Indians, Indians Everywhere

I'd like to echo similar sentiments. It's embarrassing to see Indians cluttering up every damn cricket-related website with their contentious comments. Their actions smack of desperation, a feeling of insecurity which pervades their psyche as they cry out for attention in the hope that their heroes - the ones they follow with near religious devotion - receive the same kind of acknowledgement from the foreigners as they would be accorded back home in India. After all, a foreigner's vote of confidence counts 10x as much as an Indian's, right ? You would certainly think so when you read their posts. God knows when they will lose their inferiority complex. ...and Harsha Bhogle is rather irritating as a commentator, completely bereft of the charisma and the on-screen presence you would look for in a television personality. Yours lovingly, Predator_05 (Yank passport) LOLZ

Explaining would unfortunately take the fun out of it, but since you insist...for the same reason that the imaginery fellow who formed my second example, wrote (living in the UK) next to his name. Many Indians like to be let known that they live overseas, and are doing extremely well for themselves, but stiffen at the first criticism of anything Indian, particularly by the foreign media. There's schzophrenic behaviour there, something that typifies us as a community. We take pride in living away from the mess, with a few honourable exceptions, and yet lose it promptly when somebody questions the greatness of our heroes.
And how is that schizophrenic? They live abroad for several reasons and I have no complaint if they have chosen to do that. But do they lose their right to defend their country because of that? Why should they not defend their country of origin? If I am staying abroad and someone comes and says anything negative about my country, I will present arguments to the best of my knowledge and will try to defend my country. What makes that schizophrenic? If an Indian living abroad defends India against negative criticism, that makes him schizophrenic?
Your impression would be wrong. I dislike the chest beating, salary toting, house-in-square-foot comparing, son-in-private-school swaggering, my BMW trumps your Honda hands down kind of Indian, who makes a face & wrinkles his nose every time he disembarks at Calcutta, but then goes back and shoots off a letter to Fortune because they left out Wipro from their top 500 companies. Other than that, I am OK with Indians.
lol.Fair enough.Unfortunately that also describes most emigrants who go back to india.I think its good that they feel they should be patriotic in some way-even if its misguided,its a start.
I'd like to echo similar sentiments. It's embarrassing to see Indians cluttering up every damn cricket-related website with their contentious comments. Their actions smack of desperation, a feeling of insecurity which pervades their psyche as they cry out for attention in the hope that their heroes - the ones they follow with near religious devotion - receive the same kind of acknowledgement from the foreigners as they would be accorded back home in India. After all, a foreigner's vote of confidence counts 10x as much as an Indian's, right ? You would certainly think so when you read their posts. God knows when they will lose their inferiority complex. ...and Harsha Bhogle is rather irritating as a commentator, completely bereft of the charisma and the on-screen presence you would look for in a television personality. Yours lovingly, Predator_05 (Yank passport) LOLZ
Those are different subjects Predator. Presenting unreasonable argumenst make you look stupid. But its a poll. Its not a forum of debate. Commentary is all about enjoyment and quite a lot of people enjoy what Bhogle tells them. I dont see anything wrong in people voting for their favorite. I have no doubt that 95% people voted for their favorites and not who is the best. Polls never draw a correct conclusion. They always draw a popular conclusion. And Harsha is popular. Now, befire Dhondy asks again, let me say that I have not voted in that poll and if I had voted, it would not have been Harsha.
If an Indian living abroad defends India against negative criticism, that makes him schizophrenic?
No, but believing you are better than those living at home, does. If you ever despaired that your friends were moving abroad, while your visa refused to come through, that makes you schizoid (not you personally). You can't on one hand, pine at leaving a country to escape its poverty and despair, and in the same breath, turn around and sing paens of its greatness, particularly when even an one eyed captain flint can see that the person you espouse has no greatness to speak of, and is only being talked up because he was born in the same country as you.
You can't on one hand, pine at leaving a country to escape its poverty and despair, and in the same breath, turn around and sing paens of its greatness, particularly when even an one eyed captain flint can see that the person you espouse has no greatness to speak of, and is only being talked up because he was born in the same country as you.
Dhondy, Harsha's popularity stems from a few more factors - he became the poster boy of Indian commentary at a time when there were very few even decent Indian commentators, not that there are many even now. Plus the tag of an IIM graduate giving up life in the corporate world to write and speak on cricket and having no cricketing pedigree of his own made him unique and a lot of Indians just went for it blindly.
Guest dada_rocks
Your comparisions are funny Dhondy. Harsha Bhogle and Nixon? Are you out of your mind? How can 'Harsha Bhogle is the best commentator' be compared to 'NIxon is the greatest political leader'? You really believe what you said makes sense?
He means he has serious reservation about that poll verdict unless indians fall in line he will keep calling them parochial .. Totally oblivious of forcing his own parochialism down everyone's throat.. Because he starts with one assumption in this episode that his own views are fair not jandice in any way whatsoever..... If u buy this assumption then all makes sense otherwise it's all the same BTW I am reasonably certain those guys who are being lambasted if u ask them they too weave their thought process with the same assumption of their own impartiality..
Guest dada_rocks
Don't you guys know? Only Indians are biased. When the Aussies proclaim Ponting to be the best or the English claim KP to be #1, they are being 100% unbiased and us Indians should bow to their superior judgement and lap up, without question, their 'unbiased' opinion. :laugh: For every Indian claiming a fellow countryman to be #1, there will be 10 other Indians pulling that Indian down. Among Indians, it's cool to have Warne as your favourite but beware if you publicly claim Kumble as your favourite. People will bombard you with Kumble's faults and laugh and judge you for having that 'loser' as your favourite. Yours humbly(head bowed and all), Gambit (Bharat Ganarajya passport)
:hysterical: BTW what is with all of you singing off with passport details
Dhondy' date=' Harsha's popularity stems from a few more factors - he became the poster boy of Indian commentary at a time when there were very few even decent Indian commentators, not that there are many even now. Plus the tag of an IIM graduate giving up life in the corporate world to write and speak on cricket and having no cricketing pedigree of his own made him unique and a lot of Indians just went for it blindly.[/quote'] Talks way too much for TV, makes smarmy comments, seriously unfunny jokes, and tries and passes off his opinion as gospel. You come away thinking, "Cor..this chap loves the sound of his own voice, doesn't he?" His commentary reflects a complete lack of insight and intelligence, bugger IIM.
Who are you agreeing with?
dhondy i'm just saying that WE indians get very emotional when someone "disses" our players. We start abusing them,etc. And ofcourse, indians in india will vote for an indian. Dont expect them to watch the ashes or the chappel hadley trophy to gain knowledge abt other respected commentators. You knw it as well as I do that sunil gavaskar in the top 10 is a disgrace.

I wonder why CI pointed out that the voters in the poll were largely Indian. Perhaps to mitigate the result lest English or Aussie fans are left aghast. I bet you had Benaud won and had a majority of the voters been Aussie, CI would not have divulged this information.

I wonder why CI pointed out that the voters in the poll were largely Indian. Perhaps to mitigate the result lest English or Aussie fans are left aghast. I bet you had Benaud won and had a majority of the voters been Aussie' date=' CI would not have divulged this information.[/quote'] Very true. There have been several polls, I would love to see what the results have been and if CI has categorically mentioned where the voters were from.
He means he has serious reservation about that poll verdict unless indians fall in line he will keep calling them parochial .. Totally oblivious of forcing his own parochialism down everyone's throat.. Because he starts with one assumption in this episode that his own views are fair not jandice in any way whatsoever..... If u buy this assumption then all makes sense otherwise it's all the same BTW I am reasonably certain those guys who are being lambasted if u ask them they too weave their thought process with the same assumption of their own impartiality..
Actually, Dada, you got support coming up. On the other thread, Amits is advocating the cause of various Dilli born players over Bradman.
dhondy i'm just saying that WE indians get very emotional when someone "disses" our players. We start abusing them,etc. And ofcourse, indians in india will vote for an indian. Dont expect them to watch the ashes or the chappel hadley trophy to gain knowledge abt other respected commentators. You knw it as well as I do that sunil gavaskar in the top 10 is a disgrace.
No it's not. I haven't yet scrutinised the chosen 10 yet but Sunny is a very very good commentator. The way he explains the subtle batting techniques is excellent and unlike 90% of the commentator, he isn't afraid to speak his mind and knows how to take a stand.
Talks way too much for TV, makes smarmy comments, seriously unfunny jokes, and tries and passes off his opinion as gospel. You come away thinking, "Cor..this chap loves the sound of his own voice, doesn't he?" His commentary reflects a complete lack of insight and intelligence, bugger IIM.
You are 100% correct, but you have think of it from the average Indian psyche where IIM is given a demi God status.