Indians, Indians Everywhere

Harsha Bhogle coming ahead of Richie Benaud is a joke, and I hope this survey is not a "representative sample" of cricket fans all over. If it is a representative sample, then it denotes nothing but an alarming drop in the tastes of fans. Benaud can make one enjoy the commentary more than cricket, Bhogle can make one rush for the remote mute button after a while.
Richie Beanaud is the finest TV commentator ever...no two opinions abt that.If you have been following Channel-9 of late,can definitely feel the age catching up the doyen.As some one in this very forum pointed out sometime back,he's more of a guest commentator nowadays

Dhondy, Is it clear that most of the voters were Indians living abroad? If not, and most of the Indians living in India have voted then the result seems just about correct. Because, how many Indians in India hear Benaud, Artherton and others? How many people watch non Indian cricket matches? And when they don't hear those commentators, how can they vote for them? Indians have unfortunately very little choice and out of Bhogle, Lal, L Shiva, Atul Wassan and Shastri, of course Bhogle and Shastri would come on top. To be honest, I hear the commentary of Indian matches only when the ESPN team is doing it. I'm sick of these Neo Sports commentators. I suppose you have to weigh all probabilities before saying that Indians are one-eyed in this poll case.

To be honest, I hear the commentary of Indian matches only when the ESPN team is doing it. I'm sick of these Neo Sports commentators. I suppose you have to weigh all probabilities before saying that Indians are one-eyed in this poll case.
may be you would have to for once admire the future neo sports commentators as sunny and ravi have decided to work with them now. their contract with espnstar is over and they won't commentate on espnstar anymore. also, u might see sunny and ravi commentating during India-Aus test series.

DomainK has put some very good points, appreciate that. :two_thumbs_up: In fact Internet basesd Cricket websites have a very good following in India. So you see Indians are fast catching up even here and "unfortunately" due to large number they will outdo any other group. Most office going folks/at workplace follow Cricket through internet. Some offices even block Cricinfo during matches, becuase of rise in traffic on their company servers. So me thinks, the majority of people voting in such polls are heathen Indians -- who haven't been lucky enough to change the color of "Passport" and/or secure an IT-coolie job in west, obviously they lack any senility and political correctness in their views due to their non-exposer of Western PCness and this is reflected while voting, hai na?-- this should be a sufficient ground to stone them with fatwaa of being parochialism. Wait a moment, I also hate Ekta Kapoor serials instead prefer to tune in News and Infotainment coz I am a self-proclaimed high and senile thinker of politics and startegic issue, and that makes my parents parochial coz they love Saas Bahu and Astha type channels -- waah waah, education and exposer to western "unbaised" thinking has truelly made a great Indian out of me.:dance:

Here is why I think Harsha Bhogle's Number 1 voted position is justified from heathen Indian POV of course. He is an MBA , has a sense of humour combined with good authority over English language. As a person Harsha Bhogle has never played Cricket, so for such a guy making his presence felt in commentary box is no small feat, if one try to see it this way removing lenses of "puritanic commentary" perhaps like many other "Parochials" one might end up voting him. And yes, any kind of non-scientific web poll relating to Cricket will be biased in favor of Indians given the sheer number of cricket fans from India vis-a-vis from other countries.

Dhondy, Is it clear that most of the voters were Indians living abroad? If not, and most of the Indians living in India have voted then the result seems just about correct. Because, how many Indians in India hear Benaud, Artherton and others? How many people watch non Indian cricket matches? And when they don't hear those commentators, how can they vote for them? Indians have unfortunately very little choice and out of Bhogle, Lal, L Shiva, Atul Wassan and Shastri, of course Bhogle and Shastri would come on top. To be honest, I hear the commentary of Indian matches only when the ESPN team is doing it. I'm sick of these Neo Sports commentators. I suppose you have to weigh all probabilities before saying that Indians are one-eyed in this poll case.
So this is a poll on who is the best Indian commentator really, isn't it? Completely disingenuous to project it as an international poll.

And those who think Harsha speaks good English, have no concept of how English should be spoken really. Harsha speaks English, as defined by India's MTV roadies- a lot of words, when a few would do, without emphasis , pause or reflection- a jumble of sounds quickly articulated to convey fluency with the language, where the need is for coherence and analysis. But since this poll is by the Indians, for the Indians, of the Indians, why am I surprised?

So this is a poll on who is the best Indian commentator really, isn't it? Completely disingenuous to project it as an international poll.
Of course it is an international poll. People from every nationality are invited to give their vote. Whose fault is it if cricinfo's reach is not that great in other countries?
And those who think Harsha speaks good English, have no concept of how English should be spoken really. Harsha speaks English, as defined by India's MTV roadies- a lot of words, when a few would do, without emphasis , pause or reflection- a jumble of sounds quickly articulated to convey fluency with the language, where the need is for coherence and analysis. But since this poll is by the Indians, for the Indians, of the Indians, why am I surprised?
Well even the regular native English speakers don't really do justice to the language. Even they don't speak proper English. I don't think we need to utter or criticise Harsha on his whatever-type English. Anyway, i think he has a Fine English. Harsha might not be as big as a entertainer like Bill Lawry or Tony Greag, but he surely remains one of the better commentators who can be heard and cherised as a commentator, who can get the game goin, unlike other boring commentators like Nick Knight, Lalz and Razaz, cox N holdingz etc.

I will resort to Vedanta :-D Put it in simple words -- it's called "Taste" or "Perception", when you praise or denounce someone based on your own set of laws. Some westren educated Indians have developed ''taste" of high and deep-dive analysis, while an average Indian in the busy streets of Mumbai likes the commentary with some Masala devoid of technical jargons. Who is wrong then? Recall a Vedanta discourse, a material on Swami Vivekanada, there is a dialogue between Vivekananda and his guru Ramkrishna Paramhamsa. Vivekanada says exactly the same thing which we discussing here -- that is those who sing praises of idol are "wrong". Parmahansa says-- "wrong" and "right" is a matter of perception. Vivekanda gets rhetorical and says there is established criteria to detremine wrong and right, and it can be proved. Paramhansa says -- Why don't you examine who establised such criteria and the subject that is termed as "right" or "wrong" with everyone's perspective including those whom you perceive as wrong. Paramhansa adds an example of "Neem" leaf being chewed by a man. He says if YOU chew the NEEM leaf you will find it's taste as very bitter and can't eat more than one or two leaves and will immediately write in your record that "Neem tastes bitter". But when the same leaf is offerred to a Cow or a Goat -- they can chew an entire branch of leaves, since for them there is no bitterness in it. So who is right? YOU? It's your "taste"...you can't throw an aura of "right" or "wrong" based on your own taste. Learn to respect everyone's "perception" while you are free to have your "perception". Peace.:D In this case "cows" are in majority, hence Neem (Harsha) is not bitter, well reflected in poll :cantstop:

To those who are saying that HB is good in English: HB does not have good command over the English language. He's just got this "MBA" dangling and that makes people think he is fluent and has a good command. Unfortunately, he does not have any great insight about cricket either esp. compared to folks like Benaud, Bill Lawry et. al.

.it wouldn't compare to yours buddy, you are too polished in your words and articles. Frankly, sometimes I wonder if the average user on this site even understands each and every word ( at times, I don't ) I know it comes naturally to you but I am afraid everyone is not as talented and educated as you. Frankly, you belong elsewhere ( in terms of arguments and intellect ) Please don't take this the wrong way

Dhondy has a valid point regarding one aspect of Bhogle atleast (is he really the best in the world???). I don't see why Harsha is better than Benaud or Ian Chappell, for example. I don't think he can provide as much insight as those two. Even amongst Indians, he's neither the most insightful, nor the most entertaining. Yep, NEITHER INSIGHTFUL NOR ENTERTAINING!! The best overall Indian commentator IMO should be Sunny G. Best entertaining commentator overall = David Lloyd PS - I think we should not comment on the English of the Indian commentators, we aren't the best at it

what are we complaining here..?? Harsha was voted as the favourite commentator .. ofcourse cuz of the Large no. of Indians voting on the site.. he wasnt voted as the best... I think favouritness is very subjective and we cant question one's favourites.. and it could be due to many things which depends on one's own taste.. and if you look at the other awards..I think its quite fair that the respective winners deserve tht.. The "Most Entertaining" category saw the closest finish: Greig pipped Boycott by just three votes. David Lloyd - who is with Sky - came in third, Bhogle fourth, and Channel Nine's Bill Lawry at No. 5. Benaud was the clear winner in the "Most Unbiased" category, with Bhogle following and Shastri narrowly taking third place from Michael Holding. As may have been expected, the "Most Insightful" title was a race between Ian Chappell and Benaud. Chappell won - though not by a large margin. Bhogle was a distant third. and the above three awards were also voted by those filthy prejudiced Indians.. so wat is the whinging going on here?? :hmmmm2:

You are singling Indians out First, these polls are unscientific and insignificant (not that you didn't know that). Any conclusion about the pollers or the pollees gleaned from these polls is nonsense. This sort of "voting" parochialism happens everywhere. I compare this sort of polling with "Reality" shows on TV, where competitors depend on fan voting. If there were a "World Idol", yanks are more likely to vote for Kelly Pickler than for Hariharasubramanyaganapathi or Lakshminarasimhachari even though they know that the latter two are much better singers. For all we know, 1 desidude (maybe even one of the computer geniuses on ICF) could've hacked into the poll and flooded it with Bhogle votes, and the poll really does not reflect what Indians think, in general. The unfortunate part is that voting based on qualities other than real substance happens in the political arena, too. But, that is a discussion for another day on another forum :-).

I will resort to Vedanta :-D Put it in simple words -- it's called "Taste" or "Perception", when you praise or denounce someone based on your own set of laws. Some westren educated Indians have developed ''taste" of high and deep-dive analysis, while an average Indian in the busy streets of Mumbai likes the commentary with some Masala devoid of technical jargons. Who is wrong then? Recall a Vedanta discourse, a material on Swami Vivekanada, there is a dialogue between Vivekananda and his guru Ramkrishna Paramhamsa. Vivekanada says exactly the same thing which we discussing here -- that is those who sing praises of idol are "wrong". Parmahansa says-- "wrong" and "right" is a matter of perception. Vivekanda gets rhetorical and says there is established criteria to detremine wrong and right, and it can be proved. Paramhansa says -- Why don't you examine who establised such criteria and the subject that is termed as "right" or "wrong" with everyone's perspective including those whom you perceive as wrong. Paramhansa adds an example of "Neem" leaf being chewed by a man. He says if YOU chew the NEEM leaf you will find it's taste as very bitter and can't eat more than one or two leaves and will immediately write in your record that "Neem tastes bitter". But when the same leaf is offerred to a Cow or a Goat -- they can chew an entire branch of leaves, since for them there is no bitterness in it. So who is right? YOU? It's your "taste"...you can't throw an aura of "right" or "wrong" based on your own taste. Learn to respect everyone's "perception" while you are free to have your "perception". Peace.:D In this case "cows" are in majority, hence Neem (Harsha) is not bitter, well reflected in poll :cantstop:
beautiful. well written