The debate over Dhoni’s withdrawal

Kumar

Fontaine, Did BCCI mandate or force Dhoni to play IPL? Did MSD request rest from IPL citing constant cricket? May we know why he chose to "put up with constant cricket" esp when IPL was nonstop for many days?
Yeah you may know. It's because of the money, the bling bling, the exposure. And screw anyone who begrudges a man for excercising the right to earn a good living. You know what I think of these holier than thou fans that expect our cricketers to sacrifice and not expect to earn a great living? I think they're right on par with scum like Matt Prior who taunted RP Singh at the crease by saying "I drive a Porsche 911 to work. What do you drive?" The richest body in cricket makes more money off these guys that any other cricket board and I don't think there's anything wrong with the players getting a big piece of that pie. ESPECIALLY when the BCCI is cutting the legs right out from under our players by stopping them from playing in England etc where counties have links to ICL. It's hypocrisy of the highest order to harp on about Dhoni's IPL. Especially from non resident indians who are earning a decent living working outside India. Every qualified Indian would love to work for an international company in India or abroad for a few months if it meant they would be financially secure for a very long time. But if you have a problem with Dhoni doing that then all you are is a hypocrital fugger (not you specifically fineleg but in general anyone out there). Is that clear?

I just hate this god damn charade of holding these players up above on a pedestal as if they are Gods to be worshipped. They are people just like you and me who have financial, social, family responsibilities and have people constantly tyring to watch/scrutinize their every move. Hangers on, fakes, wannabe's and straight up moochers who want to live off their name brand hang around these cricketers every where they go. Yet when someone like Dhoni wants to secure the financial future of his family and himself he's regarding as some sort of pariah. Screw that. The days of just wanting to play for your country for the glory of it are long gone. The BCCI made sure of that, the cricketers are just following suit. Anyone who doesn't realize that is naive beyond repair, despair, care, and prayer.

nice observations there Fontaine..as u said they are normal ppl like us its jus that we see them in a different way..so there is nothing wrong in a player securing himself financially infact there wud be something wrong with him if he doesn do that..ah but ur posts wont make sense to finey..she wud jus go on and on abt this IPL..certain things never change :D

I think somebody once made an interesting point that perhaps Dhoni didn't stay because he didn't want to be around the players and former captains who he dropped from the ODI team, I'm not saying that's the reason, just something to throw out there. Also I sometimes wonder if he may just be trying to set a precedent where other players feel at ease to take rest from games if they really need it so that nobody feels overly pressured to play.