to get a lower score .... you swap IPK and Sehwag in the batting order then see what happens. An opener averaging over 50 with that kinda strike rate is just pure Gold.
That's true, and I'm not denying he's a very good player, but not the most brutal. He's not even in the same league as Tendulkar.
BTW Sehwag scored about 80 odd runs in the Perth Test (Both innings together) which is all the Big wigs did in that Test. And talking about outscoring the others Sehwag made 150 on a 5th Day pitch when the next highest score was in the 20's ..... And again is Sehwag the only batsman getting a chance to Bat on flat tracks ?
No, and I've already acknowledged that he's a Lion on flat tracks.
That makes no sense considering I just said in my last post that the 2nd test offered assistance to the bowlers when South Africa toured India. And again, I don't know why I keep having to repeat this but a few examples of when Sehwag does play well in tougher conditions do not improve his footwork etc. He's the same player who's going to get out cheaply more often than not on a swinging/moving wicket.
you must be talking about others .... not me.
Yes, I'm not talking specifically about you but you're arguing a different case I think. You're saying that Sehwag could the best opening batsmen. I'm not talking about that. Once again, I'm talking about this thread which raises the question of whether Sehwag is the most Brutal Indian batsmen to every play. THAT'S what I disagree with. Or do you think for example, Tendulkar isn't as good as Sehwag on a swinging pitch? And again if he's the most brutal Indian batsmen every, where was he that last three years when he didn't score a single ODI 100 against decent opposition?
SRT was the original terminator(like Arnie in T2). Even though a machine' date=' he had a conscience. He factored in various things while assaulting the other team. He looked at match conditions, his batting lineup etc and planned his assault based on it. He tempered his hitting as per condition.[/quote'] I thought he planned his assaults based on how easy it was for him to look good, and tempered his hitting to look after his average?
And again, I don't know why I keep having to repeat this but a few examples of when Sehwag does play well in tougher conditions do not improve his footwork etc. He's the same player who's going to get out cheaply more often than not on a swinging/moving wicket. ?
You could say that about practically any batsman. Sehwag has scored runs in all kinds of conditions, but like all modern day players, he cashes in on flatter wickets. You don't average 50+ over a 7 year long career by being a flat-track bully.
Yes Iam saying that he is the most destructive ever ..... His destructive powers are evident in many a innings small or big .... he completely destroys the opposition and sets them back by a mile in a very short time .... it also raises the morale of his own teammates watching from the stand ... setting the stall for the strokemakers like SRT to rub it in. That is his role. dont take mine or anybody's views go ask the Pakistani's who they dread most ... Even the Aussies for that matter ... you cannot be a FTB and average well over 50 against those 2 sides (and SAF) flat tracks or not.
You're pretty much wrong then. I'd love Sehwag to be the most destructive ever but the performances just aren't there mate.
like I said SRT is a different sort of player ... who goes about dissecting the opposition in a different manner .... although he is capable of batting like Sehwag he chooses not to as that is his role and he prefers to bat that way.
So SRT can bat like Sehwag and change his tempo as well but Sehwag is the most destructive and most brutal? You're plainly contradicting yourself. I doubt this will change your mind but I really hope you read the following with an open mind: 1. When batting in England where conditions help bowlers as well as batsmen, Sehwag has played in : 7 ODIs with an average of 26 and 1 score of over 50. 2. Against top quality opposition ( I think you mentioned the Aussies ) in Australia, Sehwag has played: 10 ODIs with an average of 18 and 0 scores of over 50. 3. In South Africa who also have had a good bowling lineup with bouncy tracks, Sehwag has played: 7 ODIs with an average of 15 and 0 scores of over 50. I understand I'm generalizing a bit when talking about the conditions but relatively speaking, it's true. So in combination, across his career when playing against those three nations on away tours: Sehwag has an average of 19 with only one 50 in 24 matches. http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/35263.html?class=2;home_or_away=2;opposition=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;template=results;type=batting;view=cumulative Oh but he does have a high strike rate, I'll give you that. The most destructive batsmen ever? I think not. Again, I love the way he plays and really, really, hope he can continue his good form but the most destructive batsmen ever DOES NOT average less than 20 with only one score of 50 when playing away from home against decent to great ODI teams like England/South Africa/Australia. Now lets look at someone who's also opened for India on a lot of foreign tours to those same countries at the same time as Sehwag. Take a look at Ganguly. I'm not big fan of Ganguly but against England/South Africa/Australia in the same time frame his average is almost twice better than Sehwags (35) with almost the same strike rate and 9 scores of 50 or better. http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/28779.html?class=2;home_or_away=2;opposition=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;spanmin1=15+Dec+1999;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting;view=cumulative"]Sehwag stats

Let's do another comparison: As I said in my previous post, Sehwag has an average of 19 with only one 50 in 24 matches against England/South Africa/Australia on foreign tours there where you see tracks that help bowlers as well. http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/35263.html?class=2;home_or_away=2;opposition=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;template=results;type=batting;view=cumulative I've already compared him to Ganguly who has a much better average and plenty more 50's, 100's when opening in the same time frame against those same three treams. Now let's look at why SRT is such a fantastic batsmen. Let's take his performances against those same three teams, on foreign tours in the same time frame because he's also opened or played at number 3 in those same matches. SRT has a phenomenal average of 45, in with the same strike rate as sehwag, and 11 scores of 50 or better. http://stats.cricinfo.com/statsguru/engine/player/35320.html?class=2;home_or_away=2;opposition=1;opposition=2;opposition=3;spanmin1=05+Oct+2001;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting;view=cumulative That pretty much blows the argument "Sehwag being the most destructive batsmen ever" to hell.

To be fair' date=' you really cant compare anyone with SRT......[/quote'] I also compared him to Ganguly but I take your point. I think the title and posts of this thread need to be clarified stating that Sehwag is one of the most destructive Test Players which is the more accurate statement. Like I keep saying I really hope Sehwag can continue his brilliant run of form in the ODI format but against quality opposition in non flat tracks he's failed poorly again and again. I do hope though that his current good form includes him the test squad where I think we need him as the opener.