Sachin behind Raina's promotion to #3

KARACHI - Indian batting maestro Sachin Tendulkar has brought to bear his weight on Team India and it has already started to produce the desired results. It was Tendulkar’s persistence which led to left-hander Suresh Raina promoted to number three spot in the Asia Cup group match against Pakistan here on Thursday. India, chasing 300 for a win, were off to a poor start but then Raina (84) along with opener Virender Sehwag (119), put on 198 runs for the second wicket to put the issue beyond doubt for the visitors. Raina accomplished his runs from a mere 69 balls and hit 10 fours and three sixes during his magnificent knock. Tendulkar apparently believes that Raina is a cut-out material for India’s answer to number three spot, not only in one-dayers but also in Test matches. Tendulkar had first mooted the idea of Raina at number three during the VB Series in Australia last season but then the left-hander wasn’t picked at all during the triangular. Raina is back in frame, riding on the good impression he created during the Indian Premier League, and finally managing a century when he cracked one against Hong Kong in a Asia Cup league match here on Wednesday. Tendulkar, who is nursing his groin injury and is not part of the squad, called up coach Gary Kirsten on Wednesday evening who later had a word with skipper Mahinder Singh Dhoni on Raina’s elevation. Tendulkar is not only the most successful one-day batsman ever - 16,361 runs from 417 matches with 42 centuries at an average of 44.34 - he was also instrumental in Dhoni bagging the one-day captaincy last season. Dhoni yielded to Tendulkar’s request and duly informed Raina of the change in his batting slot. The crux of Tendulkar’s argument in favour of Raina is that left-handed batsmen are usually suited at number three slot and the Uttar Pradesh youngster could be a good bet for a long-term investment. Tendulkar backed up his argument with the observation that most fast bowlers in international cricket are usually right-handers who have difficulty in adjusting to their lines while bowling to left-handers. Indian fast bowlers themselves struggle bowling to left-handers a fact which is readily acknowledged by youngster Sreesanth. Right-hand fast bowlers need to adjust their field as well as their line, with the ever-present danger of a leg-before decision unlikely to go in their favour. Tendulkar cited the example of Kumar Sangakkara, Justin Langer, Shivnaraine Chanderpaul to buttress his argument. Raina made an immediate impression during his explosive knock, the fifth time he has batted at number three during his career of 40 one-day matches. Raina has made 175 runs at number three in five innings, at an average of 35.00. Overall, he has made 847 runs from 40 matches. http://www.khaleejtimes.com/DisplayArticleNew.asp?xfile=data/sports/2008/June/sports_June883.xml&section=sports&col=

Raina was Young when he was first blooded in the team india...and performed well in patches...But His stint at domestic season for two years...did well for him it seems.. he has come out with stronger body..more agility on the field...with more positive attitude..and greater range of shots..and ofcourse with no complacency as well...i hope. The Raina Re-loaded is kind of player...whose innings building capabilities we are yet to see ...so i guess..in important matches...but we will not stop to a grinding halt even if we are reduced to 10/2 and he is around.. But this raises one more question.. Is God planning to drastically cut down on his ODI matches...??? if Raina becomes a permanent fixture at number 3...then obviously this means Gambhir as opener... in a way...we are smoothly going through the transition period..so far it is good... i hope the transition in tests be as smooth as it is in ODIs...

It was Tendulkar’s persistence mere presence which led to left-hander Suresh Raina promoted to number three spot in the Asia Cup group match against Pakistan here on Thursday.
Corrected @flamy: Yes, noted the leader of the consortium of dupe id :)

Raina certainly poses a lot more options in #3. I would keep our batting line up very flexible. The only 3 spots that should be firm are #1 Sehwag #2 Gambhir #4 Yuvraj (on most cases, unless we are 3 wkts down early in the power play) Rest of them should bat according to situation. I would like left-right combination. We need to make sure we take advantage of power plays. So I would have 4 players who would play the most of the power play. They would be Sehwag, Gambhir, Y.Pathan & Raina. If Sehwag goes early, I would bring Yusuf Pathan (Right hander) If Gambhir goes early, I would bring Raina (Left Hander) If there are flurry of wkts early (both openers) and we need to stabilize, I would bring in Rohit Sharma. With Raina coming good at #3, it poses a welcome challenge for Rohit Sharma. If he does not come before #5, it does not make sense to have him on the team