Must-read article on Rohit Sharma

Building on the learning curve He has an uncomplicated technique, an assured defence, a range of strokes, and the rare gift of being able to play the ball late - and now an opportunity to display them on the biggest stage. Nagraj Gollapudi July 8, 2008 Rohit Sharma has taken his elevation to India's Test squad with the composure that has been the defining feature of his batting. He didn't expect the call so early, he says, but he isn't unprepared for the challenge. In fact, he was told to stay ready by none other than Gary Kirsten, the coach. "He believes I can do well in all formats of the game and has shown a lot of confidence in me," Rohit said. Kirsten wasn't alone. Some senior players had hinted to him during the Asia Cup that he might get picked and suggested he remain focused. Rohit has what it takes to build a career in the longer form of the game: an uncomplicated technique, an assured defence, a range of strokes, and the rare gift of being able to play the ball late. What remains unproven, though, is his ability to construct long innings. After his success in the World Twenty20 last year, his first taste of the big time, he struggled during the domestic season, with a highest score of 62 in five Ranji Trophy games. At times when Mumbai needed him to stay put, he fell to indifferent shots and a fragile mindset. He admits now that he could have done more. "It was not a great domestic season for me. I was not converting scores. I've become more mature. Things will be different and the result will be different in future." His strength of character was on display in the CB Series. In the first final, he scored 66 and shared a 123-run match-winning partnership with Sachin Tendulkar. He ended fourth among India's run-scorers for the tournament and ninth overall. Rohit feels he was successful in Australia because he got a chance to bat up the order. "I batted even ahead of Yuvi [Yuvraj Singh]. It was a huge responsibility but the captain showed faith in me and I had to prove him correct." The national selectors have now picked Rohit over Yuvraj - and also over Suresh Raina, who averaged 74.40 from six matches in the Asia Cup. "Rohit has a better technique to deal with all sorts of bowling, while Raina is still susceptible to the short ball," :two_thumbs_up:a national selector said. The maturity he gained in Australia kept Rohit in good stead during the IPL, where he became a dependable batsman for the Deccan Chargers. He focused more on converting starts and playing maturely, even as the more experienced hands - Herschelle Gibbs, Shahid Afridi - around him failed. But he also learnt from these players. "There were many seniors in the Hyderabad team who told me how to approach an innings, how to build an innings in all forms of the game," he said. The most important tip came from the Deccan captain, Adam Gilchrist. "He [Gilchrist] said you should never give away your wicket if you are is good form, and he told me to maintain my form even if I failed in the odd game because when you are in form you can change the game." Rohit knows being consistent is easier said than done, but fortunately for him, adaptability is one of his strengths - one that those who know him will vouch for. "He has the right balance between his ability to strike the ball cleanly and having a good temperament," said Praveen Amre, the Mumbai coach. "He has proved it in the shorter forms of the game and even in first-class cricket. " Amre said the Test call-up was an important step for Rohit and that it will be the best learning process of his career. Rohit himself understands that he will mostly be an understudy on the Sri Lanka tour, but he has set himself certain goals. "Obviously I am not expecting to play in the team, but being around senior players will help me in my experience: how they prepare, how they play, how they approach a Test. So I will be definitely learning many things even if I don't get to play." Above all, he is looking to build on his learning curve. For the moment, though, he is looking to enjoy what he calls the "biggest news of my life". Nagraj Gollapudi is an assistant editor at Cricinfo © Cricinfo ========================================================== I hope Dravid or Ganguly gets injured or something so that Rohit will get a chance to play in the sri lankan series.

Building on the learning curve He has an uncomplicated technique, an assured defence, a range of strokes, and the rare gift of being able to play the ball late - and now an opportunity to display them on the biggest stage. Nagraj Gollapudi July 8, 2008 Rohit Sharma has taken his elevation to India's Test squad with the composure that has been the defining feature of his batting. He didn't expect the call so early, he says, but he isn't unprepared for the challenge. In fact, he was told to stay ready by none other than Gary Kirsten, the coach. "He believes I can do well in all formats of the game and has shown a lot of confidence in me," Rohit said. Kirsten wasn't alone. Some senior players had hinted to him during the Asia Cup that he might get picked and suggested he remain focused. Rohit has what it takes to build a career in the longer form of the game: an uncomplicated technique, an assured defence, a range of strokes, and the rare gift of being able to play the ball late. What remains unproven, though, is his ability to construct long innings. After his success in the World Twenty20 last year, his first taste of the big time, he struggled during the domestic season, with a highest score of 62 in five Ranji Trophy games. At times when Mumbai needed him to stay put, he fell to indifferent shots and a fragile mindset. He admits now that he could have done more. "It was not a great domestic season for me. I was not converting scores. I've become more mature. Things will be different and the result will be different in future." His strength of character was on display in the CB Series. In the first final, he scored 66 and shared a 123-run match-winning partnership with Sachin Tendulkar. He ended fourth among India's run-scorers for the tournament and ninth overall. Rohit feels he was successful in Australia because he got a chance to bat up the order. "I batted even ahead of Yuvi [Yuvraj Singh]. It was a huge responsibility but the captain showed faith in me and I had to prove him correct." The national selectors have now picked Rohit over Yuvraj - and also over Suresh Raina, who averaged 74.40 from six matches in the Asia Cup. "Rohit has a better technique to deal with all sorts of bowling, while Raina is still susceptible to the short ball," :two_thumbs_up:a national selector said. The maturity he gained in Australia kept Rohit in good stead during the IPL, where he became a dependable batsman for the Deccan Chargers. He focused more on converting starts and playing maturely, even as the more experienced hands - Herschelle Gibbs, Shahid Afridi - around him failed. But he also learnt from these players. "There were many seniors in the Hyderabad team who told me how to approach an innings, how to build an innings in all forms of the game," he said. The most important tip came from the Deccan captain, Adam Gilchrist. "He [Gilchrist] said you should never give away your wicket if you are is good form, and he told me to maintain my form even if I failed in the odd game because when you are in form you can change the game." Rohit knows being consistent is easier said than done, but fortunately for him, adaptability is one of his strengths - one that those who know him will vouch for. "He has the right balance between his ability to strike the ball cleanly and having a good temperament," said Praveen Amre, the Mumbai coach. "He has proved it in the shorter forms of the game and even in first-class cricket. " Amre said the Test call-up was an important step for Rohit and that it will be the best learning process of his career. Rohit himself understands that he will mostly be an understudy on the Sri Lanka tour, but he has set himself certain goals. "Obviously I am not expecting to play in the team, but being around senior players will help me in my experience: how they prepare, how they play, how they approach a Test. So I will be definitely learning many things even if I don't get to play." Above all, he is looking to build on his learning curve. For the moment, though, he is looking to enjoy what he calls the "biggest news of my life". Nagraj Gollapudi is an assistant editor at Cricinfo © Cricinfo ========================================================== I hope Dravid or Ganguly gets injured or something so that Rohit will get a chance to play in the sri lankan series.
:whatchutalkingaboutShocking!