Indians lack in mental strength?

Sure we are not one of the top 3 odi sides in the world but we are not that poor to lose 18 off 22 finals with only 2 wins. Is it the lack of mental toughness and inability to cope up with big game pressure? or is it the bookies? Can't just let the fate to turn things around. Its a similar frusturation for Toronto Maple leafs fan but they kindaa suck big time now. Discuss

'Lack of killer instinct' was the word used to read in the sports pages of every newspapers about 4-5 years ago...now its no more there. If at al anything,there's too much of KI. Hopefully we'll rectify our inability to win crucial matches,in the near future itself.

Among all the opinions hurled all over the place against the players, I heard a common phrase time and again – “killer instinct”. They called it attitude – they called it guts – they called it body language - they called it strength – but they all were hinting at one thing : Indians just aint that strong enough mentally to take on big challenges. "Oh come on", they said, "history is the witness. Look at 2003 world cup. Look at any major final of a cricket tournament. Indians give up on the fight long before the game is over Some call it the colonial hangover, still extant amongst us Indians – some called it self-contentment. Call it what you want, but our culture does not teach us to dream big. It teaches us to be satisfied with what we have – some one dreaming to be a Roger Federer is more often than not, laughed at. We are asked to be practical – not dreamers. There is a reason the film fare awards in India go to the most romantic movies and the Oscars always has had a soft corner for the underdogs who make it big in life . We emphasize way too much on heart and less on mental strength. Well, things are moving ahead, India is shining, but the thing is almost all developed countries are 10 years ahead of us in terms of development. We take pride in the fact that the Mittals, Tatas, Ambanis and Birlas have an Indian passport, but from whatever I could come up with after thinking about this for a while, the Nooyis and Kidwais and Murthys and Permjis are more of exceptions than trends. For now, Indian team will soon be on a flight home and we will still be discussing what went wrong and people will still be dying of hunger, poverty and diseases daily in India. Well, all that can wait, what we really need to know is how can Sachin ever get out for a duck and how much are the sponsors losing? Dhoni is playing with my emotions for God sakes!!! Sad but ttrue, when will we display such a passion for a better life? Only time will tell.
Courtesy:dollydwivedi blogspot
'Lack of killer instinct' was the word used to read in the sports pages of every newspapers about 4-5 years ago...now its no more there. If at al anything,there's too much of KI. Hopefully we'll rectify our inability to win crucial matches,in the near future itself.
It's not that teams of past havent showed improvement but the end result is the same. We might win a series here to there but losing finals haven't changed much.
indians don't go for the kill, they are complacent they should be as active and aggressive(not verbally) as the aussies or south africans they need to back their abilities, and believe that they can win each and every game
indians are docile creatures-in all walks of life and this is true of our cricketers too.
As long we have mentally weak players like the Yuvi' date=' who fold at the first sign of swing/spin, we will remain so[/quote'] I would agree. He has been a disappointment in Finals. He has choked at a lot of finals lately. But I am sure one man didnt led to the downfall of our other 10 men cuz if thats the case..WHAT ARE TEHY PAID FOR? Dont tell me the team is dependent on just him. The others have sucked big time as well. But me being a yuvi fan is disappointed with his finals record lately. Last time before cb series when we won a final was due to yuvi and kaif and that seems ages away. Indians have no guts to win big games it seems.
If mental strength were such an issue' date='we would not have gone toe to toe with the greatest test side of our era who were not only brilliant at playing cricket but also at mentally disintegrating the opposition.[/quote'] Just keeping it to Finals when the heat is really on. Cb series is an exception of the entire Indian cricket history.Even in that if you notice, it wasnt a do or die day for India in both finals so maybe that helped.
I have been hearing since 2001 that we are improving and now our team is the best blah blah...But whats the point of havign a good team, if we cant bring cups home? I am not asing to win every cup but atleast 50% of the finals we go in. Right now its 9%...pathetic...
so u mean beause we are losing finalz, we should quit playing cricket?? haa, what you mean by "what's the point of having good team" if there's no such thing, then should we quit playing cricket? The reason why our performance hasn't been good in finalz is because we never had decent bowlers to perform int he big final. even the successful chase @ natwest 2002 might have been lost by our bowlers. we did give 300+ in that too. our bowling has never been upto the mark. it still continues to be, but standard seems to be improving, and am sure we would be winning more finalz in future. just wait.
so u mean beause we are losing finalz, we should quit playing cricket?? haa, what you mean by "what's the point of having good team" if there's no such thing, then should we quit playing cricket? The reason why our performance hasn't been good in finalz is because we never had decent bowlers to perform int he big final. even the successful chase @ natwest 2002 might have been lost by our bowlers. we did give 300+ in that too. our bowling has never been upto the mark. it still continues to be, but standard seems to be improving, and am sure we would be winning more finalz in future. just wait.
No we shouldnt quit playign cricket. The cricket fever is so bad in India, even if we try to , it wont happen. My point is yes we have to keep improving our team but it defeats the purpose if we win tournaments at 9% ....I mean.... if we sow something, DONT YOU WANNA REAP?
Just keeping it to Finals when the heat is really on. Cb series is an exception of the entire Indian cricket history.Even in that if you notice, it wasnt a do or die day for India in both finals so maybe that helped.
I wasn't talking about ODI cricket. I'm talking about test cricket which takes much more mental strength and stamina. My point is that if our cricketers were mentally fragile, we would not have such an impressive record against the Aussies in test cricket over the past decade.
Why is that smaller nations like lanka, nz can win more tournaments? and we keep blamign our bowlers whereas we have the most infrastructure and people to play cricket. HOWEVER THE POINT IS NOT THAT..YOU ARE MISSING THE BOAT. We play well to reach the finals. BUT WE DIE when the going gets the toughest..IE THE FINALS.