Srilanka and their strategy

Srilanka rested Vaas and more importanly Mendis... to keep Mendis as a susprise elemnt against India.. They diid something like this in the worldcup.. rested Murali in the super eight match against Aus so Aussies dont get used to Mruali when they face them in the semis or finals... by that time both were through to the semis... But this strategy dint work well for the lankans as in the Finals..Australia thrashed Murali M Muralitharan 7 0 44 0 6.28 It might be that aussies already know how murali bowls and murali has a worse record agaisnt the Ozs.... But What wil happen this time..?? will Mendis surprise the Indians or the Indians will surprise Mendis?? In my opinion, we always tend to be magnamious to the newbies and gift them wkts and let them prosper.. :nervous: what do u think guys?? will SL's strategy work this time?

It was a cunning move on SL's part. They "rested" Vaas and Mendis for a purpose. I have my reservations on how the Indian openers can handle Vaas, they'll be under a false sense of confidence now. Also, Mendis is a completely new variable in the middle overs. SL want the Asia Cup and they are using all their resources magnificiently. This was pure strategy. Gotta give it to the Lankans :hatsoff:

actually batting first will be our best bet.... without any pressure of any run chase..and Run Rate. i am not sure..how much of a danger this Mendis chap would be on flat pitches. we played Murli quite well...despite our Lads tired like hell.... a refreshed and rejuvenated team india..will do better...we just need to pick the right team for Finals.. we have seen that 5 bowlers or 4 bowlers...our bowlers have conceded 300+ runs...as has all the teams.. so YKP at number 7 and IKP at 8 would an ideal team for finals... Lets see what happens...

i dont think ykp is worth it..this would be my lineup gg sehwag yuvi - yes, at 3, he needs to be settled once spinners come on raina dhoni sharma irfan chawla - i'd gamble with him, they dont have a leggie, perhaps he can be the surprise element? praveen rp singh ishant i'd like to swap out irfan for gony/ojha, but with the mendis+murali factor, i'd want to play safe and opt for an extra half-decent bat. i would have gone for ykp if he had done anything at all in this tourney...

i dont think ykp is worth it..this would be my lineup gg sehwag yuvi - yes, at 3, he needs to be settled once spinners come on raina dhoni sharma irfan chawla - i'd gamble with him, they dont have a leggie, perhaps he can be the surprise element? praveen rp singh ishant i'd like to swap out irfan for gony/ojha, but with the mendis+murali factor, i'd want to play safe and opt for an extra half-decent bat. i would have gone for ykp if he had done anything at all in this tourney...
Yusuf mudered Murali in the IPL. Also if you are going with Chawla, it's sensible to have Ojha in there too. Also, yesterday's batting order would do: GG Viru Raina Dhoni Yuvi Sharma Irfan/Yusuf Ojha Praveen/Chawla RP Ishant PK is a waste of space if you don't give him the new ball. We can gamble with Chawla in his place or we can bring Yusuf in his place and keep Irfan too. Knowing Dhoni, he will not drop Irfan.
Yusuf mudered Murali in the IPL. Also if you are going with Chawla, it's sensible to have Ojha in there too. Also, yesterday's batting order would do: GG Viru Raina Dhoni Yuvi Sharma Irfan/Yusuf Ojha Praveen/Chawla RP Ishant PK is a waste of space if you don't give him the new ball. We can gamble with Chawla in his place or we can bring Yusuf in his place and keep Irfan too. Knowing Dhoni, he will not drop Irfan.
yusuf did well against murali in IPL but that was a whole different ball game .I think the batsmen dont value their wicket as much in T20 as they do in ODI's-this might be yusuf's problem-how to get singles inODI/s and rotate the strike before launching the bad balls.He has got chances but so far has not figured it out.
yusuf did well against murali in IPL but that was a whole different ball game .I think the batsmen dont value their wicket as much in T20 as they do in ODI's-this might be yusuf's problem-how to get singles inODI/s and rotate the strike before launching the bad balls.He has got chances but so far has not figured it out.
actually he hasn't batted much, y'knoe.

if yusuf is picked, and he under performs...and we lose...it would be safe to assume his career would be over. this would put a lot of pressure on him and thereby increase his chances of failing. also, i picked chawla over ojha simply because hes a leggie and the lankans dont have any leggies and havent played him before. could backfire though because he had sanga and mahela in his ipl teams...so they prolly know how to tackle him. maybe we should go with both spinners? middle overs seem to be the key in this tournament. also, i have a feeling the pitch for the finals may get spiced up...so dhoni will have to make a decision on the day

Mods, pls dont merge this thread with the other thread on SL underperforming... ps.. jus saying as the mod whoever it is , has the habit of ridiculously merging threads as they wish....:D
Yes, in general, leave threads without merging as far as possible.
if yusuf is picked, and he under performs...and we lose...it would be safe to assume his career would be over. this would put a lot of pressure on him and thereby increase his chances of failing. also, i picked chawla over ojha simply because hes a leggie and the lankans dont have any leggies and havent played him before. could backfire though because he had sanga and mahela in his ipl teams...so they prolly know how to tackle him. maybe we should go with both spinners? middle overs seem to be the key in this tournament. also, i have a feeling the pitch for the finals may get spiced up...so dhoni will have to make a decision on the day
Yeah...it is going to be very tricky for MSD...hopefully Mr.Cool MSD picks the right team...and even important...wins the toss...:pray:
Yuvraj shouldnt bat much lower down the order if batting first. Stroke maker liek him should bat at 3 or 4 the max.
I think Yuvraj should get used to the medium pace b4 he faces spin..i.e. when he gets settled he can play the spin very well... so i think they should send him 1 down or 2 down and raina and dhoni shud take care of murali...

I don't think India should be worried. I'm a sri lankan fan and I registered to get some views on what India feels about SL. I aint feeling the love! India will win this bout hands down. Yeah, we have Vaas, Murali and Mendis and? India's top 5 average over 50 and have a SR over 100 except for Dhoni...hmmm....If Sana fires and the middle order scores then yes, we have a chance. btw, why is ojha in the team intead of Chawla?

I didn't like it. I reckon it'll backfire on us [i'm sri lankan btw] just like the wc07. India will just decimate us. I'm hoping they wont but whats the point in hoping if there is no way we could India. Actually, the only way we'll beat India is if Sanath fires and mendis, vaas and murali concede only 4.5 rpo in their full quota of ten overs.

Welcome...Aman... Hey Buddy..None of US here..HATE SriLanka... Sri Lanka is a well respected team in international cricket..they get the same respect here as well.. its just that Surya always scores against India...:--D
No.. I hate srilanka... i hate them so much.. they r an over rated team. sub-continental flat track bullies....